Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-08-2021, 10:54 AM

Default 40V Electric Augers for the 2021/2022 Season

It looks like StrikeMaster and Ion spent the off season trying to copy each others products. I thought I'd put up my quick take after perusing their sites. If I got anything wrong, feel free to correct me...it's not like people have strong opinions about these things. In the end, more choices is a good thing.

StrikeMaster Lithium 40V Auger ($859.99Cdn Retail)
  • The one that didn't change with a 5Ah battery and a steel flight coming in at 24lbs.
  • This unit used to be the undisputed value leader as it would often go on promotion with a second battery included. Will that happen this season? I wouldn't hold my breath.

StrikeMaster Pro Lithium 40V Lite ($989.99Cdn Retail)
  • This is SM's attempt to catch last year's Ion G2, which outperformed it slightly.
  • Upgraded with a 6Ah and their Lite-Flight Lazer synthetic resin flight, it now matches the battery capacity of the old Ion G2 but still weighs more at 21lbs.

ION R1 ($619.99USD Retail --> ~$771.54Cdn)
  • This is the one to pay attention to as the old R1's were a tier below the top-line 40V units. But these new ones are designed to copy the base SM Lithium 40V, with a 5Ah 40V battery and steel flite with composite bottom to come in 1lb less than the SM Lithium 40V at 23lbs.
  • The battery is a Gen 1 vs. the Gen 2 technology in the Ion G2, for whatever that's worth.

ION G2 (779.99USD Retail --> ~$970.65Cdn)
  • Only one significant change this season that I can see. In an attempt to combat StrikeMaster's value advantage with the double battery promotion, ION now ships the G2 with Two 4Ah batteries. This gives the G2 33% more capacity than SM's top Pro Lithium 40V Lite, albeit at the cost of packing multiple smaller batteries.
  • The ION G2 retains its lightweight title, coming in at 17lbs.

So that's what I garnered from their web sites. I called Ardisam for Cdn suggested retail pricing on the IONs, but they didn't have it. What I got from converting looks to be fairly close after a quick check of TFH and Cabela's sites. The prices and weights refer to the 8" units. Keep in mind also that IONs still have a 3 year warranty to StrikeMaster's 2 years. Happy shopping.

P.S. - Jiffy has a new 80V unit called the Rogue due for release this season. It could be the next big thing...or it could be a dud like the E6. Stay tuned.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:14 PM

I got Strikemaster 40V 8 inch last year with two battery deal for 749$ ( 10 inch is 779$ in Cabelas now) . I move a lot and drill a lot and never yet needed to use second battery. Amazing purchase, wish it would be a bit lighter though.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:06 PM

TFH prices for 8"ers (as suggested retail appears to be off and I can't edit the original post):
  • StrikeMaster Lithium 40V - $749.95
  • StrikeMaster Pro Lithium 40V Lite - $899.95
  • ION R1 - $799.95
  • ION G2 - $989.95
Old 11-08-2021, 02:10 PM

Ugh...I want the SM sooooooooooo badly, but my propane model just keeps on tickin', so I can't justify the money on the new one. One day, tho...one day.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:26 PM

I bought the ION R1. It'll be my first season with something other than a hand auger. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I bought the ION R1. It'll be my first season with something other than a hand auger. Can't wait to try it out.
you wont be disappointed. i'm also excited for you lol

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-08-2021, 03:20 PM

I went for the very capable little brother, Strikemaster 24 volt. Light as a feather and cuts enough holes on one battery to meet my needs but did buy a 2nd battery when on sale for <$100.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I went for the very capable little brother, Strikemaster 24 volt. Light as a feather and cuts enough holes on one battery to meet my needs but did buy a 2nd battery when on sale for <$100.
I've been curious about this one. Apologies for the ignorant electrical question, but what's the difference between 24v and 40v? Does it mean less power while drilling, or just a shorter battery life? My wife and I rarely drill more than a dozen holes per day, and the sheer weight reduction of that model appeals to me...
Old 11-08-2021, 04:17 PM

Less torque. If you read on the box it will say it's not compatible with 10" legs because it can't turn them effectively. For a dozen holes a day it's fine. If you're on the Perch Patrol drilling 100+ holes, it's not going to cut it, literally.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:06 PM

The speed and power the 24v cuts with is truly impressive. I would not be scared to put it up against any other electric 8” auger in a single hole fastest cutting competition.

