Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2020, 06:46 PM

Default Sherwood Park Gun Range

I got the email renewal notification...
$168 to shoot ? If I read that e-mail correctly ?

This 35 year member won't be renewing.... not that desperate.
Increasing the annual fee by such a large amount is insane during times when the economy is in the toilet and covid is killing hundreds.

I'll make room for others !
Old 11-20-2020, 07:14 PM

Don't know how it was before in Sherwood Park, but CHAS bumped their membership fees up to $200.

Anyone can point me to the "just membership" option for my restricted? I know SP orders it for $78 or so... Any other options?
Old 11-20-2020, 07:30 PM

Asking around, and it appears that AFGA is demanding more money from the clubs, which is a big part of the increase, the rest is to make improvements to the facilities. When I was on the executive in Fort McMurray, we were paying over $60k to the AFGA, for less than 2000 members so we severed all ties with them and put the money into our facilities instead. I have to wonder how much the AFGA will be receiving from SPFGA after the increase?
Old 11-21-2020, 05:28 AM

Default renewals

Since I became aware of the cost and inquired with other known members.
Seems they're also not renewing.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:42 AM

I stopped my membership at our local gun range a few years ago when it went up to $200. Not because of the cost but because I could never get on, they sold to many memberships, and took on to many special shoots maybe, I don’t know? Also they had a few safety officers that policed things way be on the rules. Lots of us older guys that had memberships for years quit. It shows in the club to, the gun range is busy but they are desperate for volunteers to do other club work.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:51 AM

Well here are my thoughts, I asked myself if it was worth it well before this increase. I only use the range maybe 5 times a year. How much do I spend on other things on a monthly basis, data, coffee, restaurants, hunting accessories that I only use a couple times a season, and all kinds of other things.
So for $14.00 a month I can have a place to go and practice my shooting skills and chat with people if I choose to. I also am supporting the shooting sport. If nobody belongs to these clubs they will be forced to close and then what? The other option is to try and find a place on crown land that I can safely shoot. Drive 1-2 hours to get there + gas. Sherwood Park is in my opinion is a top notch place that offers a variety of things for us at a reasonable cost. Just look at the upgrades this past year. I don't like crowded ranges either but they need members to make it work and it is not there fault that everybody decides to go at the same time. Now if crowding happens 7 days a week that is a different story. Hopefully they watch the membership levels. So long story short, I am ok with the increase considering what I get in return and what I would spend on other stuff per month.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:08 AM

What bothers me about the price, is that so much of my membership goes to AFGA. Having dealt with them as an executive of my former range, I am well aware of how they do business, and I don't think a person should be required to join as part of a range membership. If you want to join AFGA, you can always do so as an individual. I am currently undecided as to whether I will renew this year, for that reason. I do have another membership to a range 10 minutes from home, but it is only 100m, which is the biggest reason that I also have a range membership at SPFGA.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Well here are my thoughts, I asked myself if it was worth it well before this increase. I only use the range maybe 5 times a year. How much do I spend on other things on a monthly basis, data, coffee, restaurants, hunting accessories that I only use a couple times a season, and all kinds of other things.
So for $14.00 a month I can have a place to go and practice my shooting skills and chat with people if I choose to. I also am supporting the shooting sport. If nobody belongs to these clubs they will be forced to close and then what? The other option is to try and find a place on crown land that I can safely shoot. Drive 1-2 hours to get there + gas. Sherwood Park is in my opinion is a top notch place that offers a variety of things for us at a reasonable cost. Just look at the upgrades this past year. I don't like crowded ranges either but they need members to make it work and it is not there fault that everybody decides to go at the same time. Now if crowding happens 7 days a week that is a different story. Hopefully they watch the membership levels. So long story short, I am ok with the increase considering what I get in return and what I would spend on other stuff per month.
x2. I don't mind the increase in membership fees all things considered. It is a small price to pay on a yearly basis for such an excellent facility.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:56 AM

I didn’t shoot once at one of my ranges, yet I just spent $250 to keep my spot should I decide to go.

I think I shot once at Rocky this year too. Been more focused on archery.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Absolutely spot on, but hey if you don't think that you are getting good value for your money then don't renew your membership, I'm sure the guy that is on the top of the waiting list will be happy to take your spot.

I was a member at Sherwood Park range for 25 years before I moved away, it was a great range back then, I can't speak for now as I have not been there since 1998. I volunteered regularly at the range when there was work that needed to be done or range cleanup etc. I don't think that some people understand how much work is need to keep a range going.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Absolutely spot on, but hey if you don't think that you are getting good value for your money then don't renew your membership, I'm sure the guy that is on the top of the waiting list will be happy to take your spot.

