Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-04-2014, 06:24 PM

Default opening weekend for rifle

Had an excellent time hunting this past saturday and sunday in wmu 320, (14) my first time hunting myself for white tail/bull elk, with my dad and brother,13.

On the first my dad and I had been sitting in the tree stand for a while when he decided we should take a walk on the quarter section we where hunting on. I went down first with no gun in hand as my dad was about to lower them down when i noticed a pine martin a tree, and at the bottom of the tree not 40 yards away where two very large bull elk, one legal and the other not. It was definitely cool to see elk that close! was definitely a very awkward situation haha. My dad has a cow elk draw while i have the bull elk tag.

Shortly after they left my dad came down and we had barely moved a couple of meters when we spotted a bull moose not that far into the bushes. We didn't see to much else the rest of the day except for a nice 4x5 white tail buck and a couple of does but still definitely neat to see all of those animals in one day.

I had a couple of opportunities at some white tail does, but decided to wait until this coming long weekend. Very excited! will post again next week if anything exciting happens. Good luck hunting to all of you!
Old 11-04-2014, 06:49 PM

That's awsome to here! Sounds like you guys have some amazing land to hunt on! Good luck
Old 11-04-2014, 07:23 PM

Cool!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:26 PM

Sounds like you guys have a great spot! Good luck this weekend!! Can't wait for pics and story's.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:33 PM

Don't doubt the Dad. LOL Hunting with my two sons this past weekend. At one point the older starts grousing "We got out too late. I'm leaving". "Hold on" says I. "It's not even 930. Relax" At that moment we hear a noise. "That's nothing" he says. "Sounds like a snort to me" says I. We turn around and see... 2 minutes later he has a mulie buck on the ground.