Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-19-2015, 04:45 PM
Banned

Default SRD Registered Letter: "Trapper Update"

Anybody else get this letter from SRD? Basically outlines trapline use, cabin use, structure size, new cabin construction guidelines/ some application procedure items,which Dept. is responsible for what, etc..
Old 02-19-2015, 05:13 PM

No
Old 02-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Banned

... I wonder if that letter will be sent to all registered trappers, incl. resident trappers, or only to those with a RFML with a RFMA?

... Was there anything that you didn't agree with or caused you to have concerns/questions after reading the letter?
Old 02-19-2015, 07:16 PM

Default got it

...through our local. Wasn't impressed. Cabin policy as far as sizes and how many allowed was okay, but mandatory registration and inspection by a forest officer leave me with some questions. Trail cutting requires a permit, other than cutting windfalls on an existing trail. Kind of laughable when there is a new proposed 60 metre power line going through the middle of my trapline, while a trappers trail winds through the bush avoiding big trees and soft ground, and is just wide enough for a quad. Another point was timber companies and grazing lease holders are required to give their consent for cabins, access, and timing of trapper activities.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:31 PM

Are these proposed changes? Or already enacted?
Old 02-19-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
+1
Old 02-20-2015, 06:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post

As far as I know they are in force. Most of the items have been around many years for RFMA's. This I believe is a clarification letter to assist Trappers on RFMA's understand what they are obligated to do and follow for requirements.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
... I wonder if that letter will be sent to all registered trappers, incl. resident trappers, or only to those with a RFML with a RFMA?

As far as I know they were sent to only the Senior RFMA holder.

... Was there anything that you didn't agree with or caused you to have concerns/questions after reading the letter?
I'm going to read it over a few more times but no I don't see any cause for alarm. Most of it has been around for many years.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
I'm going to read it over a few more times but no I don't see any cause for alarm. Most of it has been around for many years.
Can you post a copy of the letter martin ? I'm down south right now and haven't had a chance to see it.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Can you post a copy of the letter martin ? I'm down south right now and haven't had a chance to see it.
Sorry I can't. My scanner is on the fritz. I'll see if I can get ESRD to post a generic one on here or send me an electronic copy of one.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Sorry I can't. My scanner is on the fritz. I'll see if I can get ESRD to post a generic one on here or send me an electronic copy of one.
Thanks martin, I appreciate it.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:51 AM

Default SRD letter

Guys, the trail cutting could be a big issue with snowmobile and hunter crowd. We had estimated 1000 sleds in Whitecourt last weekend and technically suppose to stay off our trapline trails. I can see major conflict in the future.
If anyone has letter please post as it must be a generic letter, waiting for SRD can take weeks.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:14 AM

Default Trapper update letter

Guys took my fur into ATA yesterday and picked up copy of "Trapper Update Letter". Some interesting information; 1) May need to burn our cabins, shed and toilet when selling/transfer of trapline. 2) Need permit from ESRD to build bridge, cut trail or perhaps even wood. 3) May require road use agreement/$$ with Forestry/Oil company 4)Line cabins must be minimum of 10 miles from main cabin. 5) No water wells by cabin. 6) Timber company will need to be consulted on cabin, access trails etc. Very interesting reading!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys took my fur into ATA yesterday and picked up copy of "Trapper Update Letter". Some interesting information; 1) May need to burn our cabins, shed and toilet when selling/transfer of trapline.
Say what ????

Can you post this letter BGW ? Even a picture of it with your phone would work. Or email it to me and I'll post it.

auroraoutfitting@hotmail.com
Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Guys took my fur into ATA yesterday and picked up copy of "Trapper Update Letter". Some interesting information; 1) May need to burn our cabins, shed and toilet when selling/transfer of trapline. 2) Need permit from ESRD to build bridge, cut trail or perhaps even wood. 3) May require road use agreement/$$ with Forestry/Oil company 4)Line cabins must be minimum of 10 miles from main cabin. 5) No water wells by cabin. 6) Timber company will need to be consulted on cabin, access trails etc. Very interesting reading!
The government is creating barriers in an attempt to remove trappers from the landscape....if true, those "rules" are deplorable. They are pitting trappers agasint industry; and industry's pockets are deep.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:11 PM

Trappers are commercial users of the land as well. Looks like we might have to fight some of these changes coming.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:59 PM

Is it April first . I talked to lands , forestry, and fish and wildlife and nobody has heard anything new . Phoned ata on Friday nobody knows anything . WTF
Old 02-24-2015, 08:29 PM

I read the letter the BGW sent me and tried to post it but my Sat/Wifi on the boat won't seem to let me post the pictures of the letter.
The content is somewhat vague and uses lots of maybe's and could have to's in the future. The letter seems to address the Red Deer-North Saskachewan area trappers but may just be a generic letter that all regions will receive. Hopefully when I get back into the country on the 2nd of March I will be able to figure out more.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:44 AM

Default Cabin policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten1576 View Post
Is it April first . I talked to lands , forestry, and fish and wildlife and nobody has heard anything new . Phoned ata on Friday nobody knows anything . WTF
The ESRD letter originated out of the Rocky Mountain House office.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:41 AM