I was a member at Sherwood Park range for 25 years before I moved away, it was a great range back then, I can't speak for now as I have not been there since 1998. I volunteered regularly at the range when there was work that needed to be done or range cleanup etc. I don't think that some people understand how much work is need to keep a range going.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth
There is no longer a waiting list, the cap was removed, because a study showed that many members never actually used the range, or used it very little, so overcrowding wasn't an issue.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:16 AM
Banned

Already renewed.
Firearms ranges, archery range and trail, black powder trail, shotgun range, trout pond and free camping.
Did I miss anything?
$210 (family membership) with the increase is still a great deal.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
I got the email renewal notification...
$168 to shoot ? If I read that e-mail correctly ?

This 35 year member won't be renewing.... not that desperate.
Increasing the annual fee by such a large amount is insane during times when the economy is in the toilet and covid is killing hundreds.

I'll make room for others !

Well, the way I see it, that is still REALLY cheap for the fantastic facilities provided. They are also now paying to have the memberships done and a lot of the range work becasue it was too hard to rely on volunteers. That all costs money. This has been a far under priced membership for many years. This is still less than half what I paid in Calgary for range access and there was no Fish and Game component to that one. I have no problems paying the increased amount.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:46 AM
Banned

Also they announced a likely increase in fees to all members by email about three months ago. They stated that anyone wanting input could do so at the last couple of monthly meetings... how many here complaining attended those meeting.
It seems there are a number of people here whose hobby is whining 🙁
Old 11-21-2020, 10:24 AM

If you have a concern, you could submit it to the agenda for the AGM. Personally, I question such a large portion of the membership going to the AFGA. My other current club, and my previous club are not affiliated with the AGFA, which means that a lot more of our membership money can go towards the facilities.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:26 AM

I canceled mine also now shoot at a friends farm built a couple benches and can get out to 600 yards
Old 11-21-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There is no longer a waiting list, the cap was removed, because a study showed that many members never actually used the range, or used it very little, so overcrowding wasn't an issue.
OK I didn't know that, as I said really have not had anything to do with it since 1998 when I moved to Central Asia, that sounds like the wife's gym memberships, never gets used

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:56 PM

Just renewed my 2021 SPFGA family membership, excellent facility.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:32 PM

168.00 is not bad at all for what they offer at that range. I can get a range membership for 50.00 in places a bit further out, but it also costs me 3/4 tank of gas round trip. Just to put things in perspective;
Calgary only has two range groups in reality, one at APRA, one at CDTSA Milo or Shepard, they are both quite a ways out of town, and will take up to 1-1/2hrs to get to, usually 1/3tank of fuel for me round trip, depending on where you live, bit more, bit less. One has an access road requires a 4x4 in winter.
They are both 200.00+ memberships, and APRA membership has 4 different ranges to join @ 200.00+ ea, plus its membership, one membership does not give access to all 4 ranges. CDTSA is 450.00 or 575.00, get access to Shepard and Milo, Shepard is due to close sooner than later due to the lease expiration.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:15 PM

$168...that’s cheap. How much is a game of golf? A movie?
The club I belong to is more and I have to drive 2 hours one way to get there...count your blessings if you have a range close to home.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you have a concern, you could submit it to the agenda for the AGM. Personally, I question such a large portion of the membership going to the AFGA. My other current club, and my previous club are not affiliated with the AGFA, which means that a lot more of our membership money can go towards the facilities.
Resurrecting this thread....

Received a newsletter from SPFGA yesterday stating the AFGA had a recent meeting/review of their documents governing who is considered a member of the AFGA. The results of that meeting show SPFGA members are not actually considered members of the AFGA, just the SPFGA club as a whole is. The SPFGA has asked members to complete the poll in the email asking if they want to be affiliated with AFGA for 2021 or affiliate with a different partner for 2021(this affiliation is required to operate the facility with liability insurance).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with SPFGA and other clubs in Alberta that are currently affiliated with the AFGA.....
Old 03-02-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post

Received a newsletter from SPFGA yesterday stating the AFGA had a recent meeting/review of their documents governing who is considered a member of the AFGA. The results of that meeting show SPFGA members are not actually considered members of the AFGA, just the SPFGA club as a whole is. The SPFGA has asked members to complete the poll in the email asking if they want to be affiliated with AFGA for 2021 or affiliate with a different partner for 2021(this affiliation is required to operate the facility with liability insurance).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with SPFGA and other clubs in Alberta that are currently affiliated with the AFGA.....

