Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 PM

And the rest of them .

Old 07-16-2008, 04:45 PM

hey BBJ, this is pretty much the only thread im following right now, lol. i leave on july 29th at approx 2AM. 9 days of fishing bliss, and looking forward to taking my 3 daughters with my from my ex wife.

Please tell me you at least wet a line at the portage spillway while on route to winnipeg. If you do on he way back, i can let you know where to set your lines for some decent kitties. Lot of shop around there, and if your up in selkirk there is a small fishing store with great price on cat rods the last time i was there.

ttyl
Old 07-16-2008, 04:50 PM

Dont forget St.Norbet, and the LOCKS, i can almost tell you where to stand at Lockport and you would be into a good hole. La Salle has rock bass, and bluegills which are a nice treat. ttyl, of to work , gimme a shout on FB
Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
BBJ I am amember of Maforum , I made some inquieries about

current hotspots .... Will keep you posted .....

Dont you just love the net and Tree and RN possee apparently

they have a wirelesss hook up at the remand centre ,
don't know about the remand center but ponoka mental lets me out on weekends for good behaviour can't say the same for tree.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:55 PM

Hey BBJ how was your luck today. lots of big kitties i hope. well best of luck and hope to see some awesome pics.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 PM

Well I went out tonight for about 5 hours went to Selkirk and Lockport Mannaged nothing at Lockport I guess fishing is slow but better up river after rain, So off to Selkirk we went , First cast caught a stripped bass , second cast another stripped bass , and then I changed my set up was going to use them bass for kitty bait .Anyway I got hooked up with a big Cat or sturgeon , not sure what it was , anyway I was reeling it in and I missed it jump I was tightening my drag and my sister saw it jump said it was grey almost black in color , So that coulda been a sturgeon or cat , not sure , anyway line snapped but thats alright I was getting tired been a long day. We didnt get many pictures tonight as it was getting dark and pictures didnt turn out but theres a few that worked from earlyer in the evening, I will post pictures tommorow Im tired and going to bed Night yall tight lines.

BBJ

PS bigbore Ill message you on facebook here as soon as I get threw my messages on here.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:46 AM

If you are intrested look up a fella named jim hyslop out of selkirk.I fished many bass tourneys against him and he is the king of cats! Not sure what he charges for guideing but he is the best!! And he will put you on huge cats.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 AM

Cats on the Red will get you hooked up on Huge cats fish and also know's where them summer time big green Back walleyes hang out they are out of lock Port on the west side ask for Stuew
Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 PM

Default Adventure

Hey BBJ

How is the anglin? Must get this back to the top of the forum.Good luck.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:52 PM

hey big johnny hows the kitty fish'n haven't heard from you all day. maybe a cat got his tongue or should i say key board
Old 07-17-2008, 08:26 PM

So today was a day off from fishing .I went to visit family in CArmen and Morden , and tommorow is all dedicated to fishing for cats, gotta load up on some minnows and weights forgot to get some after 2 days at cabela's went back agian today . Anyway tommorow go get some minnows catch some goldeye and use gold eye and shrimp for bait maybe hook up with a few master eye's maybe a master kitty or 2 . Anyway off to go skinny dipping , gonna go wet my legs in the swimmin pool.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:08 PM

Skinny dipping?! lol

This thread has got to be one of the most popular I have seen. In 4 days, over 1300 views. Must be a popular guy John!! Or else people are just that interested in the cats...
Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 PM

I know thats insane , Lots of people are watching it I think . Anyway Off to the selkirk in the morning then ill have dinner and head to the locks for the evening bite, wish me luck ladys and gents cus the bite is on and my hook is sharp . WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO , Night yall .
Old 07-18-2008, 12:00 AM

Good luck BBJ cant wait to see some pics of some decent cats. I am super jealous of you man Cabelas looks like a sweet store. I am heading out to Crawling Valley on Saturday to slay some walleye and hopefully land a few pike as well. I will post some pics of my trip. Hope you are all well and good luck tomorrow big guy. Tight lines
Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 AM

Good luck on your trip John,
You have family in Carmen ?
You gotta check out this boat ar RPM Sales if you have time.
Sweet boat for the $$.

http://www.boat.canadatrader.com/res...2&pgno=1&srt=1

Bring it home for me LOL.

TBark
Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 AM

Talking Great Pics John

Great Pics John.

Pecker and I are following your trip, Can't wait to see some of those giant kitties. Hopefully you can hook onto some of those big ones.

Keep the updates coming.

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 07-18-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Good luck on your trip John,
You have family in Carmen ?
You gotta check out this boat ar RPM Sales if you have time.
Sweet boat for the $$.

http://www.boat.canadatrader.com/res...2&pgno=1&srt=1

Bring it home for me LOL.

TBark
Yeah man I went in there looking at those boats the place is next door to Tim Horton's . I didn't see that boat but man did they have some good deals. Sunday I'm going to steinbeck to check out the Lund Factory . I'm just leaving to go get some food and going to fish , conditions are faverable for a good fishing day, winds are calm overcast to sunny sky's not sapost to get to overly hot , and I just gotta find the tackle shop in Selkirk now . Pictures to follow folks , hold on to your seats She could be a late late night .
Old 07-18-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drano View Post
Great Pics John.

Pecker and I are following your trip, Can't wait to see some of those giant kitties. Hopefully you can hook onto some of those big ones.

