Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
It looks like Abalon is doing more work, I'm sure their repair will last as long as the foundation remains dry, the same would apply for the other quote as well.

Concrete is naturally porous (like 12% void space or more), the tar spray is a good way to keep any pooled water from ingressing but the real trick is keeping the water from pooling in the first place. Fix the grading first, most of the issues will be gone.

The Sika kit is like $80, easily done in a morning, if you can run a caulking gun you can do it. If for some reason it doesn't work you can always call Abalon, if you dig the hole yourself, they might drop the price.

You can put the money you save towards a new toy...or beer
Zeke
And a hammer drill
Old 03-02-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
And a hammer drill
Well I do need one of those!!
Old 03-02-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Fix it from the outside to PREVENT the problem and rectify it.

The "inside job" still allows water to penetrate in and continue to expand/contract the joint and will only be temporary.

And, to be honest, any homeowner can "half-ass" it by doing this from the inside for a hundred bucks themselves.

Yeah, I asked why they wouldn't do outside work and all the guy told me was "We don't need to".
Oh, Okay, can you tell me the science behind, "we don't need to", because it sounds like water would still get through.

Nothing.

I liked the idea of fixing it from the outside because, well, that's just the smarter thing to do.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:41 PM

Another thing to consider is will your insurance company allow the repair to be done from the inside? I just found out I will be receiving a $20 a month discount because there is now a complete foundation report for the unit I live in that documents the repair was done by a bonded professional and the repair was done from the outside. It wont kick in until Abalone can come back to finish the grading though.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-03-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Another thing to consider is will your insurance company allow the repair to be done from the inside? I just found out I will be receiving a $20 a month discount because there is now a complete foundation report for the unit I live in that documents the repair was done by a bonded professional and the repair was done from the outside. It wont kick in until Abalone can come back to finish the grading though.
Interesting thought.
We never even contacted insurance over the issue as it costs about the same as our deductible.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:04 PM

Used this product on my brother's house a few years back and holding good. Have a few hairline cracks in my basement that seep every spring and going to order a kit again this summer along with re-grading around the house where I can. Cheaper than other kits, and you can buy direct or through amazon and a two part solution is what you want based on my research.

https://www.flexomeric.com/contracto...pair-kits.html