Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-24-2015, 06:58 PM

Default Elite Bows vrs everything else ?

Hello so today i went and shot some bows i seem to buy at least one new bow every year. I thought i had it narrowed down to the mathews No cam after shooting several others bowtech, hoyt, then before leaving i tried the new 2015 elite energy OMG is it just me or does this bow feel and shoot unreal ? would like some feed back so far i hear all good things peoples thoughts thanks
Old 04-24-2015, 07:03 PM

Great bows ...not speed demons but focus more on smooth draw and low vibration. Very comparable to an Athens
For me the one thing I dont like about Elite is the grip but that is personal prefference!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:07 PM

I really enjoyed the Elite. If it was not for the Prime I shot and fell in love with I probably would have bought an Elite.

I shot almost all of the new offerings this year and those 2 were heads above for me but one of my hunting partners cant say enough good things about his RPM.

All personal preference but if you liked the Elite than give a Prime a test run as well.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 PM

Default Elite

Yes so many to choose from lots of good products out these days
Old 04-24-2015, 10:49 PM

Elite are good bows with arguably the best warranty out there...smooth draw, but to me they are a tad slow.

LC
Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 PM

Default Bow

How slow ? Has any body have any speeds ? Sometimes I think speed is over rated I have not owned a bow that shoots over 300 yet at 29 inch 70 lbs with a carbon express maxima hunter 350 arrow ! I guess I did own one but only for a day and hated it lol, is it close to the 290 mark ?
Old 04-25-2015, 07:51 AM

Slow isnt the right word they just arent as fast as some ither offerings with IBO speeds of 330-340 fps they are a bit slower than some new offerings from other manufacturersthat are ranging 340-370.

Personally with more speed comes more tuning issues and I dont feel it makes a ton of difference in the end anyway.
Elites focus is more on the "shootability" and often smooth draw, low vibration bows are not fast as they don't go hand in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews z7 View Post
How slow ? Has any body have any speeds ? Sometimes I think speed is over rated I have not owned a bow that shoots over 300 yet at 29 inch 70 lbs with a carbon express maxima hunter 350 arrow ! I guess I did own one but only for a day and hated it lol, is it close to the 290 mark ?
Old 04-25-2015, 08:49 AM
Banned

As mentioned above, they make a great product and both Zmathews and Elite have great customer service but....

With the performance both the HTR and the Energy are putting out at 70#, most bows can do at 60, or even 50#. I shot them, along with the Hoyt's (which I own a couple of), the PSE's, Primes and the Bowtechs, and out of all the ones I tried I ended up with the Bowtech 360. At 50# the 360 has the same performance as the HTR @ 70#, that's in real life speeds, not claimed IBO speeds.

This is just something to consider because most people test shooting a bow don't think about the speed the bow is putting out, but if you were to try a bow at 50# side by side with a bow at 70# and see which bow you prefer to shoot, and even compare the noise, I'm sure the 50# bow would be the winner. Both noise and vibration have a lot to do with the speed in which the string is moving, that's why slower bows seem so quiet and vibration free. To put it in perspective, take that HTR at 90# and shoot it side by side with a 360 set at 70# and see which bow you prefer to shoot, my guess is the 360 would be the winner.

I'm not trying to bash any bow, I'm just trying to put things into perspective. A lot of people pick a bunch of bows off the rack and try them out and focus on the weight, draw cycle, noise, and vibration, but never consider the actual arrow speed as part of the equation. Even though they might all be set to the same draw weight and draw length, it's still not comparing apples to apples.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:16 AM
Banned

I've shot Elite for years, great product and kill everything from Buffalo to gophers with these bows.

Regarding speed, thank god I focus more on the game than the equipment as I never once worried about this
Old 04-25-2015, 09:34 AM

So are you saying arrow speed is the apples to apples comparison?

From what I have seen is most people usually have a few bows selected based on ibo or brand or hype.