Keep the updates coming.
Thats cool man , nothin wrong with that . ID say Iw ill defenetly beback maybe even come for 5 days , I bought my license for the year so I could come back and fish non stop for 5 days , bring a tent and heck yeah It would be a great time. Ok folks A fishing I A GO.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Banned

Where's all the big cat pics? I'm running out of patience here!!!!!

Good luck on hooking up a monster BBJ.

Waxy

Last edited by Waxy; 07-18-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:11 AM

Default Burger report

Hey John what about a report on the burgers ....

The peg has to be the burger capital of the free world ...

Keep us informed ...
Old 07-18-2008, 10:25 PM

Today's update . Fishing was the craps. I used minnows , I used worms , I used night crawlers , I used shrimp and nothing . I talked to 2 guides which do trips fishing was dead today they only mannaged 2 small cats , I caught 10 silver bass , which I didnt get any pictures of as the camera wasnt there at the time , the others went sight seeing as I fished but heres a few pictures , Nothing good guys is going on . Going to try maybe later tommorow in the evening , like after supper around 7:00 but I was out early and didnt catch a cold little lone a fish but when we went to the Locks Thats where I caught my fish . Heres a few pictures I took , of the view and feed dead fish to the pelican's which was cool . Heres the pictures Sorry no Major fish pictures. Ugh Im disipointed . I know I should be out there instead of on here but im damn tired and very sunburnt It got to 34 today it was hot . Hope you enjoy the pictures , ACTUAL FISH PICTURES TO COME.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:32 PM

More pictures .

Old 07-18-2008, 10:43 PM

pleasedelete

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 07-18-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:46 PM

Pictures from sight seeing yesterday.These were at some places along our way yesterday . I also found out some interesting information about my family , Turned out that my great grandpa was the first Indian dealership In the area in 1893 or something like that and he also had an insureance place and lots of other neat stuff .

Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 PM

more pictures from seeing the sights .

Old 07-18-2008, 11:46 PM

BBJ: The same side as Cat's on the Red Lodge, walk downstream alittle ways. You'll see that the river narrows the most. There is a Sandy area where we did setup and shorefish. It's easier there to cast your Bait to the main River Channel.
Have you tried fishing with Slip-bobbers yet? One day, we set up with them in a Back Eddy on the other side fishing from a boat. There was a Rock Shoal that was exposed. We managed to catch a few Rock Bass before the Cats would not leave the baits alone. The Guides were watching us as they headed closely to the Locks. We had a blast with big Kitties and Slip Bobbers.
Needless to say, the next day, there was about 4 boats anchored on that Rock Shoal. Guess what they were using.... Slip-Bobbers and Fresh cut Goldeyes..
It took 2 Hardcore Alberta Boys to show them Red River Guides where and how to catch them.... BBJ, Show them what Alberta Anglers are about !!
Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchow View Post
BBJ: The same side as Cat's on the Red Lodge, walk downstream alittle ways. You'll see that the river narrows the most. There is a Sandy area where we did setup and shorefish. It's easier there to cast your Bait to the main River Channel.
Have you tried fishing with Slip-bobbers yet? One day, we set up with them in a Back Eddy on the other side fishing from a boat. There was a Rock Shoal that was exposed. We managed to catch a few Rock Bass before the Cats would not leave the baits alone. The Guides were watching us as they headed closely to the Locks. We had a blast with big Kitties and Slip Bobbers.
Needless to say, the next day, there was about 4 boats anchored on that Rock Shoal. Guess what they were using.... Slip-Bobbers and Fresh cut Goldeyes..
It took 2 Hardcore Alberta Boys to show them Red River Guides where and how to catch them.... BBJ, Show them what Alberta Anglers are about !!
Yeah I used slip bobbers , Thats where I was catching the rock bass , Could of had more then What I said but got slow on But the rock bass and fresh water drum were biteing . Only cat fish that I saw caught today and beleave me I was watching All I saw was a 3 or 4 pounder. Talked to the guy thats staying next door to me in the hotel and he had no luck only bass and drum . Not even a gold eye . I was slip bobbing for the goldeye and then moved to shrimp and nothing . So I went back to try for walleye as there were guys catching walleye . So Who knows Ill have to try agian tommorow night , I guess ill have to ither go get more shrimp or use minnows for gold eye and use the gold eye for the Cats . Thanks TChow . I just am baffeled that they wouldnt be biteing .
Old 07-19-2008, 06:50 AM

Go to a meat market and get some "chicken livers". Just a thought' when using goldeye or sucker for bait, I hope your cutting them into chunks, not using them whole.
When you go to the Lund factory, can you ask them if they sell the wooden boat seat tops for the WD14? Thanks. eastwind.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:34 AM

Default go down stream

Hey John ... Chows right go down stream to where it gets narrower

Its all about the flow , it looks pretty calm , you want some backeddys

whirlpools ..A guy posted on the Man angler he was 200 yds downstream from the fish ladder ... I already told you get a pac of chicken livers from safeway .. Sound like early and late are the times ...

Thats why its called " Fishin " not " Catchin "
Old 07-19-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Looks like fun

Despite the slow fishing it looks like your having a great time. I was at Lochport and selkirk in June 2 years ago, real slow then too. A couple of buddies had never been cat fishing so I talked them into Manitoba, I have had tremendous success in past years at lochport I had two master anglers in one day and the biggest ugliest carp you ever seen. Not that year though not a sniff of a cat. Oh well that fishing! Pike and walleye were great at Clear lake so the trip was still great. Have fun keep us posted.