Default Trapper Letter

Guys, this letter is real, Alberta AESD letterhead dated January 30,2015. I had to ask 3 times at ATA before secretary gave me a copy. If it follows the same pattern as the "1994 trapper cabin policy" after trapper letters sent, we should see the new policy published in a few weeks.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
...through our local. Wasn't impressed. Cabin policy as far as sizes and how many allowed was okay, but mandatory registration and inspection by a forest officer leave me with some questions. Trail cutting requires a permit, other than cutting windfalls on an existing trail. Kind of laughable when there is a new proposed 60 metre power line going through the middle of my trapline, while a trappers trail winds through the bush avoiding big trees and soft ground, and is just wide enough for a quad. Another point was timber companies and grazing lease holders are required to give their consent for cabins, access, and timing of trapper activities.
Did trappers always have to get consent from the people with grazing leases, timber co.'s, and maybe even oil co.'s? Seems like that could be a real headache for a trapper, esp. if he is trying to get a compensation from a co. because of new developements, wells or whatever. sounds like it would be diffucult to negotiate a comp. claim from the same people that you also have to get consent from.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:37 PM

Smile Srd Letter

Gentlemen , seems always something for the trapper to contend with . Companies should be doing what they can to help the trapper . I don't have a registered line , just a resisdent licence but this is my experience . A gentlemen with a hobbie farm clears a trail with his skid steer in a back field so I can get closer to my snares . He also has a trail for me near the swamp Iam trapping muskrats in so I can get a little closer . He is very respectful & appreciative of what I doing . Quite happy with the removal of the coyotes . The Dairy farm I have are estatic of the removal of coyotes that wear staying in the bale shelter right in the farm yard . Took 12 from there. Just my view .
Old 02-25-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Guys, this letter is real, Alberta AESD letterhead dated January 30,2015. I had to ask 3 times at ATA before secretary gave me a copy. If it follows the same pattern as the "1994 trapper cabin policy" after trapper letters sent, we should see the new policy published in a few weeks.
Then let's see the letter
Old 02-26-2015, 07:54 AM

Default SRD Letter

Sorry do not know how to post picture/letter on AO.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
The government and industry would love to get rid of registered traplines. When people with no intention of trapping buy a line for 20 or 30k and try to sell it for 300k this is the kind of crap government will be loading into their files for the battle. Others have built what amounts to a house on their lines for a weekend retreat also with no intention of trapping. Very unfortunate for legitimate trappers that this sort of thing goes on. I think the recent letter is just the noose tightening a bit more.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 AM

Default government problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky hunter View Post
The government and industry would love to get rid of registered traplines. When people with no intention of trapping buy a line for 20 or 30k and try to sell it for 300k this is the kind of crap government will be loading into their files for the battle. Others have built what amounts to a house on their lines for a weekend retreat also with no intention of trapping. Very unfortunate for legitimate trappers that this sort of thing goes on. I think the recent letter is just the noose tightening a bit more.
Price of a line is dependent on what the buyer is willing to pay. Having said that, only a bonafide, proven trapper should be able to purchase a trapping area. Easy enough to police that part of it. A person writing the test, doesn't qualify him to be a trapper, but the start of a apprenticeship with a active senior trapper. The government has full control over this right now, but doesn't enforce it. Trappers' cabin policy has been in effect for many years, but government doesn't have the nads to enforce, however they are proposing to come and check where you are going to cut a 4' wide trail winding through the bush, so I can trap? There's too much murky waters out there to properly manage traplines. When I am renewing the line, and declaring my fur harvest, more than once I have had another trapline holder renewing with no fur to claim, and no questions were asked. It depends a lot on who you are, and who you know.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky hunter View Post
I hope it tightens like a ram snare. Would love to get me hands on a line. There are a lot in my area wasting away as weekend retreats. Anyone that thinks 100K is fair for a line needs a good shaking, these lines are not being used as trap lines...more "I will set a few traps then enjoy the cabin life. If I put a little fur through the line they won't take it away". How can a line that traditionally produces 5K worth of fur (in a prime hunting area) be worth 100K or more? Hunting cabin, not trapping cabin.

Spruce
Old 02-26-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
I hope it tightens like a ram snare. Would love to get me hands on a line. There are a lot in my area wasting away as weekend retreats. Anyone that thinks 100K is fair for a line needs a good shaking, these lines are not being used as trap lines...more "I will set a few traps then enjoy the cabin life. If I put a little fur through the line they won't take it away". How can a line that traditionally produces 5K worth of fur (in a prime hunting area) be worth 100K or more? Hunting cabin, not trapping cabin.

Spruce
The guys who just bought my line are using it for trapping. They own 40 quarters of grazing lease just south east of it so if they just wanted to have a hunting cabin I think that would have been a cheaper alternative. They have 4 teenage boys between the two families and want the boys to continue on in the heritage. Not a bad idea considering how many kids just want to play video games these days. I'm sure it will turn out to be a decent investment for them as well in the long term.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
The guys who just bought my line are using it for trapping. They own 40 quarters of grazing lease just south east of it so if they just wanted to have a hunting cabin I think that would have been a cheaper alternative. They have 4 teenage boys between the two families and want the boys to continue on in the heritage. Not a bad idea considering how many kids just want to play video games these days. I'm sure it will turn out to be a decent investment for them as well in the long term.
Wasn't referring to the line you just sold, more so to lines in my area that have recently sold. I have spent a lot of time chasing elk on your old line, and have put up some good marten numbers trapping private land in that area also. I would assume that it is capable of producing a lot more that 5k worth of fur annually.

Spruce
Old 02-26-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Wasn't referring to the line you just sold, more so to lines in my area that have recently sold. I have spent a lot of time chasing elk on your old line, and have put up some good marten numbers trapping private land in that area also. I would assume that it is capable of producing a lot more that 5k worth of fur annually.

Spruce
What area is that Spruce ? (Your area I mean)

I have heard lots about high priced lines but other then the one in GC most have all just been rumours.