For the most part I understand what you are saying but there are two schools of thought speed or shootablity. I doubt someone that can or normally shoots a 70 lb 360 is going to go down to 50 or 60 lbs because its still fast but shootability is better. Why not just buy the bow that you like and shoot it in the fashion it was designed??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
As mentioned above, they make a great product and both Zmathews and Elite have great customer service but....

With the performance both the HTR and the Energy are putting out at 70#, most bows can do at 60, or even 50#. I shot them, along with the Hoyt's (which I own a couple of), the PSE's, Primes and the Bowtechs, and out of all the ones I tried I ended up with the Bowtech 360. At 50# the 360 has the same performance as the HTR @ 70#, that's in real life speeds, not claimed IBO speeds.

This is just something to consider because most people test shooting a bow don't think about the speed the bow is putting out, but if you were to try a bow at 50# side by side with a bow at 70# and see which bow you prefer to shoot, and even compare the noise, I'm sure the 50# bow would be the winner. Both noise and vibration have a lot to do with the speed in which the string is moving, that's why slower bows seem so quiet and vibration free. To put it in perspective, take that HTR at 90# and shoot it side by side with a 360 set at 70# and see which bow you prefer to shoot, my guess is the 360 would be the winner.

I'm not trying to bash any bow, I'm just trying to put things into perspective. A lot of people pick a bunch of bows off the rack and try them out and focus on the weight, draw cycle, noise, and vibration, but never consider the actual arrow speed as part of the equation. Even though they might all be set to the same draw weight and draw length, it's still not comparing apples to apples.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
So are you saying arrow speed is the apples to apples comparison?

From what I have seen is most people usually have a few bows selected based on ibo or brand or hype.

For the most part I understand what you are saying but there are two schools of thought speed or shootablity. I doubt someone that can or normally shoots a 70 lb 360 is going to go down to 50 or 60 lbs because its still fast but shootability is better. Why not just buy the bow that you like and shoot it in the fashion it was designed??
Yes, I am saying arrow speed is the apples to apples.

I'm NOT saying speed be the deciding factor, which some people like to think.

If an arrow speed of 275fps is fine with you that's fine, but to say the draw cycle of an Elite is so much better than a PSE decree when both are set to 70# is fine, but it's not a fair comparison because the decree is way faster. You're pulling 70# when you only have to pull 50lbs.

Take two of the same model speed bows, any speed bows set one at 70# and one at 50# and shoot them side by side. Pay attention to the draw cycle, noise and vibration. The 50# bow will win in all categories accept speed. You will be able to hold that bow back on target forever if you're used to shooting a 70# bow. Now compare that bow to another bow that's not a speed bow but within the same actual arrow speed and repeat the comparison. I'm not saying the 50# bow will win in every category, but it might, and it will be a fair comparison between the two.

Are you starting to see what I'm trying to convey here? It's not about the fastest bow, it's about comparing bows at the same speed. Whether you want to admit it or not, speed is an advantage in archery. If not just to have a faster arrow, speed lets you achieve a higher KE for hitting power for those not so perfect angles.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:50 AM

Default Bow

Quote:

If an arrow speed of 275fps is fine with you that's fine, but to say the draw cycle of an Elite is so much better than a PSE decree when both are set to 70# is fine, but it's not a fair comparison because the decree is way faster. You're pulling 70# when you only have to pull 50lbs.

Take two of the same model speed bows, any speed bows set one at 70# and one at 50# and shoot them side by side. Pay attention to the draw cycle, noise and vibration. The 50# bow will win in all categories accept speed. You will be able to hold that bow back on target forever if you're used to shooting a 70# bow. Now compare that bow to another bow that's not a speed bow but within the same actual arrow speed and repeat the comparison. I'm not saying the 50# bow will win in every category, but it might, and it will be a fair comparison between the two.

