Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
Take a long a camera (even just a cheap point and shoot) and say have the person say photographer. They can legally call and look for animals for their own enjoyment;.
Like! Let's push this one to it's logical limit. Your photographer spouse can legally use electronic calls and bait to get those nature shots!

I'm joking.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Try explaining to F & W that you are just hunting coyotes and wolves with the trusty 300 win mag, dressed in camo, with elk call around your neck. good Luck! The judge would also like to hear your story.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:35 AM

Maybe just tell them your going to hold your breath till your face turns blue if they don’t change the law.

This really shouldn’t be that hard.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Try explaining to F & W that you are just hunting coyotes and wolves with the trusty 300 win mag, dressed in camo, with elk call around your neck. good Luck! The judge would also like to hear your story.
You lost me there Wolf. It's not illegal for you to wear camo, anywhere, anytime. Coyote hunters certainly wear it. You can carry your rifle around any bush but provincial parks and restricted areas. Caliber would seem to me to be irrelevant. We can't even decide on this forum what is an appropriate caliber to hunt various game animals. LOL. Call? Not illegal to possess one. Wouldn't an officer have to catch you shooting at an elk (or maybe calling one) without a valid license to realistically get a conviction if you are on land where you have a right to possess a firearm?
Old 12-08-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You lost me there Wolf. It's not illegal for you to wear camo, anywhere, anytime. Coyote hunters certainly wear it. You can carry your rifle around any bush but provincial parks and restricted areas. Caliber would seem to me to be irrelevant. We can't even decide on this forum what is an appropriate caliber to hunt various game animals. LOL. Call? Not illegal to possess one. Wouldn't an officer have to catch you shooting at an elk (or maybe calling one) without a valid license to realistically get a conviction if you are on land where you have a right to possess a firearm?
My take is it’s not illegal to do all that you’ve listed and requires none of the “well they would need to prove it”.

According to the wildlife act that was previously posted if you do not have a weapon and your intention is to watch then it should not be illegal. If you like to call elk so you can watch your friend have a crack at one that’s not illegal. If you want to walk through a thicket of brush because you want to watch run away from you that’s alright too. The key part appears to be not having a weapon which seems perfectly logical.

If you and a friend went for a drive odds are that only one of you was the driver, if you and a friend are out on a hunt I don’t see why automatically both of you are the hunter.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Hmmmm a very stiff warning and now your on thier radar, things are not really that complicated when it comes to the regs u less your a criminal trying to find grey areas etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-11-2017, 07:47 AM

So I’m not allowed to help my kids hunt?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-11-2017, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
So I’m not allowed to help my kids hunt?
You don’t let your kids fill their tags first? To me it seems selfish not to.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
You don’t let your kids fill their tags first? To me it seems selfish not to.
What in the world are you talking about?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
What in the world are you talking about?
Why would you not be allowed to help your kids if you still had a tag?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Why would you not be allowed to help your kids if you still had a tag?
I don’t keep the same schedule as my kids nor should I even have to purchase a tag to help them fill theirs. Not only that, but not all tags are valid in all WMU’s.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Banned

My son got drawn for a tag but I didn’t. My son is 12, it was our first year putting in for them, his first year hunting. I can’t go and help my 12 year old son?just because I don’t have a tag for that area doesn’t mean much.

Hunting without the license, I agree, carry a camera or something like that, but don’t help in the hunt. Recovery is fine as I see it.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
When your tag elk/moose etc is filled you can no longer participate in hunt. You need to chill out in camp with your gun locked in the truck. ( Unless of course you have a deer tag etc to fill)
If there is an OPEN season in the immediate areas for wolf, coyote, bear ? Then a firearm can carried even if the gun owner has cancelled any or all of his moose , elk or deer tags ! Duh
Old 12-11-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
(2) A person shall not be regarded as having hunted a subject animal
(a)
for the purposes of subsection (1)(o)(ii), if
(i) the person was not carrying a weapon, and
(ii) the purpose of the person’s activity was restricted to watching, photographing, drawing or painting a picture of the animal,

Exactly, should have followed that link to the wildlife act earlier. It’s perfectly fine for someone to tag along as long as they don’t have a weapon and they are just watching.
Yep, not carrying a weapon, your not hunting. Your watching the animals.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 12-11-2017, 12:26 PM

I will help my kids every year get there animal regardless if my tag is filled or not who is going to stop you
Old 12-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
I will help my kids every year get there animal regardless if my tag is filled or not who is going to stop you
X 2, for the past 20+ years
Old 12-11-2017, 03:18 PM

Since when is it illegal to just walk in the bush with a rifle for bear protection?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Since when is it illegal to just walk in the bush with a rifle for bear protection?
It’s not.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-11-2017, 03:31 PM

I really dont care if there are any hunting seasons open or not if im in the bush in bear country i generally pack a gun.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hmmmm a very stiff warning and now your on thier radar, things are not really that complicated when it comes to the regs u less your a criminal trying to find grey areas etc.
If you are not doing anything illegal why is it a concern if you get a "stiff" warning or are on their "radar".

Seems like paranoia to me and the person who fears a warning or such is the person who is trying to hide something.

Governments like it when the populace is afraid of the so called "officials".
Old 12-11-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbpuppy View Post
Just wondering if any of you fellas know if it would be legal to bring my wife for a ride in the bush while possibly getting a few grouse, even though she doesn't have a hunting license? Like, she would just be chilling in the truck kind of thing. As she has a broken leg, and wants to tag along with me this weekend.

Thanks guys,
No problem,
Been the guy tagging along with the pack on many times too,
Just don't break away, push bush etc, carry a 300 win mag and tell them you are bird hunting while your buddy is big game hunting...something is fishy about that story....and like I mentioned might get you on the radar for the wrong reason.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercreek View Post
If you are not doing anything illegal why is it a concern if you get a "stiff" warning or are on their "radar".

Seems like paranoia to me and the person who fears a warning or such is the person who is trying to hide something.

Governments like it when the populace is afraid of the so called "officials".
Just don't be that person, think about it if the tables are turned and your the officer, things look a little out of wack and in many times leads to illegal activity so they will ensure you understand the consequences is all unless your a crook then hey who cares doesn't matter what is said then....

Old 12-14-2017, 10:17 AM

A father in bush with his 12 year old son or daughter would probably get a pass by F & W and a wise judge.