I drilled 18 holes thru 22” of good solid clear ice and still had 1 bar on the battery. With 2 batteries I can drill more than enough holes.

I paid $470 for the auger and an extra $95 for a second battery.

Compact design, light weight, price and performance made the 24v the right choice for me. YMMV!

Last edited by JohninAB; 11-08-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
It looks like StrikeMaster and Ion spent the off season trying to copy each others products. I thought I'd put up my quick take after perusing their sites. If I got anything wrong, feel free to correct me...it's not like people have strong opinions about these things. In the end, more choices is a good thing.

StrikeMaster Lithium 40V Auger ($859.99Cdn Retail)
  • The one that didn't change with a 5Ah battery and a steel flight coming in at 24lbs.
  • This unit used to be the undisputed value leader as it would often go on promotion with a second battery included. Will that happen this season? I wouldn't hold my breath.

StrikeMaster Pro Lithium 40V Lite ($989.99Cdn Retail)
  • This is SM's attempt to catch last year's Ion G2, which outperformed it slightly.
  • Upgraded with a 6Ah and their Lite-Flight Lazer synthetic resin flight, it now matches the battery capacity of the old Ion G2 but still weighs more at 21lbs.

ION R1 ($619.99USD Retail --> ~$771.54Cdn)
  • This is the one to pay attention to as the old R1's were a tier below the top-line 40V units. But these new ones are designed to copy the base SM Lithium 40V, with a 5Ah 40V battery and steel flite with composite bottom to come in 1lb less than the SM Lithium 40V at 23lbs.
  • The battery is a Gen 1 vs. the Gen 2 technology in the Ion G2, for whatever that's worth.

ION G2 (779.99USD Retail --> ~$970.65Cdn)
  • Only one significant change this season that I can see. In an attempt to combat StrikeMaster's value advantage with the double battery promotion, ION now ships the G2 with Two 4Ah batteries. This gives the G2 33% more capacity than SM's top Pro Lithium 40V Lite, albeit at the cost of packing multiple smaller batteries.
  • The ION G2 retains its lightweight title, coming in at 17lbs.

So that's what I garnered from their web sites. I called Ardisam for Cdn suggested retail pricing on the IONs, but they didn't have it. What I got from converting looks to be fairly close after a quick check of TFH and Cabela's sites. The prices and weights refer to the 8" units. Keep in mind also that IONs still have a 3 year warranty to StrikeMaster's 2 years. Happy shopping.

P.S. - Jiffy has a new 80V unit called the Rogue due for release this season. It could be the next big thing...or it could be a dud like the E6. Stay tuned.
Thanks for compiling this. I appreciate it. Interesting review actually. I agree with how more choice and competition can be anything but good for us consumers
Old 11-08-2021, 07:09 PM

I'd argue that the dual 4Ah batteries in the new G2s are a step backwards. And I don't see the old 6AH batteries on ION's site any more either. I may have to call around and stock up. I was into my second 6Ah battery many times last season, especially when I went hole hopping with the 10".
Old 11-08-2021, 07:44 PM

I have been thinking of getting the Strikemaster 40V, but i am hearing that the blades on them dull really fast and they are super pricey to replace and you cant sharpen them. Any experience or confirmation on this?
Old 11-08-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
I have been thinking of getting the Strikemaster 40V, but i am hearing that the blades on them dull really fast and they are super pricey to replace and you cant sharpen them. Any experience or confirmation on this?
Not sure what super fast is but I used it quite a bit last year and they seem to be as sharp as on the first trip.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:41 PM

Any professional sharp shop can do them for you. Any blades if you keep a cover on them, keep them out of the sand and sand ice, or bang them they should stay sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Not sure what super fast is but I used it quite a bit last year and they seem to be as sharp as on the first trip.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:

I drill a fair number of holes each season and have had my 40v SM auger for three years. I replaced the original blades halfway through last season. I haven’t tried to have them sharpened yet.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-08-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
If you are drilling through a lot of dirty ice than ya they probably won't be the best but with that said the only time I've had a problem and burnt through a set, my buddies jiffy chipper blade suffered the same fate and they are supposed to be better suited to that stuff.

