Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2017, 05:40 PM

Default Crawling Valley June 3 2017

Got out at 8:30, lake was like glass. Spent 1.5 hours trying to get new Humminbird Helix 5 to work (third trip with issues, faulty transducer and GSP thinks we are boating on the Prairie!!), Bottom bounced to "find em" both Pike and Wally were at 18 FOW, as usual just inshore of shelving water. 10 wally smallish 52 cm was biggest and 6 pikers one was 70 cm's. Pike wanted blue and wally yellow, all fish were full of shrimp, and all are still swimming. Water was clear once away from launch area, 10 feet visibility. 63 degrees F from surface to 15 FOW. White caps from nooish til we left at 3 or so.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:28 PM

Very nice report, thank you. Russ C
Old 06-03-2017, 07:02 PM

Great report! Well done!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Got out at 8:30, lake was like glass. Spent 1.5 hours trying to get new Humminbird Helix 5 to work (third trip with issues, faulty transducer and GSP thinks we are boating on the Prairie!!), Bottom bounced to "find em" both Pike and Wally were at 18 FOW, as usual just inshore of shelving water. 10 wally smallish 52 cm was biggest and 6 pikers one was 70 cm's. Pike wanted blue and wally yellow, all fish were full of shrimp, and all are still swimming. Water was clear once away from launch area, 10 feet visibility. 63 degrees F from surface to 15 FOW. White caps from nooish til we left at 3 or so.
Great report. I really like the challenge that lake brings.
Is it possible your gps is older and hasn't picked up that it's a flooded reservoir? Just a thought...
Old 06-03-2017, 08:17 PM

wildwoods; that was a thought I had BUT it's a 2017 Helix 5 Gen 2. I have had nothing but trouble with it, waiting to see what Wholesale and Humminbird will do about it. Tomorrow I will put my older 733 ci back on the boat. So far I'm out about $700 in cash, lots of hours in conversation and email with Humminbird and three trips to a Lake.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
wildwoods; that was a thought I had BUT it's a 2017 Helix 5 Gen 2. I have had nothing but trouble with it, waiting to see what Wholesale and Humminbird will do about it. Tomorrow I will put my older 733 ci back on the boat. So far I'm out about $700 in cash, lots of hours in conversation and email with Humminbird and three trips to a Lake.
Yeah I've been there before. Nothing is more frustrating on the lake whe. The "high end" electronics fail you repeatedly. Hope you sort it out
Old 06-04-2017, 10:55 AM

great report, thanks

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 06-04-2017, 11:14 AM

The updated Navionics card has Crawling Valley reservoir - all others I have seen including the Humminbird zeroline believes it is still Barkenhouse lake. I always thought it funny to watch as I crossed from lake over land to another lake and then parked my boat on land in the marina.