Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 AM
Banned

Default Old 303 mark 4 bluing is gone

So my 303 has some pitting on the outside of the barrel. Its not too bad but the bluing is mostly gone and I can't afford to reblue it. Would I be able to just take the rust of then spray some rustoleum over the barrel to prevent further rusting?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM

Hark! I do believe i hear a purist crying softly.

Light coat of oil will help with the rust prevention. Probably go with a firearm specific paint otherwise. Any moisture under the paint will be trapped and really rust. Rust doesn't like oil. Cant breath through it.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
Hark! I do believe i hear a purist crying softly.

Light coat of oil will help with the rust prevention. Probably go with a firearm specific paint otherwise. Any moisture under the paint will be trapped and really rust. Rust doesn't like oil. Cant breath through it.
lol thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 PM

You can buy little kits to reblue gun barrels, I think they are around 10 bucks. You clean the barrel and rub it with some steel wool, then cover it with the sulution( wet a small cloth and rub it on the barrel) let it dry and wash it off, repeat a few more times and it turns out pretty good looking. Did it to a few guns last year and they look ok. There are lots of vids to help I think.

You should look into it a bit. It's a cheap fix and it works good if you have some time to sit down and do it.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerb View Post
So my 303 has some pitting on the outside of the barrel. Its not too bad but the bluing is mostly gone and I can't afford to reblue it. Would I be able to just take the rust of then spray some rustoleum over the barrel to prevent further rusting?
Buy your self a cold bluing kit,,Clean it up very well taking all the rust deposits out ,,treat it with the tube in the kit,, wipe down and Blue it,,better than spraying anyother rust inhibitor on it
Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 AM

Default duracoat

Google Duracoat. Duracoat is a corrosion resistant coating that is replacing hot bluing. Relatively inexpensive and if the videos are to be believed, relatively easy to applly