Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-04-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical View Post
Nube The best machine you can ever buy is an Argo with tracks and also if you do get the enclose cab also. This machine will go anywhere, anytime of the year. And will also keep you warm.
the 6x6 is an awesome machine, you most likely won't need a trailer to carry your supplies.
Nube has an argo...he isnt a good enough mechanic to run the argo on the line though...lol!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Nube has an argo...he isnt a good enough mechanic to run the argo on the line though...lol!
lol I can barely change oil in my car
Old 03-04-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
lol I can barely change oil in my car
Just kidding bud...im the guy who couldnt figure out how to start a snowmobile...
Old 03-04-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wydtrak View Post
I have both a 2015 Tundra Xtreme and a 2013 Tundra Lt 600 Ace. The Tundra Lt Ace is what you need. It will stop, back up, and turn around in 5 ft of snow with out any trouble. The Ace takes a little getting used to, as the power comes on different, more like a quad. I put ski skins on both and it made a big difference for diving off trail. The Ace is my wife's sled and for slowly picking your way through the trees or breaking trail it is awesome. They go where the others can't. Just my 2c.[IMG][/IMG]
Awsome pic Wydtrack...Nice Cabins! and wolves
Old 03-04-2015, 09:58 AM

Notice the tall exhaust pipe ...that's for the deep snow you mention. hehe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JD skidoo.jpg (67.6 KB, 115 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-05-2015, 04:47 PM

Well, finally decided after talking to a million guys on all 3 machines I looked at. Will be going in this week to order up the Expedition sport. Tork will swear at me I know for not getting the skandic. I think the Expedition sport will be just fine. I will get the 600 ACE as well. I think if I keep it for a long time it will be worth the savings on fuel and oil.
Thanks to all that answered my questions and offering experience.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Well, finally decided after talking to a million guys on all 3 machines I looked at. Will be going in this week to order up the Expedition sport. Tork will swear at me I know for not getting the skandic. I think the Expedition sport will be just fine. I will get the 600 ACE as well. I think if I keep it for a long time it will be worth the savings on fuel and oil.
No worries nube, since you'll be the one swearing while you're digging out that touring sled that you should have bought the Skandic, I'll keep my mouth shut.

I do have one question for you though ? If you are going with a narrow tracked sled anyway, why not go with the tundra and save the weight and money ?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Good luck with the new sled nube. i'm sure it'll be great.

Even though i'm a little late i'll throw my two bits in just incase anyone else is going through the same process you are.

I work in the far northeast corner of Saskatchewan, literally the middle of nowhere. part of my job is collecting water samples at sites that are up to 30km for our mine site, mostly across lakes and sh*tty winding trails not much wider that a set of skidoo skis. Most of our furthest sites are visited only once or twice a winter so we have to basically break trail in every time we go. We have three sleds that we rely on. The primary workhorse is a 2014 tundra extreme 600 etec. Great sled so far, and very useful for the type of riding we do, which i'd say is probably a little more rough than running the average line. It does require an active rider, there is no relaxing when you're pushing trail but it floats good, turns well has a good track that can handle deep powder that would bog down other sleds. It tows our 8ft koenders hunter sled and about 300lbs of water and gear with no real troubles. One thing i've found in my years consulting and now working here is a lighter sled is a huge plus. everyone ends up digging one out eventually. In our case, usually 2-3 times per trip whenever we're out.

