Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
No, the gophers are part of the business plan. Everyone knows there is no money in farming and it doesn't matter what happens on the neighbors land.
Lmao. I hope my badger conservation zone won't affect your business venture. We all know that gophers and badgers get along good. I guess we'd both be happy I could pay you for feeding my badgers and you could pay me for the bigger holes my badgers made for the gohpers. Win win
Old 03-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I guess I need to look at this differently. As you tell by my handle, I shoot coyotes. And I am good at it. I am getting calls already to come out and shoot some as they are becoming an issue for ranchers. I am thinking that I should start charging for this as well. Right now, when I shoot coyotes for a rancher, it's all cost for me and benefit for them. I am thinking that equation is backwards. That is definitely wrong.
I would think that the benefit is mutual!
Old 03-29-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Good stewards of the land must pay bad stewards of their land to be good stewards of the land.
I pray your being sarcastic

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhguy View Post
I pray your being sarcastic
More satirical, a bit of truth with a dose of the sardonic. Though if you read the article I posted above, I guess producers are being sarcastic too.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
So you are already boycotting Alberta beef.
Ironic how you in the past bragged about how meat tasted better

"Grain fed moose is best for me, but the ones I shoot are grain and grass fed. No pine needles and swamps. "

What other names are you using here ?

Are you trying to rally up some pms from members willing to pay you, solician illegal activity? Your above quote shows this whole thread is a contradiction to what you believe

Last edited by bhguy; 03-29-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I would think that the benefit is mutual!
Why would it be mutual? This time of year the pelts aren't worth anything. The cost of fuel, bullets, rifles, optics, wear and tear on my vehicle etc isn't mutual? I receive no renumeration from the farmer.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Lmao. I hope my badger conservation zone won't affect your business venture. We all know that gophers and badgers get along good. I guess we'd both be happy I could pay you for feeding my badgers and you could pay me for the bigger holes my badgers made for the gohpers. Win win
Don't worry, I will apply for compensation. And guys love shooting badgers just as much as gophers. I can probably get a premium for a badger hunt.

The sound of gun fire till almost midnight in the summer months will be the sound of money to my ears. I am sure the neighbors won't mind what I do on my land.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Why would it be mutual? This time of year the pelts aren't worth anything. The cost of fuel, bullets, rifles, optics, wear and tear on my vehicle etc isn't mutual? I receive no renumeration from the farmer.
If there is no joy in it do not do it. Those guys are probably calling you because they think you like or have fun killing coyotes.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I think that landowners should be compensated in some way because damage has been caused as a result the numbers of game have being increased to provide more hunting activity.

The firefighter thing does not work for me! Limited hunting where the game is during hunting season does little to ease the results of damage caused by a hungry herd in an areas that is invaded after hunting season.

PREDATOR PREDATION AND UNGULATE DAMAGE COMPENSATION PROGRAMS ALREADY EXIST!

Sorry Covey, had to do it. Despite this being information being offered many times in this thread, some are just not willing to let is sink in.

Predator Compensation
http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife...n-program.aspx

Ungulate Compensation
http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife...pensation.aspx

Quote:
I think that the motivation for some of these threads is just to obtain forced permission from landowners.

Bull.... The motivation is to stop the ABP from successfully lobbying the government to allow Paid Access to both Private and Leased Land for hunting and the privatization of Licences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I think we need to take a closer look at the ranching industry in Alberta in regards to how it is affecting the water quality in our lakes, rivers & irrigation districts.

We also need further testing of spring melt water from feedlots and ranch yards for pollutants and biologically hazardous waste.

We also need to lobby government to make ranchers financially responsible for remediation of riverbanks, lake shores and wetlands from damage due to cattle.

I think it is also fair that the tax payer is compensated for the use of water - a public resource - by ranchers.

I also think a close look at methane pollution by cattle in Alberta is in order. The rest of Alberta's industries have been forced to reduce carbon emissions, maybe its time to apply this to ranching?

Lastly, a good look at subsidies and tax breaks provided to ranchers in Alberta to see if they adequately reflect economic conditions and current public sentiment of the industry.

What is that? Something about cake and eating it?

Very True.... The current ABP strategy involves calculating all costs to their business attributed to wildlife.

What if the accounting included the damages their operations incur on the environment?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-29-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
If there is no joy in it do not do it. Those guys are probably calling you because they think you like or have fun killing coyotes.
Sure I have fun. Lots of fun. But fun doesn't pay the bills and we are talking about the bottom line here. Aren't we?
Old 03-29-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Don't worry, I will apply for compensation. And guys love shooting badgers just as much as gophers. I can probably get a premium for a badger hunt.

The sound of gun fire till almost midnight in the summer months will be the sound of money to my ears. I am sure the neighbors won't mind what I do on my land.
Ever been up here. You might be surprised at how well you'd fit in.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:38 PM

I am just up the road in PR. I have been over your way helping farmers get the land back together after oil activities for several years now. I help farmers all the time even when it is beyond my scope of work. I don't even wait for them to ask, I look around the property and if it's in the realm of reality I offer. Most accept and I enjoy helping them out because I understand how small business works. My parents owned a private business for 27 years in a rural town and farmers where a good portion of our clients.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Sure I have fun. Lots of fun. But fun doesn't pay the bills and we are talking about the bottom line here. Aren't we?
So it's a hobby. I wish I could get my hobby paid for.
Paying bills. That's reaching because the bills are already being paid. Making a profitable business maybe. Making money off someone's hobby yes.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsMav View Post
exactly sneeze. Do the dimwits promoting paid access not understand they will immediately have a pretty large interest group (outdoorsmen) pushing for exactly what you just laid out? if not only to teach the greedy a lesson.

