Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Default sako deluxe stock

I know we have some Sako experts on the forum so let me ask this question. I am looking at buying a Sako finnbearer deluxe that was made sometme in the late 70's. The gun is supposedly never fired. The blueing looks so shinny and rich that I believe it might not have been out of the box much. But looking a the pictures it looks as though it has no luster to the wood stock. Did Sako make the Finnbearer Deluxe in an oiled stock also? Because it has the typical blonde color wood with the rosewood in the forearm but it lacks the shine of a lacquer finish that you usually see on the deluxes. I'm wondering can the finish loose its luster over time? Any info will help. Thanks
Old 06-21-2010, 08:30 PM

Sako had the option of either finish for several years.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:18 PM

Bushrat have any idea as to when this was? I won't get the gun till next week. I will get it checked out and if it wasn't fired I think I will not fire it either and hold onto it . Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:29 PM

Default sako's

I am no expert but I believe all sako's are all factory fired' so I do not believe there is any way to tell if it has been shot after the original purchase.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:11 PM

It would be a Finnbear or a Deluxe based on either L46, L61R. or an A11,A111 or AV action depending on vintage and caliber. The L series is the predesessor, the A series was produced the early 70s until the late 80s when the TRG S was introduced.
The Deluxe series had a high gloss urethane finish like the wood stocked Wby MK5s do. The deep lustre nitre bluing was amazing.
The Finnbears were offered in oiled walnut, laminate or McMillan fiberglass stocks and had matte blued finish with no engraving on the floorplate.
The Deluxe should also have a "kudu" like creature engraved on the floorplate.
These were some of the nicest rifles Sako ever produced.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTrapper View Post
I am no expert but I believe all sako's are all factory fired' so I do not believe there is any way to tell if it has been shot after the original purchase.
You are correct. They came with test fire targets from factory.
Most manufacturers will test fire every rifle so as to reduce exposure to liability. The old "it did not blow up when we fired it " thing.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 06-24-2010, 09:30 PM

The gun still has the hang tag with it. It was bought in 1977. It does have the Kudu engraved on the floorplate. But it doesn't look like i has the high gloss that was talked about. I will have my smith check it out and I'll let you know. I really like those finnbear deluxes. I am going to shoot my .270 one I just got a week ago when I go on vacation next week. Thanks again for the info.