Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-30-2018, 04:08 PM

Default Fishing for Suckers

I believe I had a post here that is probably similar, but here goes,,,,,,,the oldtimers say that suckers are delicious smoked,so I would like to acquire some,catching them with a tip up or rod or hand line would be good by me, I'm willing to try anything. So,do any of you guys have a good way to catch these critters,or does anyone even fish for them at all.i know they can be gotten easy when they are spawning in the spring,but this is illegal, if you have any helpful ideas to share I would appreciate it.thanks
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:01 PM

they bite very soft and I doubt you'd get them on a tipup. Find a pond or lake that contains them and use a tiny jig with worms, shrimp, or corn on the bottom (or within 3 inches). I'd recommend using a spring bobber or normal bobber to detect bites.

I also catch them on the fly with brightly colored nymphs drug along the bottom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot at Dec 30 10-34-40.jpg (16.4 KB, 232 views)

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-30-2018, 06:36 PM

go to lower kanaskis lake in early june and walk along the lake shore from the interlakes camp ground towards the lower lake camp ground and you will see the big suckers spawning and pushing up each other up on to the shore , quite the site to see
Old 01-30-2018, 07:16 PM
Banned

Don’t know about AB but in Ontario it’s legal to dip net and spear them. A buddy of mine used to go each spring and dip net them in a local river when they came up to spawn. He used to can them. They were very good canned. I don’t know about smoked, they are very soft fleshed.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I believe I had a post here that is probably similar, but here goes,,,,,,,the oldtimers say that suckers are delicious smoked,so I would like to acquire some,catching them with a tip up or rod or hand line would be good by me, I'm willing to try anything. So,do any of you guys have a good way to catch these critters,or does anyone even fish for them at all.i know they can be gotten easy when they are spawning in the spring,but this is illegal, if you have any helpful ideas to share I would appreciate it.thanks
Catch them all the time in the North Sask river. There they just use a pickerel rig or lindy rig with worms close to bottom or on bottom.

Don't think it is illegal to target them during the spawn per say just need to make sure the water body is open for angling when your
're there.

From P 26 of the regs

"Collecting Bait Fish
Catching bait fish (such as suckers) by angling, bowfishing or spearfishing
is allowed from all waters open to fishing with these methods, even at
waters where the collection of bait fish by other means is prohibited.
Anglers may collect their own bait fish by minnow trap, dip net and seine
net, but these fish must not be sold. The commercial collection of bait fish
requires a Commercial Bait Fishing Licence. The following regulations
apply to the collection of bait fish for personal use as bait:
8 The collection of bait fish is not permitted in waters having a bait
ban or restriction on the use of bait fish, and in some other specified
waters (see Fish Management Zone regulations pages 32 to 84).
8 The possession of live bait fish is prohibited. All bait fish kept must
be killed immediately. Please do not kill more than needed because
bait fish are important food for many sport fish.
8 Fish other than bait fish must be immediately released unharmed.
Game fish such as perch must not be kept."

Last edited by cube; 01-31-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:30 AM

The upcoming burbot spawn will be another good time to catch suckers at places like Gull Lake. They are way more aggressive at that time and you can catch them on a lot of different lures including spoons.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:11 PM

Fish on the bottom with worms (strictly worms, no minnows). I catch tons in the Bow and South Sask. They fight quite well, and make excellent bait. Not sure how good of table fare they make, but I did see Italo Labignan cook them once and it didn't look too bad.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:29 PM

Worms right on bottom on a small snelled hook. During the mentioned burbot spawn the suckers are more active sucking up burbot eggs that are copper colored. So tiny copper colored round lures an inch off bottom might work.

I have had canned sucker and it is just as good as canned salmon or tuna. Willow smoked sucker would be a treat. White sucker is called Mullet in some places and sold in stores.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-01-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
they bite very soft and I doubt you'd get them on a tipup. Find a pond or lake that contains them and use a tiny jig with worms, shrimp, or corn on the bottom (or within 3 inches). I'd recommend using a spring bobber or normal bobber to detect bites.