I still run a gas powerhead but the blades are the same and the set on my 10" flight is going into it's fourth season. I've ran strikemasters for a long time and have had multiple sets go that long. My 8" flight is somewhere around 20 years old now, half the powder coat is missing and it's seen 3 maybe four sets of new blades with a lot of holes drilled.

Indeed they are harder to resharpen and have had them done long story short the results have been mixed and have had best luck touching up with a small pencil sharpener, a vice, and some patience and have found out the hard way that a dull power point can make perfectly good blades seem dull. Don't bother with strikemasters hand sharpener.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I've easily drilled over 1000 holes with my 10" strikemaster and it still cuts like butter and I've never touched the blades.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:07 AM

From what I’m hearing, if you want any one of the these electric augers for the upcoming season, you better grab it ASAP. They’re in VERY short supply and many of them will be sold out for the season in short order.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
As most have said, I've drilled a ton of holes over the two years I've owned my 10" 40V SM and the blades are still like new. I have a second set as backup for when I do find that sand covered ice. When they finally dull, I'm going to send them off to The Hand of Gord for sharpening. Not impossible to sharpen but not every shop is willing to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
From what I’m hearing, if you want any one of the these electric augers for the upcoming season, you better grab it ASAP. They’re in VERY short supply and many of them will be sold out for the season in short order.
That what I've heard to - The Fishin' Hole now has their order of Strikemaster augers and that's all they are getting for the season. Get em while they're hot!

New Jiffy Rogue should be in stock by December from what I've heard...
Old 11-09-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
New Jiffy Rogue should be in stock by December from what I've heard...
The fact that an ice fishing auger is supposed to have an availability of December...in the middle of the season...demonstrates the issues manufacturers are having with their supply chains. That auger might be the only thing on the shelves by then. Everyone is getting one shipment of everything this season, and when their sold they're gone.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Ion blades are no different.
Dirty ice will make them unusable very quickly.
I carry 2 replacement sets for my Ion.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:39 AM

I have a 40V Strikemaster w/10" flyte. Like posted earlier I bought it on sale for $749 w/free spare battery promotion. They also had batteries on for $99 so I bought a third. I've had days where I needed the second battery but only when cutting a bunch of holes through 36" of ice running and gunning. Never needed a third yet but I carry them all anyways. Is the unit heavy? Yes it's not a lightweight but I don't mind it and really don't notice it. It's still not like carrying around the old original top heavy iron horse 4 stroke Jiffy gas augers and to me it feels solid built. This is my third season coming up with mine. Maybe one day I'll pick up a lazer flyte for it but for now the steel flyte works great and still looks brand new with no dings, bends or paint chips and I do recut old holes with it occasionally.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:17 PM

I love my 10” electric SM. I have a 10” gas SM which is so light as well and starts 1st pull. Iam always torn between the two so use them both. Great thing is they have the same auger
Old 11-12-2021, 06:06 PM

Default Ion G2 Battery Question

May be a silly question, I have the opportunity to purchase a new ION G2 with the 6 AH battery, from what I have read this battery may have been discontinued ? I see they offer the G2 with two 4 AH batteries on some sites..

I would imagine if this is the case, the 5 AH batteries should work ? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
Old 11-12-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
May be a silly question, I have the opportunity to purchase a new ION G2 with the 6 AH battery, from what I have read this battery may have been discontinued ? I see they offer the G2 with two 4 AH batteries on some sites..

I would imagine if this is the case, the 5 AH batteries should work ? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
That G2 is new old stock from last year. 5Ah batteries are Gen 1 while G2 units typically run Gen 2 batteries. I'm not sure if they are compatible. I'd call ION to confirm.