Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2019, 06:48 AM
Banned

Default I've been thinking...

$1000+ fly rods
$500+ fly reels
$700+ waders
$140+ fly lines

Excluding waders, most of us have several rods, reels and lines, adding up to a lot of $$$$.

Are we nuts? Possibly.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:12 AM

It doesn't take much to add up or the effort to document.......

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=343480

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:33 AM

Was out on the front yard testing some rods, yupe things are getting carried away.

Four rods from $1400>1900
Four reels from $250>1000
Four lines from $40>120

Life is good?

Fishing worse now than when rod was $3.79, reel was <> &.50 and line was cotton string.
Flies were $0.25 each. Weekly allowance was $0.25

Strange!

Do
Old 09-04-2019, 07:37 AM

Some of us buy used and build our own Flyrods.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-04-2019, 09:53 AM

Default Cheap setups still catch fish.

While I would love to have the latest Hardy or Orvis or Fenwick rods and reels, I can't afford several hundred dollars for each piece of equipment. I own 3 different rod and reel setups that each cost less than $70 including line and backing.

People always ask what rod do you use? I proudly say...this $45 ebay special...I still catch enough fish to be happy, and I can afford gas to get to the river.

Do these rods cast well? Well enough. Are they light and fancy...no...but in the end, they catch fish and if I break one crunching through the bush, it will only cost $45 to replace it.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have the "nice stuff", but I hope people realize you don't have to break the bank to get into fly fishing.

I actually have a couple of videos on my "Cheap Setups".
Cheap Euro Setup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0CwG7Uo9-0
Cheap Dry fly Setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DphJ5mLmasw

Just my two cents...or my $45...
Old 09-04-2019, 12:44 PM

I've found it's been a natural progression for me. When I was young and didn't have much disposable income, it was whatever I could find to chuck a fly with - usually a WallyWorld or Crappy Tire combo special.

As I got older, and had a bit more play money I upgraded my gear (still not top of the line, but lower end of the "name brand" spectrum - I still own my first "good" rod and reel, a 2 pc Sage VPS 590 and a Lamson LP2 reel with a spare spool).

Then I got to the age where my income and living expenses where such that I could afford to spend even more, so of course I did, lol. Not being a hard core fly fisherman, my gear still pales in comparison to some, but it serves me well enough, although I caught just as many fish on my old Sage as I have on the more expensive rods and reels that have since replaced it in the cabinet. It gets hauled out every now and then for nostalgia, but rarely gets fished. Just relegated to a back-up 5wt role now.

I've met people who are the exception, but generally we live to our means. We make more money, we tend to buy a nicer car, or a bigger, nicer house, or nicer hunting or fishing gear. Doesn't make us better fishermen, just like being able to afford a Maserati doesn't make someone a better driver, but if you can afford it, why not enjoy the fruits of your labour?