Are you starting to see what I'm trying to convey here? It's not about the fastest bow, it's about comparing bows at the same speed. Whether you want to admit it or not, speed is an advantage in archery. If not just to have a faster arrow, speed lets you achieve a higher KE for hitting power for those not so perfect angles.
This may sound stupid but what is the elite bow for let off because it feels like I am holding hardly any at 70 lbs pretty nice I can't find it on there web sight ?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
This may sound stupid but what is the elite bow for let off because it feels like I am holding hardly any at 70 lbs pretty nice I can't find it on there web sight ?
It's the "valley". Some cams on some bows have big valleys, where you almost have to push it to go off. The downfall to big valleys are usually the transition into the valley causes a bit of a jerking motion when you roll over the hump.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You would need to refference the website to be sure but they might be as high as 85%
Old 04-26-2015, 10:04 AM

Makes sense forsure, I got what you were saying initially. Unfourtunately its is a very hard comparison to complete.

Quote:

Old 04-26-2015, 12:05 PM

After shooting Mike_W's new Athens..... a bowtech experience again.. a RPM360 and an Elite... PRIME is still the smoothest in any poundage setting imho and not because i shoot one. My 72 Prime Alloy feels like pulling a 60 lb bowtech experience... and both bow s have the same IBO.

Pretty hard to buy a bad bow these days. Some want the Camaro.. some want a Chevy Cruize.... some just want what fits and feels right. Just let it be that.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 PM

Default Bow

I can't agree more, I may have to try the prime bows as well !!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 AM

To many speed isnt everything...with speed there is usually a pay off...for example short brace height...or duel cams..which can result in a harsher draw...

If the bow fits and you can shoot it like the best or most accurate bow you ever had...dont let a little speed obscure you decision...

Speed can just make you miss a lot faster...

Personally I dont worry about speed, I will choice my bow on how well it fits, how comfortable it is to shoot and how accuarte it is for me to shoot...

In my comfort zone of modern bows now...64-66 lbs ..even at my shorter draw 28" ...my arrows if I do my part still sizzle pass thru's on elk or moose...
JMHO
Neil
Old 04-28-2015, 07:20 PM

From my limited experience, the elites shoot great. I don't care as much about speed as I do an accurate & forgiving bow with a livable draw cycle.

I still feel a bit uncomfortable thinking about buying a bow from a company that had a high level corporate officer get so many game violations though. The fact that their show is called "respect the game" doesn't help any. While I'm sure corporate officers for pretty much every company have done things that wouldn't reflect well on their corporation, for now there seem to be enough other companies offering alternatives that I'll probably continue to look elsewhere.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 PM

Personally I like 6.5 inch or better brace height and a fast bow...32-34 inches long for hunting. Being off on yardage estimate distance by just 5 yards can be a large difference with a slow bow....the flatter trajectory and added energy is a good thing IMHO. Honestly smoothness doesn't weigh much into my hunting bow choice, target/3d bow perhaps...but not hunting.

LC
Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 PM

Default Elite 32 energy

Well I went with the elite 32 energy just loved the way it shot and felt if it turns out it's not for me I will still have my chill that I love also , I went out of my comfort zone going with a not such a big name brand (yet) I did this two years ago when I bought a APA m6 and that was a huge mistake bow had to go back for fixing several times. Not knocking APA I just had no luck With mine. Thanks for all the replies and comments .
Old 04-29-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
You would need to refference the website to be sure but they might be as high as 85%
it would be right around 90% there web site doesn't say exactly but if you do the math from there chart it right there
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-04-2015, 05:46 AM

Archery tackle has improved so much over the last couple decades. Its very refreshing to say the least.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Personally I like 6.5 inch or better brace height and a fast bow...32-34 inches long for hunting. Being off on yardage estimate distance by just 5 yards can be a large difference with a slow bow....the flatter trajectory and added energy is a good thing IMHO. Honestly smoothness doesn't weigh much into my hunting bow choice, target/3d bow perhaps...but not hunting.

LC
Hence another top reason to join an bowhunter shoot...hone those ranging skills in real bowhunting scenio

Neil