Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 03:28 PM

Default Bench top drill press

Good day, I am looking for some recommendations for an inexpensive bench top drill press. I am not looking for pro stuff, just something to use occasionally. Is there such a thing out there?
Thank you.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:40 PM

King bench top on Amazon. $100.00 shipped. Have been using it for a week . No complaints.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:24 PM

Canadian tire generally has one go on sale 50% off regularly. It’s a small drill press. It does what it needs to.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 03-01-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Canadian tire generally has on go on sale 50% off regularly. It’s a small drill press. It does what it needs to.

I think there's one factory in China that makes all these. I 've used a similar unit for over 30 years. They work well within their limitations, enough for most people. CT puts them on sale quite often.

Grizz
Old 03-01-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I think there's one factory in China that makes all these. I 've used a similar unit for over 30 years. They work well within their limitations, enough for most people. CT puts them on sale quite often.

Grizz
Agreed. They are definitely constructed of Chinesium.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Canadian tire generally has one go on sale 50% off regularly. It’s a small drill press. It does what it needs to.
I bought one of these too, no complaints. I usually use it on steel, seems to drill straight.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:10 PM

If I was buying a drill press I’d spend more and get a radial drill press. Would be handy for lots of woodworking projects.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:48 AM

Canadian Tire! On sale start's tomorrow!!!!!! $100.00 off!
Old 03-05-2021, 05:10 PM

Well I'll never do it again! Went to our local Canadian Tire for the drill press! They have none left. They look it up for me and say there are 6 in the next city! So its a nice day so we go for a drive. Pick it up and bring it home and I put it together, thinking more and more plastic? Then turn it on and nothing, try it again and a noise is coming from it. Then I look and the fan cover is heavy dented in, making the noise. Take it apart and back to our store for refund. Never again!
Old 03-05-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Well I'll never do it again! Went to our local Canadian Tire for the drill press! They have none left. They look it up for me and say there are 6 in the next city! So its a nice day so we go for a drive. Pick it up and bring it home and I put it together, thinking more and more plastic? Then turn it on and nothing, try it again and a noise is coming from it. Then I look and the fan cover is heavy dented in, making the noise. Take it apart and back to our store for refund. Never again!
That’s too bad. I ask for rain-checks, I don’t drive all over the place.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
That’s too bad. I ask for rain-checks, I don’t drive all over the place.
Ya me to! But thought it was a nice day and all! Ya not so much! Will look at made in Canada for now on! Tired of this!
Old 03-05-2021, 05:41 PM

Don't know why I did this! As my saying is: You get what you paid for it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Ya me to! But thought it was a nice day and all! Ya not so much! Will look at made in Canada for now on! Tired of this!
Made in Canada!!?!???! Good luck. I’d be happy with made in Guatemala. Just tired of chinesium.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Made in Canada!!?!???! Good luck. I’d be happy with made in Guatemala. Just tired of chinesium.
I look for made in the USA.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:05 PM

I have one from Lee Valley. It's nice but a bit more than a Canadian Tire one though
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-07-2021, 09:53 PM

Maybe not a bench-top, but I picked up a nice used Rockwell standup model on Kijiji a while back. Good strong induction motor and belt drive, good bearings. You might pay 250 for one.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:29 AM

I have a Cdn Tire one, but I bought it 20 years ago before I started swearing off Chinese goods wherever possible.

Lots of home shop drill presses get only minor use and show up at estate sales and online classifieds. A patient shopper could find a quality brand name unit if they bide their time
Old 03-08-2021, 08:11 AM

I picked up a nice used Rockwell standup model

I've always felt Rockwell engineers must have been in the lower half of their class. Their work lacks something, hard to put your finger on. Good for wood work, the hard stuff not so much. I bought a full sized Chinese 16 speed floor model at auction for 100. The quill was a little sloppy, but there are ways to deal with that.

Grizz