Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Banned

Default Is this worth pursuing?

I was wondering if this piece of land is worth pursuing? I never really had issues with getting permission and this is a funny story. I was looking at a nice herd of mule deer through my spotting scope on this piece of land out of my car. I was taking pictures and the owner pulls up thinking I was poaching. He was delighted to see I was actually taking photos. I asked him is he knows whos land it is and he said " YES! It is mine" and chuckles. He gave me permission on his piece and called his neighbors asking if I can get permission on theirs. He went to tell me all the animals that visit and areas to concentrate on.

Now back to the topic, is this a piece that looks like it may be a successful hunt? I would be bowhunting it and maybe rifle once it opens up for rifle.

P.s Seems like a lot of older farmers that don't have a ton of land are easier to get permission from. And looking like a 12 year old haha!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pozwolenie.jpg (55.8 KB, 767 views)
Old 09-22-2018, 01:13 PM

What does a fox say?
Old 09-22-2018, 01:20 PM

What is your question? You started by saying you saw animals on land that you now have permission on. You already saw the animals for yourself.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:27 PM

If you don’t want to hunt it pm me with owners name and number and I’ll go hunt it. Lol, don’t over think it. You seen animals on it and got permission... go hunt!
Old 09-22-2018, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
What is your question? You started by saying you saw animals on land that you now have permission on. You already saw the animals for yourself.
Well if these sorts of pieces of land tend to hold land or is it an area that deer just happened to be on when I was driving by? I have never really had success hunting on farmland so I am not sure what to expect, most of the animals I have taken on crownland in the bush. I have permission not far away from this area on a quarter section and deer always bust me. I am not sure if a ground blind or tree stand would be best as these trees are not big enough to support a tree stand I believe, and the ones that are big are dead.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:43 PM

Go hunt it and if you don’t get something this year on it make sure to give that farmer some jerkey or something if you met a guy that nice you should try to keep a good relationship. Not very often meet nice farmer like that.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:22 PM

Sounds like a perfect place for a very slow spot and stalk. Especially mulies. Blend in and take your time.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-22-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Sounds like a perfect place for a very slow spot and stalk. Especially mulies. Blend in and take your time.
>>
I agree, There's bound to be another good buck in there somewhere or you. Let see him, when you find that devil!
Old 09-22-2018, 06:01 PM
Banned

Looks to 560 acres you have permission on. Giv'er and good luck.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
Go hunt it and if you don’t get something this year on it make sure to give that farmer some jerkey or something if you met a guy that nice you should try to keep a good relationship. Not very often meet nice farmer like that.
huh? I know LOTS of them!
Old 09-22-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
huh? I know LOTS of them!
We’re I hunt it’s very few and far between.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
We’re I hunt it’s very few and far between.
Where do you hunt that the landowners are less then friendly? Heard of these people but don't think I've ever met one.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:51 PM

Most of them aren’t out right rude (most of them) but in order to not be family or have a contact say through work or something if that nature getting persmisson is pretty hard I usually or try new permissions every year. I can honestly say I haven’t had a farmer come up to me on a road and say you can hunt here or there. That’s fine it’s their land and the few I do got permission on I treat pretty good. Definitely put in some free electrical work the ticket kind of comes in handy
Old 09-22-2018, 09:09 PM

Is this a trick question? That's prime deer land! Go build a couple blinds in the bush for differing wind directions. Take a chair and sit. Guarantee you see deer.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-22-2018, 09:17 PM

When asking farmers for permission it always helps if you know a little about farming. If it’s a cattle farmer I talk calf prices. If it’s a grain farmer I talk yields and commodity prices
Old 09-30-2018, 10:31 PM
Banned

Default Update!

So I went out three times since this post and the first time just to hang up cameras and just scout the area and look for a tree stand location. Second time went out this week and shot myself a mulie buck but antlers did not even go through. Went with my dad today and 5 bucks came out and were very cautious. Had three coyotes come in as well but did not shoot anything. All I did was use my wifes antler treats she bought for the dogs and made a rattle bag aha! I used that and it seems to have worked since the bucks came in. Have video of a beautiful 6x6 coming in with a 5x5 and a spiker during the night. Rest of my memory camera card is corrupt but shows 80 triggered moments....