That seems like a really stupid position for the AFGA to take. I know they have had issues recently but this makes no sense. How can they claim 25,000 members if it is only the club that is associated. I am going to call AFGA and ask them what is up.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:

My previous club broke ties with AFGA, and my present club has no ties with them, because so ,much of the membership fee goes to AFGA. Both clubs are now insured and support organizations that are actively fighting the federal firearms regulations and bans, and it still costs far less , than being a member of AFGA. Our members still have the option of joining AFGA if they choose, but now they have the option.

Quote:
That seems like a really stupid position for the AFGA to take. I know they have had issues recently but this makes no sense. How can they claim 25,000 members if it is only the club that is associated. I am going to call AFGA and ask them what is up.
Based on dealing with AFGA, as an executive of one of the largest clubs in the province, it was obvious, that all they wanted was our money, and they really didn't care about our club, or the members. And then when we broke away from them, they contacted our members, lied to them telling them that the range no longer had liability insurance, and tried to get our members to try and pressure us to rejoin.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:18 PM

Agree Dean and Elk, it'll be interesting to see how AFGA reacts if SPFGA votes to walk away from them for 2021. SPFGA is a fairly large club.
If I was in any other clubs with ties to AFGA I'd be asking the Executive to see if this applies to your club as well.....
Old 03-02-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Agree Dean and Elk, it'll be interesting to see how AFGA reacts if SPFGA votes to walk away from them for 2021. They're a fairly large club.
If I was in any other clubs with ties to AFGA I'd be asking the Executive to see if this applies to your club as well.....

My father was heavily involved with the AFGA for over 50 years, and served in many executive roles, including President. He even received the highest award AFGA has, the Fulton award. He would turn over in his grave if he knew about this nonsense. I left a message at their office. I definitely want to talk to the current President. Someone clearly has their head up their ass, this should have been fixed immediately.

Current position sure doesn't match what they have on their own website.

Join the Alberta Fish & Game Association
The Alberta Fish and Game Association is Alberta’s oldest and largest conservation organization—Our roots can be traced back to 1908!
Our membership is more than 24,000 in over 84 clubs throughout Alberta! Being a member increases the strength and voice of the AFGA when it deals with government, industry, and other organizations on matters and issues of concern to resident outdoor enthusiasts.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:37 PM

It sure doesn't match up, hopefully you get some clear info from AFGA on this....
Old 03-02-2021, 01:42 PM

I honestly expect that when AFGA hears that SPFGA is even conducting the poll, they will come running, hoping to smooth this over quickly. They absolutely do not want to lose the cash cow that SPFGA has been for them.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:03 PM

Exclamation My $0.02 worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
My father was heavily involved with the AFGA for over 50 years, and served in many executive roles, including President. He even received the highest award AFGA has, the Fulton award. He would turn over in his grave if he knew about this nonsense. I left a message at their office. I definitely want to talk to the current President. Someone clearly has their head up their ass, this should have been fixed immediately.

Current position sure doesn't match what they have on their own website.

Join the Alberta Fish & Game Association
The Alberta Fish and Game Association is Alberta’s oldest and largest conservation organization—Our roots can be traced back to 1908!
Our membership is more than 24,000 in over 84 clubs throughout Alberta! Being a member increases the strength and voice of the AFGA when it deals with government, industry, and other organizations on matters and issues of concern to resident outdoor enthusiasts.
Remember the slogan for the 2012 election? "This is not your father's PC Party". Well, the same applies to the AFGA. That has been fairly evident for several years.
My guess is they will use this tactic to strongarm Albertans into buying individual AFGA memberships, which equals more money for the executive to squander and/or misdirect.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-02-2021, 02:36 PM

I am a member of the club that elkhunter11 mentioned he used to belong to. I have been a member since 1975 and frankly in the last 20 years the AFGA really has done nothing for the members of of club , and very few actually knew anything about the AFGA
Since we left the AFGA, our club has done nothing but prosper and is as strong or stronger than it ever was.
Cat
Old 03-02-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I am a member of the club that elkhunter11 mentioned he used to belong to. I have been a member since 1975 and frankly in the last 20 years the AFGA really has done nothing for the members of of club , and very few actually knew anything about the AFGA
Since we left the AFGA, our club has done nothing but prosper and is as strong or stronger than it ever was.
Cat
Agreed

If the middle man is simply not worth having, cut him out. AFGA isnt the only one who can get insurance if thats their big sell point

Personally Ive been disappointed with AFGA for over a decade