Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2022, 11:31 PM

Default Lots of seismic activity today

http://ds.iris.edu/seismon/index.phtml

Read that a big volcano on Kamchatka is set to blow any time as well.

What other geological shakes will happen…I have a feeling something big is coming.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-20-2022, 11:49 PM

Well based on past experience you will see a 3 year reduction in global temperature because of all the ash put into the air.

The environmentalists will shriek at the next "man made crisis".

You guessed it, Global Cooling.

Now if only the developed Nations would transfer all of their wealth to the Third World Countries in compensation for the disproportionate suffering that the Third World Countries will suffer for ... Global Cooling, then it would make it all better.

Where is the World Economic Forum when you need them anyway?

Drewski
Old 11-21-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Well based on past experience you will see a 3 year reduction in global temperature because of all the ash put into the air.

The environmentalists will shriek at the next "man made crisis".

You guessed it, Global Cooling.

Now if only the developed Nations would transfer all of their wealth to the Third World Countries in compensation for the disproportionate suffering that the Third World Countries will suffer for ... Global Cooling, then it would make it all better.

Where is the World Economic Forum when you need them anyway?

Drewski
Don't give them ideas, or a volcano tax will be next.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Don't give them ideas, or a volcano tax will be next.
They tax the ash off of us!

BW
Old 11-22-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
They tax the ash off of us!

BW
I remember with Mt St Helen, it put more CO2 into the atmosphere than mankind since the dawn of the Industrial Age. I would think that most eruptions would be similar. So anything we do is overpowered by nature.
The carbon tax just makes us all poorer.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
i remember with mt st helen, it put more co2 into the atmosphere than mankind since the dawn of the industrial age. I would think that most eruptions would be similar. So anything we do is overpowered by nature.
100%
Old 11-22-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I remember with Mt St Helen, it put more CO2 into the atmosphere than mankind since the dawn of the Industrial Age. I would think that most eruptions would be similar. So anything we do is overpowered by nature.
In general and Mt. St. Halen in particular, as per the US Geological Survey:

In 2010, human activities were responsible for a projected 35 billion metric tons (gigatons) of CO2 emissions. All studies to date of global volcanic carbon dioxide emissions indicate that present-day subaerial and submarine volcanoes release less than a percent of the carbon dioxide released currently by human activities. While it has been proposed that intense volcanic release of carbon dioxide in the deep geologic past did cause global warming, and possibly some mass extinctions, this is a topic of scientific debate at present.

Published scientific estimates of the global CO2 emission rate for all degassing subaerial (on land) and submarine volcanoes lie in a range from 0.13 gigaton to 0.44 gigaton per year. The 35-gigaton projected anthropogenic CO2 emission for 2010 is about 80 to 270 times larger than the respective maximum and minimum annual global volcanic CO2 emission estimates.

There is no question that very large volcanic eruptions can inject significant amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. The 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens vented approximately 10 million tons of CO2 into the atmosphere in only 9 hours. However, it currently takes humanity only 2.5 hours to put out the same amount. While large explosive eruptions like this are rare and only occur globally every 10 years or so, humanity's emissions are ceaseless and increasing every year.

Just saying…
Old 11-23-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
It’s a wealth transfer scam.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
http://ds.iris.edu/seismon/index.phtml

Read that a big volcano on Kamchatka is set to blow any time as well.

What other geological shakes will happen…I have a feeling something big is coming.
You must of been shaken to your core, by this news.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-21-2022, 07:17 AM

Part of the Ring of Fire, an active volcano that never quite dies and a regular event, there is no shortage of active volcanoes between Kamchatka and Alaska, kind of like Iceland. Time will tell.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-21-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You must of been shaken to your core, by this news.
I was worried for a bit and then poured some martinis. They are just waiting on the counter to be finished off.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-21-2022, 08:48 AM

Default 2013. The Shiveluch volcano on Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula has begun to erupt

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/russ...ons-may-be-way

Hopefully some real time video will come out like in Iceland.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:50 AM

It is interesting when looking at the seismic map of the ring of fire… how it’s so seismically active off South America, Asia, Australia… yet eerily quiet off North America.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It is interesting when looking at the seismic map of the ring of fire… how it’s so seismically active off South America, Asia, Australia… yet eerily quiet off North America.
Think I’d rather have lots of small shifts as to little to no shifts.
Reminds me of a calm before the storm….
But I don’t know much on seismic activity.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Think I’d rather have lots of small shifts as to little to no shifts.
Reminds me of a calm before the storm….
But I don’t know much on seismic activity.
That's why Vancouverites are shaking in their boots. There have been some major events over time that affected most of the continent and we're due for another. If you look at geological formations around here, there are a couple of significant ash deposits from volcanos that erupted on the West coast, fairly recently, as well as the Mazama ash that blanketed much of western North America.

https://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.c...thquakes_e.pdf

Grizz

Old 11-21-2022, 12:44 PM

Indonesia is rumbling as well.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9294118/i...hquake-deaths/

Grizz

Old 11-21-2022, 12:47 PM
Banned

That volcano in Kamchatka is huge!
It’s like Mount Fuji big
Old 11-21-2022, 09:07 AM

Got into watching some of the earthquake/volcano activity occasionally a few yrs back, interesting to watch how they flow along the faults, one happens in one spot and in theory one shud happen on the opposite side of the plate, sometimes does, sometimes it takes a while to happen and how some of them can be somewhat predicted in some areas, by what is occurring around that area. Some of the history of the volcanoes to the southwest of us is pretty wild. They've still got a lot to learn about it.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:16 AM

My Youtube feed had the Mt St Hellen's eruption documentary come up last week. I had seen it before but watched it again. I was in High School when it erupted. Was quite the event. I remember the experts saying it would blow, just when was the million dollar question. When it did, holy cow did it blow.

Volcanoes all around the world. If they start doing their thing, we could be in for a show and some major disruption in air travel from the ash in the air. And as Drewski said, a big cooling of global temps.

I always wondered what the "experts" would be telling us to do if we were seeing global cooling vs global heating. Burn more fossil fuels .

Mother nature has enough natural time bombs to show us who is boss. Then there is the killer asteroids we don't see yet
Old 11-21-2022, 09:21 AM

Kimberlite Deposits in Alberta which are ancient volcanoes.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:26 AM

Talking

It’s the only way to bring down real estate price in Vancouver….
Old 11-21-2022, 07:25 PM

Deadly earthquake hit Indonesia earlier.

Another big 7.0 just hit Solomon Islands.

5.5 hit Aleutians.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:26 PM

6.2 off Baja

Solomons continuing to get rocked.