Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Salmon Fishing

A complete rookie here when it comes to BC salmon, a couple of my buddies and I want to give it a try some time this fall. Any advice on when and were to go? Probably be fishing the rivers to keep the cost down but off-shore could be an option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

Getting kinda late..
I would look at going next year.
There might be a few runs around.. But traditionaly its a June, July, August thing.

If you want some more info on where we go, please feel free to ask or Pm me.

Jamie
Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Banned

Salmon fishing is a different type of fishing.. It is very species specific and timing is everything... There are a few options for you guys...

First of all do you have you're own boat and equipment and are you planning on using it ??? If you want an honest opinion if this is you're first time I would not go it alone I would charter.. You can and most likely will waste a lot of money and time going it alone.. If there are 3 -4 of you a charter is quite reasonable you could expect to pay around $200 - 300 a piece for a good days charter maybe less in the fall and if you book more than one day...
You're options are limited this late in the fall.. But late fall saltwater fishing means one thing,,, Chum salmon fishing out of Camble River.... This is a fishery that is overlooked by most but it is some of the best to be had.. Chum are not known as the best table fare but to us drylanders I hardly think we would know the difference.. I actually like Chum they are a little oilier than other salmon species but are lighter tasting and they are fabulous smokers.. Chum Salmon are the second largest of the 5 pacific salmon and anyone who has ever caught one will testify they are one of the best scrappers.. They will run against anything of their size.. If you time it rite say around the middle of Oct you can expect non stop action.. And you can also expect to latch on to a few nice Coho as well and more than likely the odd large Chinook.. But again time is running out,, another month or more and the fishing all but shuts down... Unless you're a local it hardly pays to go...

Most Lodges have a bit of a reduced rate for fall but you can do it a lot cheaper if you charter you're own and motel it.. You can do it on a small budget and I just about guarantee you will have fish for the year...

Best of luck.. I will warn you tho Salmon fishing is a disease and once you have it you're done,, and I mean it,, its very addictive but what a blast...
Old 09-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Salmon fishing is a different type of fishing.. It is very species specific and timing is everything... There are a few options for you guys...

First of all do you have you're own boat and equipment and are you planning on using it ??? If you want an honest opinion if this is you're first time I would not go it alone I would charter.. You can and most likely will waste a lot of money and time going it alone.. If there are 3 -4 of you a charter is quite reasonable you could expect to pay around $200 - 300 a piece for a good days charter maybe less in the fall and if you book more than one day...
You're options are limited this late in the fall.. But late fall saltwater fishing means one thing,,, Chum salmon fishing out of Camble River.... This is a fishery that is overlooked by most but it is some of the best to be had.. Chum are not known as the best table fare but to us drylanders I hardly think we would know the difference.. I actually like Chum they are a little oilier than other salmon species but are lighter tasting and they are fabulous smokers.. Chum Salmon are the second largest of the 5 pacific salmon and anyone who has ever caught one will testify they are one of the best scrappers.. They will run against anything of their size.. If you time it rite say around the middle of Oct you can expect non stop action.. And you can also expect to latch on to a few nice Coho as well and more than likely the odd large Chinook.. But again time is running out,, another month or more and the fishing all but shuts down... Unless you're a local it hardly pays to go...

Most Lodges have a bit of a reduced rate for fall but you can do it a lot cheaper if you charter you're own and motel it.. You can do it on a small budget and I just about guarantee you will have fish for the year...

Best of luck.. I will warn you tho Salmon fishing is a disease and once you have it you're done,, and I mean it,, its very addictive but what a blast...
I agrre with the whole post.
My first time we went to early, it was "Semi" guided (We had a fishmaster) I wish we had done the fully guided thing for our first and possibly second times. I feel right now I would be more than able to handel myself in a Semi guided situation.
Reduced rates can be a bargain if you know where to look. I turned down a $1500 deal for 5 days this summer (Fully guided including flights from Vancouver)

And perhaps the most important part of his post
THIS IS ADICTIVE.

Jamie
Old 09-27-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Equipment

Ok, I guess maybe it would be better to go next season. I got into fly fishing here in Alberta after moving here from Saskatchewan about six years ago and I think I've only used the old trusty spinning gear once or twice in Manitoba this past summer. Would love to get some salmon fly fishing gear, I've done a bit of homework on what type of set up to get but as you guessed it is pretty specific to the type of fly and how big the fish are. With the dollar being at par I have found some pretty good deals on equipment in the US but I am still pretty uncertain on what I need to fish the Fraser River.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

Cripes.. Never thought about river fishing..

Though if you buy stuff for the ocean.. I would recomend Islander Reels... By far and the best I have ever used!!

Jamie
Old 09-29-2007, 03:17 AM

Red face

was fishing squamish river last weekend caught abot 5 pink salmon, and one coho, but the pinks are spwaning right now you could literily walk in the river and hand pick the salmon you want what a experince it was hopefully to hit it up maybe sunday if is stops raining here in bc, this river in october has a great run of coho and chum too

Last edited by theduke; 09-29-2007 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:26 AM

here are some pics only could take a few after my camera died caught them on spoons too but if u guys come down here in october u might get lucky with the cohos, chilliwak river is a good place to try too and ill give bc credit for one thing and its it wilderness amazing places
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e7a9821b.jpg (40.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg e7a98215.jpg (60.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg e7a98210.jpg (52.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg e7a98203.jpg (67.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg e7a981fc.jpg (75.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-29-2007, 02:39 PM

went to campbell river last year about mid sept. chum and coho were plentiful, if your looking to charter next year try silverking lodge. guides are awesome and make sure you get into fish.chum are a blast, gotta be one of the hardest fighting fish around. one particular guide that is the best is thor.