Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 05:59 PM

Default Moose Hunting Literature

We were successful getting a moose LEH group hunt, never hunted moose and hoping for a recommendation on a moose hunting book or website?

Hunting near Nelson, BC in October and November if that helps.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:44 AM

Reading can help...a little.My advice is to scout your area every chance you get.Moose are fairly easy to figure out in my experience.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 AM

Moose are easy. Find moose, shoot and work like Hell bringing him home.

Grizz
Old 07-01-2020, 09:51 AM

Do you mean Nelson BC or Fort Nelson BC
Old 07-01-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Do you mean Nelson BC or Fort Nelson BC
Nelson BC.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:03 AM

Default moose

'Grizzly' I believe you are referring to few years back when we had lot of moose. Now Wait patiently for 10 years to draw a tag then 'Work like hell finding moose"
Old 07-01-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
'Grizzly' I believe you are referring to few years back when we had lot of moose. Now Wait patiently for 10 years to draw a tag then 'Work like hell finding moose"
Times have changed no doubt, but moose haven't gotten any smarter and their distribution is widening. Better hunting and some big moose surprisingly close to home, talking Alberta here, Nelson area though doesn't really strike me as being moose country.

Grizz
Old 07-01-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
we were successful getting a moose leh group hunt, never hunted moose and hoping for a recommendation on a moose hunting book or website?

Hunting near nelson, bc in october and november if that helps.
you tube is your friend
Old 07-01-2020, 11:44 AM

Does the LEH start on October 15th? May still get the tail end of the rut, especially if it's been warmer at the end of September. Check out marshy flats that butts up against hilly terrain that goes up in elevation rapidly. Look for willow stands around these areas. Do some calling too. May get a young bull who's still looking for love.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:56 PM

I'm with those that think the hard part of moose hunting happens after the moose is on the ground. In my observations they are more consistent in their patterns as well. This allows you to ambush them more easily when they travel their triangle of moose delights: food - water - hideout.

Moose are pickier eaters so look for where the willows and other buds they like are chewed down and wait for lunch time. All the advice in the thread is solid. You don't have to make moose hunting more complicated than it is. Learn the area and signs, scout, and wait.

I'll leave you with two last tactics. One: their noses are larger and more sensitive than deer, so be even more careful about wind and your approach. Two: Don't shoot a moose in the afternoon unless it's the biggest you've seen in your life, and even then think about sitting on it until the next morning.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:36 AM

Thank you all for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:04 AM

Not litrature, but a good watch. BC moose hunt, not sure where.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwF02n-015s
Old 07-06-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
I'm with those that think the hard part of moose hunting happens after the moose is on the ground. In my observations they are more consistent in their patterns as well. This allows you to ambush them more easily when they travel their triangle of moose delights: food - water - hideout.

Moose are pickier eaters so look for where the willows and other buds they like are chewed down and wait for lunch time. All the advice in the thread is solid. You don't have to make moose hunting more complicated than it is. Learn the area and signs, scout, and wait.

I'll leave you with two last tactics. One: their noses are larger and more sensitive than deer, so be even more careful about wind and your approach. Two: Don't shoot a moose in the afternoon unless it's the biggest you've seen in your life, and even then think about sitting on it until the next morning.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the info. Any advice on calling?
Old 07-07-2020, 09:48 PM

After the rut target red willow stands in cool wet areas a bull sore from chasing cows wants the Salicin a natural form of aspirin and anti inflammatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwheT2cnKFw

Listen to this guy he's not too bad

Calling will work till end of November just don't over do the cow calls break branches and snap twigs as if you are another feeding moose in late fall they like company to overwinter with

Their hearing is phenomenal {Oh My Grandmoose what big ears you have} they will pin point your location.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:53 AM

Moose Talker, agree with your assessment that willow origional source for salicylic acid/aspirin. However never realized it works for soar balls, I would have tried it when I was a teenager, now you tell me.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Moose Talker, agree with your assessment that willow origional source for salicylic acid/aspirin. However never realized it works for soar balls, I would have tried it when I was a teenager, now you tell me.
I'll take that with a grain of salt, moose just like young tender willows.

Grizz
Old 07-08-2020, 10:05 AM

This is a little retro, but there is a good instructional LP (circa 1970) made by Guy Provost and Elan Enr, I believe, called "The Art of Calling".

My partners and I pretty well had the whole dialogue memorized. Tradition dictated playing it over and over on the way to camp. The B side is full of examples for practicing with (no narration).

They can sometimes be found in used record shops:
http://www.discogs.com/Unknown-Artis...elease/2449732

Quote: "Do not prolong the note; the sound is not 'Mooing'. You are speaking the language of a wild animal..."

Good stuff. Still makes me smile, just thinking about it.

I'm going to see if I can find the mp3 of it, it has got to be online somewhere...
Old 07-08-2020, 02:03 PM

There was a little problem with your Discogs link so I looked that record up.

https://www.discogs.com/Guy-Provost-...elease/2449732

Interesting bit of memorabilia and there are a few copies available. Elan Enr. is short for Elan Enregistrements - the name of the record label not the producer. If you look on Discogs you'll see a few other instructional records they made for goose calling and general calling. There are clearly other releases unlisted on Discogs. I wonder what other topics they covered.

We'll see if it sells out. Last copy sold May 22, 2020. People are getting ready for the fall already.

Last edited by Peebles; 07-08-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
There was a little problem with your Discogs link so I looked that record up.

https://www.discogs.com/Guy-Provost-...elease/2449732

Interesting bit of memorabilia and there are a few copies available. Elan Enr. is short for Elan Enregistrements - the name of the record label not the producer. If you look on Discogs you'll see a few other instructional records they made for goose calling and general calling. There are clearly other releases unlisted on Discogs. I wonder what other topics they covered.

We'll see if it sells out. Last copy sold May 22, 2020. People are getting ready for the fall already.
Thanks for the correction! My link-fu is a bit off today.