Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 AM

Default 2 Stroke Mercury 125 Opti-Max VS 4 Stroke Mercury 115

Looking for advise on 2 Stroke 125 Opti- Max VS 4 Stroke 115 Mercury. I am in the market to purchase a 1700 Crestliner Super Fish Hawk. It comes with a 125 Mercury Opti-Max DFI. I have 3 Teens that will like to go tubing. But I will be mainly trolling and fishing. I have never seen 2 strokes works only 4 strokes Mercury. I have heard that they are noisy and use more oil and harder to troll with. Are they noisier than a 4 stroke? So you can’t talk over them. My question is what motor is best suited for my use and is there much of a difference in speed and HP between the two. Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 AM

the main difference is fuel consumption

the 4 stroke will always win in that category.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:02 AM

Yes 2 strokes are more noisy. Yes they use more oil because a 4 stroke doesn't use any LOL, you have to change the oil. Biggest thing??? Smell. A 4 stroke is smooth, clean and more quiet. 2 strokes are stinky and that's my biggest hate on them.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse34567 View Post
the main difference is fuel consumption

the 4 stroke will always win in that category.
x2, forgot about that one.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:04 AM

Ive been stranded too many times by a merc.......bring paddles and a5-35 for your sore back.............merc bad
Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 AM

I have not run any Mercs smaller than a 135 hp but in fact the 2 stroke Opti is better than the 4 stroke on fuel by 5-10%. Yes you are burning oil for extra cost, the opti is virtually smokeless and is louder for sure.

I just broke down extensive numbers and comparisons on a 225 Opti vs 225 Verado for repower last week, and went back with the Opti for now.
I have environmental consciousness, but for over 6 thousand difference up front, and still almost 5 Thousand difference over 5 year term (normally we get 3-4 years out of engine) the numbers were still in favour of Opti.

For lake boat, you will enjoy the 2 stroke snap to pull tubers and skiiers, but the 4 stroke will be best for trolling and noise.

J.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 AM

Here ya go.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_de...Stroke75115=12

http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_de...Stroke75115=12

Two stroke DFI be faster out of the hole and to plane. Fuel economy is negligible difference with the Optimax a bit better. Where you will save with the four stroke over the Optimax is in oil. Optimax oil is pricey, $50 plus for 4 litres. 4 stroke be quieter and probably troll a bit better as well.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Alot of comparrisons made between 2 and 4 strokes are related to the old school 2 strokes. The new generation eliminate the smoke, noise, and fuel consumption. I run an Evinrude 115 e-tec, and I went with it because the noise difference was minor, and the fuel comsumption was better...power to weight ratio blew the 4 stroke away, and so what I fill up my oil res once per year and run synthetic 100:1 smokeless oil. It sat for 6 months, and started befor it even turned over once (4 stroke has to turn over at least once) and even after sitting for 6 months there was hardly any smoke..or at leas nothing more then a 4 stroke will put out after being fogged. Which brings me to this point. Modern 2 strokes are self fogging..meaning at the end of the year put a hose on it, hit the "Fog" or "Winterize" switch and the motor will go through a self fog and storage mode, and its done! So if you want to head out again after, just head out and hit the "winterize" switch again when you get back and thats it. Then comes maintance...E-Tec has a 3 year no maintance, no break in warrenty. The computer compensates lubrication for what would be a normal break in period, and it doesn't have to see the dealer for 3 years. Thats 3 years of just gas and go...that saves alot. Modern 2 strokes also have Idle, or Trolling modes where the computer again adjusts fuel, lubrication, and exhaust flow to optimize at any speed, so troll away and no biggie... not to mention when a 4 stroke breaks down...it costs, so does a 2 stroke, but with half the moving parts and adjustments, you usually fare a bit better. So they both have advantages and disadvantages, but get away from the old school frame of mind, and has for being enviromentally friendly...no difference again in new generation. After all when you change the oil in a 4 stroke, that used oil goes somewhere...And as JohninAB mentioned...when you pin a 2 stroke it jumps!! So basic line is get real info on new engines since you are buying new and get what suits you...Personalloy if I were on the coast heading 30-50 miles out...yea 4 stroke, for alberta fishing and zipping around a tube and skis definately 2 stroke, but thats me. BTW Ill be at Wabamun on Wed night if you would like to see for yourself...

Last edited by thorne; 03-29-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks Thorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Alot of comparrisons made between 2 and 4 strokes are related to the old school 2 strokes. The new generation eliminate the smoke, noise, and fuel consumption. I run an Evinrude 115 e-tec, and I went with it because the noise difference was minor, and the fuel comsumption was better...power to weight ratio blew the 4 stroke away, and so what I fill up my oil res once per year and run synthetic 100:1 smokeless oil. It sat for 6 months, and started befor it even turned over once (4 stroke has to turn over at least once) and even after sitting for 6 months there was hardly any smoke..or at leas nothing more then a 4 stroke will put out after being fogged. Which brings me to this point. Modern 2 strokes are self fogging..meaning at the end of the year put a hose on it, hit the "Fog" or "Winterize" switch and the motor will go through a self fog and storage mode, and its done! So if you want to head out again after, just head out and hit the "winterize" switch again when you get back and thats it. Then comes maintance...E-Tec has a 3 year no maintance, no break in warrenty. The computer compensates lubrication for what would be a normal break in period, and it doesn't have to see the dealer for 3 years. Thats 3 years of just gas and go...that saves alot. Modern 2 strokes also have Idle, or Trolling modes where the computer again adjusts fuel, lubrication, and exhaust flow to optimize at any speed, so troll away and no biggie... not to mention when a 4 stroke breaks down...it costs, so does a 2 stroke, but with half the moving parts and adjustments, you usually fare a bit better. So they both have advantages and disadvantages, but get away from the old school frame of mind, and has for being enviromentally friendly...no difference again in new generation. After all when you change the oil in a 4 stroke, that used oil goes somewhere...And as JohninAB mentioned...when you pin a 2 stroke it jumps!! So basic line is get real info on new engines since you are buying new and get what suits you...Personalloy if I were on the coast heading 30-50 miles out...yea 4 stroke, for alberta fishing and zipping around a tube and skis definately 2 stroke, but thats me. BTW Ill be at Wabamun on Wed night if you would like to see for yourself...