Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 11:51 AM

Default Will the Castle become another Banff / Canmore / Kananaskis? Have your say!

New Castle Mgmt Plan survey out, original deadline is today, extended till November.

Sounds like they are considering - at least floating the idea and batting it around - more touristy development.

Not what I would like to see for that area. Maybe a tiny village area for the ski hill, but mostly, I'd like to see a moratorium on random camping and accelerated restrictions on motorized vehicles. At least temporarily. Let the land heal.

Survey is here:

https://culturetourism.alberta.ca/to...rism-strategy/
Old 10-20-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
New Castle Mgmt Plan survey out, original deadline is today, extended till November.

Sounds like they are considering - at least floating the idea and batting it around - more touristy development.

Not what I would like to see for that area. Maybe a tiny village area for the ski hill, but mostly, I'd like to see a moratorium on random camping and accelerated restrictions on motorized vehicles. At least temporarily. Let the land heal.

Survey is here:

Filled in my survey response. I said NO to commercial development, and that OHV's should be allowed to be used provided existing laws were enforced. Also said random camping should continue to be permitted.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Survey is here:

I wish a tiny village was all they had planned, or better yet nothing at all. Shannon Phillips has already had a meeting with investors and stakeholders regarding development in the castle. Expect full-blown hotels, stores, bars, full-service campgroundsand paved roads. I also heard rumours that there will be no more access to Carbondale and lynx Creek. Hunting and ATV riding, and random camping will all be but eliminated. They will force people to pay to stay there. Expect fishing closures in the next few years as well in the entire eastern slopes.

No more cutthroat and bull trout fishing, as they're considered threatened. Also keep in mind with the upcoming Livingston old man and Porky Pine Hills becoming plus zones and the castle park itself, no more parking on the side of the road near your fishing spots. You will have to park in designated areas and walk however far it is to get where you have to go. Fine for some people but not all as age and disabilities can limit peoples walking distance. Shannon Phillips and her in Enviro Nazis are the devil. They will soon affect all user groups including ranchers. I wish people would just see through the NDP and what they're doing. They do not care about anybody except the most extreme environmentalists

Just to be clear I do support conservation, protection, however I do believe random camping ATV riding hunting and all outdoor enthusiasts should have a chance to recreate in our mountains in a responsible manner.

For those that supported the Castle Park, I hope they are happy with the new town to be built there, and increased yuppie tourism.

Last edited by NUK SOO KOW; 10-20-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:17 PM

Wonder if you can sled in there or not? Village holy crap? Imagine it will be no hunting as well.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-20-2017, 04:37 PM

I'm OK with some development, restaurants, hotels, etc., but only along the main highway in established communities. No developments in the wilderness like Three Sisters near Canmore.

Survey asks you if are a member of the general public or an indigenous person, and whether you live in the region or not. I suspect your views might have a greater impact if you answered those two questions a particular way. LOL
Old 10-20-2017, 05:03 PM

WMU 402 will be next............you watch. Another Y2Y getting closer to connected.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Wonder if you can sled in there or not? Village holy crap? Imagine it will be no hunting as well.
The castle ski hill parking lot can no longer be used as a staging area thanks to deals with Phillips. There will be no sledding or atv riding past the hill next year as there are no adjoining trails. Sledding may not be aloud period.
According to castle crown wilderness association cross country skiing may not be allowed due to disruption of wolverine habitat

Personally I think zero development should allowed. At least with camping your trailer/tent goes with you when you leave.
So much for leaving it wild/pristine.

Phillips stands to make a pile of money from all this.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Survey is here:

Filled out. Thanx for posting Smitty.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:56 AM

The last thing we need is another area with thousands of people. Filled out.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUK SOO KOW View Post
Phillips stands to make a pile of money from all this.
Please elaborate, I have read up on her and don't see how she can get anything from this, perhaps I am ignorant to the facts.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:52 AM

It is a sensitive area as we have been told by the eco-nazi's GOVERNMENT. So no more activity should be added and what is there now just managed it better. Why would we do the opposite of why we where told for all the new rules. Development of the area is worst than what is going on in area now. Also remove all grazing leases in area as they do more damage than anything else in area. Charge for random camping as you charge for campsites. Once enough funds build up. Build new campsites and slowly eliminate random camping. Charge more people for leaving garbage and messes behind (that would mean checking up on people more that are registered campers) Limit ATV use to just designated trails and charge a trial pass. Limit CC size of ATV's and tire type in area. Bring in classified waters and limit human traffic in area and amount of people coming in for fishing similar to BC. To many people in area at one time. Force castle ski hill to clean up all the garbage and wreck vehicles and equipment in area. Make residents of castle ski clean up their properties and charge more land tax on them to pay for management of area. Put in better management of hunting in area. No more predator hunting/trapping in area. Get the deer population down to a better level as the area is way over populated with deer.NO MORE TOURIST DEVELOPMENT!!! MANAGE WHAT WE HAVE BETTER!!! KEEP AREA IN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE NATURAL STATE. IF YOU MAKE IT TOO EASY FOR TOURIST TO ACCESS IT INCREASES DEMAND ON LAND. Quit blaming one group of users and start looking at the bigger picture of all the accumulated activity as the problem. This is not Shannon Phillips personal play ground. Get rid of her special interest and leave it alone. Just manage better and let people enjoy it as it is.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:28 PM

It's contradictory to advocate to keep an area in a natural state as possible and, at the exact same time, advocate for atv use.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:25 PM

Smile A wedge issue

I think the government is using these surveys to find areas that will win them support in the next election. "A government's sole purpose is to get re-elected" Densa44

Here is how it can work, if all the city people say keep it pristine and get rid of the atv's and the rural people say keep it pristine and keep the atvs, the gov't has an issue they can use in a campaign. It would appeal to their supporters and split the opposition.

See what is going on? There will be more before the election.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 AM

Done.

Provided comments that random camping, and licensed hunting and fishing should continue.

No more tourist parks! FFS, most of our mountains are no-go zones unless you are a more equal. Enough of this garbage.