Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Buffalo Lake

Default Buffalo Lake

Has anyone ever fished Buffalo Lake, north of Stettler, through the ice? Wondering if it might be worth a try for some pike. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:16 AM
bacon grease

hey Dean I haven't been there since they took pike off the "bow fish list" but it sure was good a few years back. We used to go there for ling and pike - liked the ling for the table and had a blast trying to shoot some big pike with our bows. Best pike I bowed was 17lb. Been tempted to go back up and set out the flags and see what happens. The place we used to go was just past Mirror on 21. North of Mirror a couple miles +- you will see an east/west road which is called 'lake bend road' I believe. Turn east and keep driving till the road bends to the south(few miles) there should be a lane that goes accross the field and onto the lake. If its anything like years past there will be a shanty town you can see once you get to the lakeshore. Stay on the tracks that go out there cause if you stray to the north there was some springs - thin ice. We always knew this area as Pikes point.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:12 AM
bacon grease

Now that Dean asked about buffalo it got me courious. Have any of you been fishing there this winter? Let me know how you've been doing, if you don't mind.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:18 PM
AlbertaHunter

Default re

few buddies of mine have shacks out there straight south of bashaw and some east if mirror they've been doing alright haven't heard of them pulling any monsters out yet but they usually catch a few every year.

Chris
Old 02-01-2007, 01:24 AM
bacon grease

Default Re: re

Thanks Chris.

Used to go to Buff alot when I was younger and always caught fish. The first time we were there we fished for about 4 hours and caught and kept 200+ ling. This was before they were 'game fish' so there were no limits.

I'm sure there were piles of dead and dieing ling somewhere in the nieghbourhood of 1500 - 1700 on the ice. We ate every one we kept so we didn't waste any. There was a pig farmer we talked to one day on the ice that came out once a week and filled the back of his full size 1/2 ton with the dead fish. He fed them to his pigs cause he didn't like to see them rotting on the ice. Sure is too bad that guys wasted so many in those days.

There were always good pike there as well so tipups were always fun cause you didn't know what you had till you iced it - unless it was a BIG pike.