Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-13-2015, 10:19 AM

Default Foothold preferences

Morning,
I got so many good responses to my bodygrip question,I figure I'll ask about footholds too.
What are your current favorite restraining traps when it comes to Fox, Coyote, and Wolf.
What are your thoughts on the Victor Softcatch, as it it is is currently the only certified trap for Lynx,and the main one proposed for Coyote in the future.
Thanks' in advance for all the good info,
Ken
Old 02-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Banned

For wolf I use the Bob Beer trap exclusively. I do like the Lay trap but do not own any. I know trappers that do and really like them.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:39 AM

For wolf I own a couple Bridger Brawn #9 Wolf traps. But would buy Lay traps in the future. Have heard great things about them.

For fox I will be buying Bridger #2 Canadian modified this year. Had a few #3 victor softcatch 4-coil and did not like the damage/freezing that occurred on the fox's feet that I caught with them. AJ at the ATA strongly recommended the #2 Bridgers to me as the best trap out there right now for this application as they are laminated on both the top and bottom of the jaw.

As for Lynx, I have been told that the #3 victor soft-catch are the best for them. Haven't used them yet for Lynx as they are just too easy to catch with snares and you don't have to check them every 48 hours that way.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:42 AM

I like the MB650 for yotes.

What is the jaw spread on the Lay trap. Is it twice as good as a braun? Because it is twice the price. Trying to justify buying a couple, but I beleive the jaw spread is similiar to a MB750. Trying to get enough guys intersted in taking the Lay brothers wolf trapping course this spring. Contact Brent Sinclair if you are interested.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:01 PM

The best lynx trap that I used for lynx was a number 4 coil spring with offset jaws when they where still legal but with lynx traps its the wider the spread the better chance you have of catching him properly. The #3 soft catch works pretty good just wish that the jaws were wider. The nice thing about a soft catch is the shock absorber on the chain which stops them from hurting themselves too badly, more humane and nicer to skin. The only thing that I don't get is how a trap lined with rubber that gets hard when it's cold(and clamps right together )is more humane than a trap that has a half Inch gap between the jaws, when both traps have exact same Chain and swivel setup.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:32 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
...What are your thoughts on the Victor Softcatch, as it it is is currently the only certified trap for Lynx,and the main one proposed for Coyote in the future...
I wouldn't call it the main one proposed for coyote, any trap that passed the standard would then be a main one. Numerous have passed and more soon to come.

I have a strong dislike of any of the rubber padded jaw traps, they are extremely high maintenance if you want to keep animal comfort at a maximum as we all should. The problem is the coyotes like to eat the pads, it is a regular occurrence.

Beware of the #2 Bridger... I don't believe it has passed yet.

Gotta go
Old 02-14-2015, 10:35 AM

The only reason I called it the main one was that in the regulations,a lot of the traps are the Softcatch ones.I realize that any certified trap can be used.Sorry I mis worded that.Thanks' for the warning about them, traps are pricey and I would hate to buy high maintenance ones.What is your preference?
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I wouldn't call it the main one proposed for coyote, any trap that passed the standard would then be a main one. Numerous have passed and more soon to come.

I have a strong dislike of any of the rubber padded jaw traps, they are extremely high maintenance if you want to keep animal comfort at a maximum as we all should. The problem is the coyotes like to eat the pads, it is a regular occurrence.

Gotta go
Old 02-14-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

Gotta go
In your opinion as you are one of the gentleman that test these traps,do you believe number #2 bridger modified will get passed?
Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 PM

For wolf's i only use the BEER trap .It is heave built and made in alberta
Old 02-17-2015, 03:02 PM

I am interested in what guys use for wolf Traps. Wolfman why do you like Beer traps? Where do you get them and how much? What makes them better than the Braun #9. I was thinking of taking some holidays off next year and putting some out for a couple weeks while I am out on the line. I have had too many guys tell me to stay away from the 750's
Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 AM
AO Sponsor

I would like to see the Beer trap have stronger springs, meanwhile it's a nice thing to see large non targets power out. A friend, professional ADC man from Nevada, states that the Brawn is a little tough on the big cats, so it is a most awesome trap but needs a lighter spring. Really the Brawn is a machine, would be nice if it came with a stepping stool or small ladder to climb tho when setting the bloody thing! But if we want a nine inch spread then we hafta climb.

My preference in coyote iron begins and ends with the #3 Bridger Canadian modified with a couple of extras. I do hate the stupid wide offset tho, wish we didn't need that... someone thought it was necessary and the trap just happened to pass, was before my time. I'm sure it would have passed with a regular offset and it probably would have scored better. But I am glad that the very best trap made it through and with the best jaw.

Seems to me that any trap with reasonable power will pass if it has the double lamination, 1/4" plus 3/16". The Bridger 3, the Victor 3 round jaw and the Victor 1.75 all passed with this jaw, so that's definitely saying something. However, some of the more strong traps, such as the MB-650, it might be even better to try a 1/4" plus 1/4". The Sterling, though lovely in almost every way also needs to have a wider jaw, but with the cast jaws is not do-able.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:17 AM

X2 on where to get BEER traps. I am looking at a mix of Brauns and 750's next year.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:40 AM

i love victor #3 softcatches either 2 or 4 spring for lynx never had a pullout and cats seem to be very comfortable
Old 02-23-2015, 11:37 AM

for me its all bridger traps number 9 for wolf and numbers 3 for coyote personaly I think the beers traps are over priced
Old 02-28-2015, 08:55 AM

What do you think of the Bridger #3's vs MB-650's?