Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2018, 09:06 PM

Default Help to locate perch

I am planning a fishing trip to a lake that gets very little pressure if any at all. I know there are perch in the lake by I have not been able to catch them other than what is in the pikes stomaches
The lake stays shallow(6 to 12 feet) for about 400 yards out and then drops fast(25 feet) at 500 yards and way in the middle I have found 60 feet. I have not been able to find any structure anywhere and the lake bottom is a consistent clay/sand mixture. The lake has burb, pike, whites and the elusive perch. I have found perch 11 inches long inside the odd pike.
My question is where would you concentrate your effort to find the perch. Where there is any weeds along the shore it is less than a foot of water under the ice and then immediately drops to 5-6 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush View Post
I am planning a fishing trip to a lake that gets very little pressure if any at all. I know there are perch in the lake by I have not been able to catch them other than what is in the pikes stomaches
The lake stays shallow(6 to 12 feet) for about 400 yards out and then drops fast(25 feet) at 500 yards and way in the middle I have found 60 feet. I have not been able to find any structure anywhere and the lake bottom is a consistent clay/sand mixture. The lake has burb, pike, whites and the elusive perch. I have found perch 11 inches long inside the odd pike.
My question is where would you concentrate your effort to find the perch. Where there is any weeds along the shore it is less than a foot of water under the ice and then immediately drops to 5-6 feet.
I'd also be interested in some insight on this topic. The YouTubers make it look like you should be able to just drill a hole and haul them out at will lol. Have not found that kind of success to say the least.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:47 PM

Personally, I would find that six foot range along side some weed growth and fish from the 6-25 feet. Drill holes from shore at 10 paces out to 25 feet, and find out what depth they are at. They are obviously there, so punching lots of holes will help find them.

Or tell us all what lake it is, and we will help you catch them!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post
Personally, I would find that six foot range along side some weed growth and fish from the 6-25 feet. Drill holes from shore at 10 paces out to 25 feet, and find out what depth they are at. They are obviously there, so punching lots of holes will help find them.

Or tell us all what lake it is, and we will help you catch them!
*sticktaps* this is helpful!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:32 PM

Perch are a tough species to crack. Can be found anywhere from 6-45 feet.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsy16 View Post
*sticktaps* this is helpful!
No problem. Don't be afraid to change up your lure and bait selection a LOT as well. One day it might be a mitzi ditzi with a single maggot, the next day could be a 3/8oz buckshot spoon with a shiner. Keep at it, and you will catch them.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 AM

I find perch do like underwater humps, any sort of depth change is good for them. If you can find an area that has a bit of a rise or a drop you will find them if you put in your time. Hole-hopping is a must like others have mentioned.

They can be found near weeds too but that's more early ice when the weeds are still alive, as you get further into the winter they move a bit deeper to those humps and drop offs out in the basin. At least in my experience.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:45 AM

This is where a camera would be an asset. Punch a hole, send down the camera ... if you don't see what you're looking for in 5 mins. move on and repeat. Way faster than jigging at nothing or not having the right lure on.

Or as previously mentioned by swampy ... let me know where the lake is and I'll do my best to help you locate them!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:39 PM

Superstore 2nd freezer halfway down
Old 02-03-2018, 01:10 AM

The superstore 2nd freezer are definitely the cheaper fish to have but It seems that they taste better when you take them from the water by yourself.
I would like to share the location of the lake to others but the guy who showed me asked me not to tell others.
A camera I have tried in hundreds of locations trying to find promising structure but I guess I just haven’t been lucky enough yet.
A flasher I can see would be a real advantage but maybe next year I will invest into one.
Thanks for the good advice from you guys it really is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2018, 07:06 AM

Drill holes at the 8 fow out to past the drop off. If any are in the area they should be found at about the drop off in the 12 to 25 fow. You never know with these pesky little guys exactly where they are but once you find them your golden.

I have found sometimes that just moving 10 feet or even less makes the difference.
Keep your hook 1" to 6" off the bottom and watch your line or spring bobber as perch like to lift the hook up rather than pull on it and you won't feel a thing.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:20 PM

My vexilar flx28 finds them every time 😊
Old 02-04-2018, 12:23 AM

You probably said it best big bore. Time to get with the times. Perch are finicky buggers especially the big loners if you fish them with a camera you know dang well that they sit there for minutes then go away then come charging in but don't bite then come back two hours later when they have thought it over and just like that sheez in your bucket. Suck your hook in and spit it out three times and you wouldn't feel a thing if you didn't see it or catch it on the flasher.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

All good info, I found that disturbing the bottom with a heavy weight or spoon, tear it up, bang the bottom hard this gets a hockey sock of bottom critters in the water then drop a maggot down, the perch move in to feed and you are ready.

Do this in the summer too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-04-2018, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
All good info, I found that disturbing the bottom with a heavy weight or spoon, tear it up, bang the bottom hard this gets a hockey sock of bottom critters in the water then drop a maggot down, the perch move in to feed and you are ready.

Do this in the summer too.
I know this isn’t ice fishing but just to reiterate the banging bottom technique. We used to have a spot we fished in summer on Lake Ni****ing for walleye that ran from 36-44ft deep over a flat of about 3 miles long. It was primarily a clay and sand flat with areas of very short(2”-4”) weed growth almost like grass. We used to downrig it with a smaller 6lb cannonball. We would run a stacker release about 24” above the ball and behind that a floating rapala about 6’-10’ behind the ball. We would continually move the ball up and down and have it make contact with the bottom kicking up dust clouds. The rapala would run about 6” from bottom passing through the dust cloud as we trolled. We used to use our medium action spinning rods. It was a ton of fun and we caught ALOT of jumbo perch using this method. Of course we caught a good variety of fish but it was really fun tying into a 3 or 4 pound smallmouth off the riggers and having it streak skyward from 36’ down off the release and go airborn!!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:17 PM

I'd be fishing real shallow in that 2 to 6 feet The food source or at least some of it will be in the weeds. Youd be amazed at the size of some fish that squeeze into that shallow water to feed. Just be careful when punching auger thru in two feet water that you dont grind the blades on bottom