Our other sleds are a 2010 summit 600etec, used as a trail breaker and we also have an older 05 expedition. the exped is a good sled and tows well, but good luck if you ever get it stuck. She's a heavy old b*itch.

anyway, sounds like you put a lot of thought into it and i'm sure you made the best choice for your needs. enjoy the new sled!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:32 PM

I have talked to over 30 people about the Skandic WT, Tundra and Expedition sport. There is no perfect sled but I felt for my needs I will do just fine on this sled.
Here is a great write up fro this guy comparing the 2 sleds
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/...-side-by-side/

I got a few other reasons as well as why I chose what I did. If I really have trouble next year I will sell it and get the skandic. With the way prices go for a barely used sled I am sure I won't be out much
Old 03-06-2015, 10:24 AM

Sounds like you did lots of homework. Any new sled is going to be a huge improvement. My preference is a Skandic for flatter lines, but if was real hilly or mountains I would go with the Tundra. I have rode an Expedition, and it was a great ride, but I think it is a pretty heavy sled(I don't have enough riding on one to judge it). That last few years I have rode a Polaris widetrack 500...it only has 600 miles on it, but it suited my needs and never gave me a minute of trouble. All in all, you will be happy with any new sled in my opinion!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 AM

Hunting late season elk around valleyview i had my exp sport 900 ace next to buddies 600 ace skandic WT....he had more of an issue than i did on fields and tight trails alike. He was really surprised that i not only kept up, but actually didnt have to fight the machine as much as he did. 4+ feet of snow mostly powder that weekend. I was sledding, he was Sea-dooing lol

You will be happy with your choice Im sure.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Nube, On my line I have a 2010 TundraLT, 2014 Tundra Extreme, 2014 Skandic SWT 600HO, and a 2015 Skandic WT 900 ACE.
My goto sled for exploring is Tundra LT, Breaking trails and hauling loads is the SWT the thing is like a tractor. the 900 didn't get a good try out this year because of low snow. The liquid cooled sleds have issues there. the tundra being air cooled was my choice this winter. I have lowered the gear ratio on my sleds which helps a lot pulling loads and in the trees. The low Range in the SWT and WT are the best. I put a 1.75 inch track on my SWT compared to the stock 1.25 its the only way to go in deep snow.

Trapper Don
Old 03-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo mulcher View Post
Nube, On my line I have a 2010 TundraLT, 2014 Tundra Extreme, 2014 Skandic SWT 600HO, and a 2015 Skandic WT 900 ACE.
My goto sled for exploring is Tundra LT, Breaking trails and hauling loads is the SWT the thing is like a tractor. the 900 didn't get a good try out this year because of low snow. The liquid cooled sleds have issues there. the tundra being air cooled was my choice this winter. I have lowered the gear ratio on my sleds which helps a lot pulling loads and in the trees. The low Range in the SWT and WT are the best. I put a 1.75 inch track on my SWT compared to the stock 1.25 its the only way to go in deep snow.

Trapper Don
Have you had much trouble with the 2 stroke SWT overheating Don ? I think I'm going to go to the 2 stroke if I buy another one. I like the idea of a back up pull start.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:38 PM

Never had a problem with heat. It has a small rad and fan for low snow . I put the pull start on the SWT and the Extreme.
I'll always have a Tundra and a SWT love them both.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe823 View Post
Sounds like you did lots of homework. Any new sled is going to be a huge improvement. My preference is a Skandic for flatter lines, but if was real hilly or mountains I would go with the Tundra. I have rode an Expedition, and it was a great ride, but I think it is a pretty heavy sled(I don't have enough riding on one to judge it). That last few years I have rode a Polaris widetrack 500...it only has 600 miles on it, but it suited my needs and never gave me a minute of trouble. All in all, you will be happy with any new sled in my opinion!!!
If you take the back seat off TOE the weight is 30lbs more than the tundra I was told. Basically it is a tundra with wider stance, nicer ride, better back seat and whole lot os other reasons and is only $400 more if I am remembering right on what I got quoted
Old 03-09-2015, 02:31 PM

You will really like the Expedition. Once you remove the back seat it is only 6lbs more than a Tundra LT. To me the ride quality of A arms more than made up for any drawbacks. This weekend I was breaking fresh trail down a creek. I hit a tree frozen in ice with the ski, hard enough that I flew off the machine. No damage whatsoever to the A arms or frame. On level ground I have not yet managed to get it stuck in the last 1100 kms.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:38 PM

there are no dependable polaris models made, lol