Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2022, 11:11 AM

Default Knife Sharpening Talk

It was suggested by a member that a thread on knife sharpening would be useful. I agree. One of the reasons I have never spent any money on knives is because I have done such a pizz poor job of sharpening. I mean, I am bad at using a stone. Horribly bad. Ironic, as I teach cooking for a living. Truth be told, most schools send their decent knives out at the end of the year for sharpening or use an electric. For the last dozen years I have used a Worksharp belt jobbie. It can give you a pretty darned decent edge when you get the hang of it, but I would not use it on a knife I paid good coin for as it’s gonna leave its footprints if you know what I mean. Last year, I got a Chef’s Choice electric that gets kitchen knives even sharper than the Worksharp does for me, but it too leaves footprints you’d never want on a quality knife.

So, as I wait for my first custom to arrive, I’ve been figuring out what I’m gonna sharpen it with. Leaning towards DMT Diamond Stones and DMT Knife Guide (see in link), as that is what Crotts himself recommends.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...s?item=70M1101

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...s?item=70M0420

I’d love to hear what works for you guys who are sharpening modern steels.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, as this is how one learns, and like the hunting knife thread, has the potential to be very informative for many people.

PS: Even if you suck at sharpening like me, but also want to learn how to improve, chime in and say so, that way guys who know their stuff may take the time to share the methods that work for them.