Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2008, 10:31 PM

Default ISLAND LAKE just north of smoky lake

I am going there this weekend and noticed that theres bass in there had no luck in catching the and no way of telling there numbers but ill rig up a wacky worm hell if anything ill latch onto a pike or 3 . Any one know about how many or the size of the smallies in island lake.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:57 AM

I don't know thing 1 about any smallies in that lake. I have always been interested to know but have only heard the same "tales", I think, that you have. I'm referring to if there are any left in there. If you do get there, please report back!

What I do know:
I have driven there once in the spring. I only had a two wheel drive at the time and there was too much mud for me to get stuck in so I didn't try.

Coming in from the South West it is one shallow lake. It is also quite muddy so just a heads up that it could be a hard launch if your bringing a boat. Could be tough to fish from shore as it is shallow a long way out from what I saw.

I did talk to an older gentleman about 3 years ago when fishing up in NB1. He had been to Island the day before and had good things to say about the pike and perch. Nothing about smallies. He looked at me funny when I asked so I don't think he knew. Anyways, he did say he caught quite a few pike including some in the 4-5 lb class. Nothing huge but sounded like decent action. He also pulled some nice 12 inch perch out in the winter.

That is all I can tell you.

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:49 AM

thanks.
according to anything I read that the smalliews like mid to shallow weedy area's with lots of structure. I think i will take the 12 ft alluminum and try for some see wghat I cant get hookjed up with.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:03 PM

im heading up there on sunday to maybe luck out and catch me a smallie. there was a post last week where a guy said there was confirmed catches last year. does anyone know how to get there from smoky lake?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_12 View Post
im heading up there on sunday to maybe luck out and catch me a smallie. there was a post last week where a guy said there was confirmed catches last year. does anyone know how to get there from smoky lake?
I do I do you just stay on that road going past hanmore lake enterance to Island lake is about a mile and a have past hanmore lake . on the right hand side and its about a 3 mile drive into the location , hope you have 4x4 or quads , its sticky in there .

And if your luck isnt well with Island lake try out Hanmore wicked for big pike my friend.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 AM

Thanks, maybe we will see ya out there.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:25 AM

is there a boat launch at island lake?? how about at hanmore?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:39 AM

I dont know of a boat launch at island lake but there ios a deasent boat launch at hannmore, gotta use the prov park launch. at island lake I use my 12 ft alluminum and just push it put by hand and paddle its a very shallow lake with the odd deep hole. around 15 to 20 ft.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:02 AM

we are gonna head out sunday and if we cant make it in island lake we will probably go to hanmore.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:33 AM

Best of luck look forward to hearing back from you.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:07 PM

Fishing bass is just like fishing jacks in the spring tight in the weeds in water in the 4 to 5 foot range depending on the time of the year.......i have fished them in bc and in june that is were i caught them and lures all i was usuing was a wooley bugger green and black
Old 07-01-2008, 09:06 PM

Didnt make it to island lake last weekend. a buddy stopped in on his way back from the city and said it didnt look like we could get his boat in there. has anyone tried lately??
Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 PM

how bad was the road might be fun for a little 4X4ing befor fishing
Old 07-01-2008, 09:29 PM

lol not sure. he said a guy could probably get down there with a small aluminum boat.