Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-24-2015, 01:44 AM

Default trap line dispatch gun

So after a couple seasons trying different guns. I decided I want
-something cheap. I can't stop it from getting wet and snowy.
-a 17hmr. I've tried 22, 22 mag and 17hmr. 17 hmr easily best in knocking down with a head shot or a lung shot.
-something short. I don't mind cutting down a barrel and a stock, but I'd rather buy something short to begin with.
-open sites.
-I prefer single shot break action or a magazine. I'm guessing single shot would be cheaper.

Does such a gun exist? I'm fine with cutting down something, but what should I start with?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:48 AM

I've never use a 223 for dispatch. Do they make big holes in a lung shot or head shot?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
So after a couple seasons trying different guns. I decided I want
-something cheap. I can't stop it from getting wet and snowy.
-a 17hmr. I've tried 22, 22 mag and 17hmr. 17 hmr easily best in knocking down with a head shot or a lung shot.
-something short. I don't mind cutting down a barrel and a stock, but I'd rather buy something short to begin with.
-open sites.
-I prefer single shot break action or a magazine. I'm guessing single shot would be cheaper.

Does such a gun exist? I'm fine with cutting down something, but what should I start with?
Mares leg. 22
Old 02-24-2015, 05:59 AM

In my opinion, the best "dispatch" gub is still nothing but a 22. From stingers to shorts, you get a wide variety of what you can shoot out of the gun. Personally, I shoot a savage mark 2. It's a bolt action with a 5 round mag and wood stock, as I feel the synthetic ones are cold on my face. If you want short and small though (I just like having a full stock to take long shots and grouse and beavers and what not) I would recommend a savage youth model mark 2 in 22. Single shot, short stock, short barrel and iron sights. And yes, I believe iron sights as a must as shooting something in a trap with a scope SUCKS. I do have a 22 mag but I don't like it, it blows the heads off things or exits on a chest shot. Same thing goes for a 17 hmr. But just my 2 cents
Old 02-24-2015, 06:54 AM

They do make exactly what you want.
Get a TC Encore with a folding stock in 17hmr. Depending on barrel length, it will be right around 20" long when folded up,plus if the 17 barrel isn't what you want switch it out.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
They do make exactly what you want.
Get a TC Encore with a folding stock in 17hmr. Depending on barrel length, it will be right around 20" long when folded up,plus if the 17 barrel isn't what you want switch it out.

that would be a perfect dispatch rifle.IMO. need to pick one up.ASAP. personaly, i'ld have a cheap scope on it. would be a good beaver gun aswell. and i would rather dispatch from as far away as possible.17 hmr is great for that.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 AM

I use a Chipmunk 22 that was mine when I was a kid and is now my Sons...it has a peep sight, single shot and is very nice to carry....and deadly accurate 30 yards and less. I'll weigh it later but I doubt it tops the scale any more than 2.5 lbs.

I should add....I think I scared this one into the snare as I was walking in!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 02-24-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:25 AM
AO Sponsor

I was thinking of buying one of these.

Chiappa Little Badger 22 Single shot

I think they are quite economical. Meanwhile with the magnums springs and a good lock, a live coyote is a rarity.

I need a sidearm much worse than a dispatch gun with all these stupid cougars lurking the prairie. One night one stalked up to me and growled at me over the creek bank while I was on my knees resetting a bunch of snares. All I could use was strong langauge!

Last edited by Marty S; 02-24-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
One night one stalked up to me and growled at me over the creek bank while I was on my knees resetting a bunch of snares. All I could use was strong langauge!
i'm sure the language wasn't all that offensive.

lefty should look into upgrading his system.

Last edited by braggadoe; 02-24-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
I've tried 22, 22 mag and 17hmr. 17 hmr easily best in knocking down with a head shot or a lung shot.
-open sites.
I wouldn't mess with cutting down the barrel unless you get it re-crowned. Your accuracy even at close ranges will be disappointing. There are a lot of small kids guns on the market that are reasonably priced. A friend of mine bought a pink .22 savage rascal for his daughters. Nice little gun short and light weight.
Also .223 is too much for dispatch. I shot a wounded yote at 30yards and blew a 2"" hole in the other side. When I shoot yotes a 100yards I can't find the hole and no exit wound.
My 2¢
Old 02-24-2015, 08:30 AM

[QUOTE=Lefty-Canuck;2746634]I use a Chipmunk 22 that was mine when I was a kid and is now my Sons...it has a peep sight, single shot and is very nice to carry....and deadly accurate 30 yards and less. I'll weigh it later but I doubt it tops the scale any more than 2.5 lbs.

I should add....I think I scared this one into the snare as I was walking in!

Do you know where these are sold in Alberta? I like the old school look of it a lot.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 AM

Something to remember!!

Federal government rules make most "sawed off" fire-arms prohibited
Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post

Do you know where these are sold in Alberta? I like the old school look of it a lot.
Not sure....this one is at least 30 or more years old. Chuck was looking for one a while back.

LC
Old 02-24-2015, 09:23 AM

Thanks, I called them and they said there are no retailers in Canada for the Chipmunk guns but OIF (?) can get one if I ask a dealer to contact them. Never done that, so not sure how it would go.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
Thanks, I called them and they said there are no retailers in Canada for the Chipmunk guns but OIF (?) can get one if I ask a dealer to contact them. Never done that, so not sure how it would go.
Talk to Prophet River in Lloyd, they might be able to get one in for you. It's a great little rifle, light and short so you have to adjust your normal hold on it. Also you have to pull back to cock the rifle, working the bolt doesn't cock it so it is a great teaching rifle for kids.