I also catch them on the fly with brightly colored nymphs drug along the bottom
Thank you for this I will be trying this method..
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
go to lower kanaskis lake in early june and walk along the lake shore from the interlakes camp ground towards the lower lake camp ground and you will see the big suckers spawning and pushing up each other up on to the shore , quite the site to see
Wow this sounds so cool.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
Don’t know about AB but in Ontario it’s legal to dip net and spear them. A buddy of mine used to go each spring and dip net them in a local river when they came up to spawn. He used to can them. They were very good canned. I don’t know about smoked, they are very soft fleshed.
I've been smoking fish for 40 years, because they are soft dosent matter ,because the brine solution takes care of that.Thank you for your informed reply
Old 02-01-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Catch them all the time in the North Sask river. There they just use a pickerel rig or lindy rig with worms close to bottom or on bottom.

Don't think it is illegal to target them during the spawn per say just need to make sure the water body is open for angling when your
're there.

From P 26 of the regs

"Collecting Bait Fish
Catching bait fish (such as suckers) by angling, bowfishing or spearfishing
is allowed from all waters open to fishing with these methods, even at
waters where the collection of bait fish by other means is prohibited.
Anglers may collect their own bait fish by minnow trap, dip net and seine
net, but these fish must not be sold. The commercial collection of bait fish
requires a Commercial Bait Fishing Licence. The following regulations
apply to the collection of bait fish for personal use as bait:
8 The collection of bait fish is not permitted in waters having a bait
ban or restriction on the use of bait fish, and in some other specified
waters (see Fish Management Zone regulations pages 32 to 84).
8 The possession of live bait fish is prohibited. All bait fish kept must
be killed immediately. Please do not kill more than needed because
bait fish are important food for many sport fish.
8 Fish other than bait fish must be immediately released unharmed.
Game fish such as perch must not be kept."
Lots of great information, so when you catch them do you bring them home to eat ? Thank you.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
The upcoming burbot spawn will be another good time to catch suckers at places like Gull Lake. They are way more aggressive at that time and you can catch them on a lot of different lures including spoons.
This is good to know ,because I like fishing at Gull Lake,thank you
Old 02-02-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Lots of great information, so when you catch them do you bring them home to eat ? Thank you.
I have never eaten a sucker rom the river though many do. I have eaten them from more Northern lakes and have found them to taste fine but the texture was soft in my opinion. I a sure pickled or smoked would have better texture and would be fine.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:09 PM

I have caught a quite few on Foxee Jigs in the brown to green colors

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ig&FORM=RESTAB

if you know your lakes ..ice fishing them can be easy

they school lots so finding them is the key

8# fluorocarbon /improved Clinch knot /4 to 6 fow or more

1 ' or less off bottom

structure helps as in the drop offs or rocks then the bottom

as all ways this is

Food for thought

David

Quote:
Old 02-02-2018, 07:24 PM

Caught my first sucker though the ice at Wabamun today, on the jaw jacker close to bottom on a 1/4 jighead and a minnow, last think I expected to pull out of the hole today. Makes the slow day out there worth it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 830E5794-16D0-485D-A4B1-CA232E24FD42.jpg (17.7 KB, 109 views)
Old 02-04-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
I have caught a quite few on Foxee Jigs in the brown to green colors

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ig&FORM=RESTAB

if you know your lakes ..ice fishing them can be easy

they school lots so finding them is the key

8# fluorocarbon /improved Clinch knot /4 to 6 fow or more

1 ' or less off bottom

structure helps as in the drop offs or rocks then the bottom

as all ways this is

Food for thought

David
Thanks speckled you're input is appreciated ,also I'm not familiar with the lake so I'll have to try getting some lake information,(Dried Meat Lake),maybe someone on here can help with that.

Last edited by Fish along; 02-04-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:42 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR_RAT View Post
Caught my first sucker though the ice at Wabamun today, on the jaw jacker close to bottom on a 1/4 jighead and a minnow, last think I expected to pull out of the hole today. Makes the slow day out there worth it!
Nice, you only catch one?
Old 02-04-2018, 09:04 PM

The kids caught some of there first fish this last spring. They had a blast being able to watch them in 4 ft of water in the creek. Just a worm on a snelled hook. Found worm had to be right on the bottom or they wouldnt even think about biting. Could drop it on there head and they wouldn’t touch it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5DAB3ADA-6AF2-4BB9-9A6C-959092E01FE5.jpg (37.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-05-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Nice, you only catch one?
Yep just the one.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
The kids caught some of there first fish this last spring. They had a blast being able to watch them in 4 ft of water in the creek. Just a worm on a snelled hook. Found worm had to be right on the bottom or they wouldnt even think about biting. Could drop it on there head and they wouldn’t touch it.
This is really a good thing to know and I will definitely be trying, thank you