Sure! Lobby the government to allow paid access. You can bet your rear end I, along with many others will, in response, go right to our government as well and push for any form of pain in the arse legislation we can make happen. Two way street boys.
Sooooooo, you guys are threatening the land owners to do it your way or you will take action against them? Sure I know you are talking about the dimwits promoting paid access, but this thread seems to be mostly against landowners who will not let anyone and everyone on their property. This has nothing to do with having your cake and eating it too, but seems to be more about shooting yourself in the foot.

Way to make friends
Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Hunting isn't a hobby for all. I don't buy meat, I harvest it from nature. I don't buy fish, I catch it. Don't brush a food source as a hobby. In the same light you could broad stroke and say any farmer that works separately from his farm , his farm therefore is a hobby as it is not his main income, why should my taxes pay towards his hobby?
Are you a subsistence hunter or life choice?
Old 03-29-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
What is the difference? Just so I can answer correctly

Old 03-29-2014, 01:50 PM

I have fun at work too. Lots of fun. It isn't a hobby? Don't equate fun with just hobbies.

My kids are fun sometimes. Sometimes they are a pain in the azz. Hobby or work?

My really hobby is arguing! My wife says I love it and she can see the smile on my face. I have spent enough time going back and forth today. You know where I stand.

Spring is coming and the board will die down soon. Our passions will be focused on other items.

For all the farmers out there, good luck this year and I pray some rain comes your way at the right times.

Remember, we are all in this together!

Last edited by Albertacoyotecaller; 03-29-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
What is the difference? Just so I can answer correctly
Curiosity is all. Don't have to answer.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I have fun at work too. Lots of fun. It isn't a hobby? Don't equate fun with just hobbies.

My kids are fun sometimes. Sometimes they are a pain in the azz. Hobby or work?
Yes I don't mind work. Would rather be hunting but it is what it is. Kids all of the above.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ironic how you in the past bragged about how meat tasted better

"Grain fed moose is best for me, but the ones I shoot are grain and grass fed. No pine needles and swamps. "

What other names are you using here ?

Are you trying to rally up some pms from members willing to pay you, solician illegal activity? Your above quote shows this whole thread is a contradiction to what you believe
That was from a thread asking what is your favorite game to eat.

The moose I shoot are grain and grass fed, on my land.

I replied to that thread using the same user name, the only one I have.

Not trying to solicit any PMs, but have gotten a few telling me not all Alberta hunters have the disdain for farmers that are being expressed here. A few were guys that recognized my location because they have hunted here before.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
He chooses not to buy farmers beef, but expects farmers to help feed him.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:28 PM

Just for the record...

I do not dislike farmers. Especially the family farmer. Big corporate farms are a different story.

Just because a person argues a point about wildlife in the farm situation doesn't mean anything more than they hold a different view.

I hope all the people of Alberta continued success in hunting, fishing, and farming. The three items overlap and we need to come up with solutions to our problems through a clear thought process that will work for each group that has a vested interest.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, the gophers are part of the business plan. Everyone knows there is no money in farming and it doesn't matter what happens on the neighbors land.
So when presented with the opportunity you decide you are better of to let someone else pay for the quarter and you leech off of them to enjoy your hobby.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:34 PM

With all the money I will be making, my new hobby will be vacationing with my farmer friend from work.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
With all the money I will be making, my new hobby will be vacationing with my farmer friend from work.
You should applaud success not hate on it.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:50 PM

I do. I tell my buddy good on you. Then he tells me how he is so poor, he doesn't know if he can go on another trip. I then make him buy me lunch!

Can't play both sides of the coin.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
He chooses not to buy farmers beef, but expects farmers to help feed him.
I am a farmer...how many posts have I said that?? How do I not buy produced food and expect you to feed me ?? Please explain yet another contradiction

Old 03-29-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I have never been denied access for coyotes or gophers. Big game? Absolutely.
How about buy some land then and you can grant yourself permission because it's something you BOUGHT, so you can use it, just cause you ask me to drive my car doesn't mean I will let you.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
But my hobbies seems to be helping the farmers bottom line. I have spent time and effort learning the trade so I should be putting a name on a business card and charging. The farmer can pay for my invested time.

Hobby is something I do for myself, not for others.
Go ahead print some cards, good luck to you. Nobody is stopping you.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am just up the road in PR. I have been over your way helping farmers get the land back together after oil activities for several years now. I help farmers all the time even when it is beyond my scope of work. I don't even wait for them to ask, I look around the property and if it's in the realm of reality I offer. Most accept and I enjoy helping them out because I understand how small business works. My parents owned a private business for 27 years in a rural town and farmers where a good portion of our clients.
You know that oil companies pay for access to the resource.
Closed Thread