LC
Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 AM

Stevens have a bolt action 22 with open sight, 13" barrel, roughly 300$
Old 02-24-2015, 10:00 PM

Default Dispatch

Look at the Henry mini bolt stainless 22...it will fit all your needs for a trap line gun. There is one for sale on the buy and sell right now...

Last edited by brewster29; 02-24-2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 02-24-2015, 10:13 PM

thanks for all the suggestions. Ive got a couple ideas now
Old 02-24-2015, 10:46 PM

The little badger one is a great little rifle. I kept mine in my truck and use it or go get it when I come across porcupines. One hand shoot ability is there, light, small and compact when not in use, 70 dollars new. Can't go wrong if it does break or gets misplaced. I think the price has come up on them now. I bought mine a couple years ago.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:49 AM

Have a look at the TC hotshot. It's a break action 22. I've got one for my oldest son and it seems to be a decent rig.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Look at the Henry mini bolt stainless 22...it will fit all your need for a trap line gun. There is one for sale on the buy and sell right now...
I've got one seems to be a nice little gun. I don't like the trigger guard because its plastic . Not a bad price for the one in the buy and sell.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Look at the Henry mini bolt stainless 22...it will fit all your needs for a trap line gun. There is one for sale on the buy and sell right now...
X2 When I needed a dispatch gun I went with this Henry. It's all I use with .22 shorts. I did loose the front fibre optic from I believe snagging it on the scabbard pulling it out. Henry set me a new one no problem.
On a side note do not dispatch with lung shots, head shots only. A trapped animal has there adrenaline up when you go walking up to it. Can take a long time to expire with a lung shot.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
X2 When I needed a dispatch gun I went with this Henry. It's all I use with .22 shorts. I did loose the front fibre optic from I believe snagging it on the scabbard pulling it out. Henry set me a new one no problem.
On a side note do not dispatch with lung shots, head shots only. A trapped animal has there adrenaline up when you go walking up to it. Can take a long time to expire with a lung shot.
true, but I'm not wanting to crack a wolf skull.

Thats why I was thinking the 17hmr. Its fine for head shots on coyotes, takes down beaver easy and a lung/heart shot on a wolf to save the skull is quick and easy.

Theres a huge difference in the internal damage from a 17hmr than a 22.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:56 PM

I carry my 22-250 with me all the time setting snares cause I quite often get a shot a adog between baitsites . Yes it is too big for a dispatch gun , but with a reduced load i get by with only one gun instead of 2 . I keep the reduced loads in a seperate clip in my pack . You'd have to experiment with yours but I found if I loaded it down to about 3000 fps and used a 55gr SP bullet it did very little damage and no head shots please . . Just a thought .
Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I carry my 22-250 with me all the time setting snares cause I quite often get a shot a adog between baitsites . Yes it is too big for a dispatch gun , but with a reduced load i get by with only one gun instead of 2 . I keep the reduced loads in a seperate clip in my pack . You'd have to experiment with yours but I found if I loaded it down to about 3000 fps and used a 55gr SP bullet it did very little damage and no head shots please . . Just a thought .
I get your way of thinking.

But the reason I want a cheap gun is so that when it gets beat up a bit I won't care.

To make a long shot I'd need a scope as well. I don't want a scope.

My chains on my foot holds are between 8-12 feet long. So I can't walk up and put the barrel close for a head shot. So I need iron sites.

After looking at all the options I am getting one of those Chipua in a 17hmr.
Cheap, don't care if it gets banged up, good for head shots on coyotes, good for double lung on a wolf, no scope, folds up to fit in my box.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Have a look at the TC hotshot. It's a break action 22. I've got one for my oldest son and it seems to be a decent rig.

I bought one of these for my kids and it is terrible for misfires. And I've tried all kinds of different ammo in it. I bought my kids Savage Rascals and they've been great.

That being said, I'll probably be carrying a pink TC hotshot with me for a while as a dispatch gun just cuz I can't bring myself to sell it to someone and they have the same troubles with it for thier kids.

I've also used downloaded. 22-250 with 30gr Barnes varmint grenades under. 2500fps and they killed em quickly behind the shoulder and didn't make a mess at all. Then I can still use full power loads if I need to.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Talk to Prophet River in Lloyd, they might be able to get one in for you. It's a great little rifle, light and short so you have to adjust your normal hold on it. Also you have to pull back to cock the rifle, working the bolt doesn't cock it so it is a great teaching rifle for kids.

LC
I had talked to Prophet river in November and they had these on order at that time. I have not looked into it further.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:37 AM

Default 17 hmr

17 goes everywhere with me. Will dispatch anything, never has an exit wound. Can shoot the odd yote or kitty with it, beaver slayer #1. Shells are cheap also. Used to bring a .22, but it will only serve 1 purpose.

Spruce
Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=eric2381;2748477]I bought one of these for my kids and it is terrible for misfires. And I've tried all kinds of different ammo in it. I bought my kids Savage Rascals and they've been great.

That being said, I'll probably be carrying a pink TC hotshot with me for a while as a dispatch gun just cuz I can't bring myself to sell it to someone and they have the same troubles with it for thier kids.

I've also used downloaded. 22-250 with 30gr Barnes varmint grenades under. 2500fps and they killed em quickly behind the shoulder and didn't make a mess at all. Then I can still use full power loads if I need to.[/QUOTE
I have the same gun and have had no issues with misfires. Wonder I your firing pin is defected or perhaps a bad chamber.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
I bought one of these for my kids and it is terrible for misfires. And I've tried all kinds of different ammo in it. I bought my kids Savage Rascals and they've been great.

My son has shot a TC Hot Shot for the better part of 5 years. Thousands of rounds without a misfire. Cool little gun with a 2-7 Redfield on it.

I think you may have just got a bad one.