Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 05:27 PM

Default Lakeland p.p.

This year I am planning a trip in the wall tent. We always do it for deer in November (this year will be the 9-16th) and I'd really like to pick a few nice days this winter and explore that area. I've fished there a handful of times, with some success, but very hit and miss. My question is can you camp anywhere in there and what about wood for the stove. Is it acceptable in there to cut up a couple dead falls. I was thinking about staying in between Blackett and kinniard. Any past experiences? Not so much about the fishing but the overnighting. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:18 AM

Pretty sure hunting in the PP in not allowed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5AEC8718-0CB3-41BE-834E-7C505906AC57.jpg (74.3 KB, 79 views)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:20 AM

Doesn’t show Lakeland PP as exception.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6439DDAF-3FCD-404D-88C2-89CA8D0E448A.jpg (21.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:05 AM

There is access to Blackett from the Pinehurst Road. Camping is at the shore of Blackett Lake. Pit toilets, tables etc. No random camping allowed, but you are allowed to cut deadfall for wood. I've never hunted in the area, so don't have any info about that. I do know the deer in the park are damn near tamed. Not very sporting to shoot an animal that walks through your camp everyday.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:47 AM

Default Not hunting

Lol I’m not planning on hunting in there. I was just relating my hunting trips in a wall tent to a fishing trip in the Lakeland pp. Anyway I was just looking for past experiences from people who have done overnight winter camping in the park. Tight lines...
Old 10-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Yeah, I was surprised by those responses as well given this was posted on the fishing forum. I understood what you were asking.

While there is no random camping, there do appear to be designated back country camping areas. Just in case you did not already know this:

https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/no...g/backcountry/

https://www.albertaparks.ca/media/64...ountry-map.pdf

You can see that it is written more for the summertime but still probably not worth the risk / pain in the butt if you actually did get in trouble for random camping in winter plus there seem to be enough designated spots to satisfy.

I've only done skidoo in day trips. I've seen F&W about 80% of the time, this is on weekends though.

Hopefully someone else who has actually done an overnight can chime in.

Lots of good lakes in a smaller area, could be a lot of fun
Old 10-22-2018, 02:15 PM

Was in canoeing, and was told by park staff that came through camp, that we should have had a permit to cut deadfall for firewood.

No signage indicating this that I've ever seen, and any park provided firewood is non-existent, but that's what we were told.

Worth calling to ask and get one, if this is accurate.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:41 PM

Sorry almost November hunting on the brain. Be careful in there this year water levels are down 5-6 feet and I heard there’s already ice forming on jackson
Old 10-28-2018, 06:35 AM

Hey I think camping on the ice might be an exemption to the rule if you try that. I don’t see it any different than pulling a shack out on the ice. Try using an insulated tarp for your floor so you keep the heat from melting the ice.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 10-31-2018, 05:51 AM

Default Lakeland PP

I have camped at Mcguffin lake in the winter 3 times, last time out was March 2016, we set up a tent at the campsite location, pretty handy having benches and a picnic table. 3 of us pulled loaded sleds in from Shaw tagging area. Quite a few years ago we did school trips in there and built lean-to's. The park staff was cool about it, we just gave them a heads up. Great trip! To shave off KM's walk across shaw lake to the very east end and get back on the trail, you will shave off an hour easily.

DaveF