Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 PM

Default calgary river conditions

With the upcoming fly fishing expo in Calgary, I was hoping to get out on the water one day this weekend.How are the bank conditions for wading, amount of ice flow and how has the overall fishing been as of late.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 PM

good
depends on how warm it is between now and then
most are finding this winter is tougher than previous winters, you will find nice perfect holes..... and no action
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
good
depends on how warm it is between now and then
most are finding this winter is tougher than previous winters, you will find nice perfect holes..... and no action
X2.... Last winter was better .... Catching lots of whites tho just no trout ....
Old 01-22-2014, 04:29 PM

Fishing has not been as productive in the few times I've been out since December, but I wouldn't say it's been bad. I've had better luck in the early morning. Between a buddy and myself we've managed double digit in one particular spot. I think once you find one there's a good chance you get more
Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 PM

Agreed all my old winter holes have been really off this year as well
Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
Agreed all my old winter holes have been really off this year as well
Yeah. I am used to pulling double digits in the winter. I have been skunked the last 3 times. I have a feeling that my old winter holes simply are no longer winter holes.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:28 PM

I am sure we are all relearning our favorite piece of water, from the sounds of it the water and it's banks are fishible. I can't wait for this great weekend, fly fishing expo and first wet line of the year!!! Hopefully I see you in either location!!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Yeah. I am used to pulling double digits in the winter. I have been skunked the last 3 times. I have a feeling that my old winter holes simply are no longer winter holes.
Scel,

I think a lot of folks are in the same shoes as you..... I hope it means there is still a yet undiscovered "SUPER" winter hole where all of the Bow's fish have decided to congregate.... fishful thinking
Old 01-24-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I think a lot of folks are in the same shoes as you..... I hope it means there is still a yet undiscovered "SUPER" winter hole where all of the Bow's fish have decided to congregate.... fishful thinking
*crosses fingers*
I know that pounding the banks will eventually produce results. It has been such a chaotic winter. To make efficient progress, the ice shelves help. I (re)learned that once the temperature goes consistently above zero, the ice cannot be trusted. Even being careful, I had 2 nasty falls/breaks last time I was out. After an hour of dragging my ass through mid-calf to knee-high snow covering an uneven rocky ground, I am exhausted.

The river looks great though. The riverbed is clear. There are plenty of midges. I have not seen any didymo. Apparently, other people are catching fish. I guess I just have to succumb to fishful thinking.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:42 PM

I have been fishing most of this month. I have caught a lot of whitefish and a handful of trout. I am mostly nymphing and having luck with san wuan worms and really small midges.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:38 AM

Forgive me for my ignorance, but how do I find out what rivers I can fish through the winter. Am I missing something in the regs?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87stocker View Post
Forgive me for my ignorance, but how do I find out what rivers I can fish through the winter. Am I missing something in the regs?
Look for the part that has specific waters listed. I know that parts of the Bow, Crow, and Oldman are open during the winter, and while I'm sure there are other waters open, I'm not familiar with them.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Look for the part that has specific waters listed. I know that parts of the Bow, Crow, and Oldman are open during the winter, and while I'm sure there are other waters open, I'm not familiar with them.
Unfortunately, you have to read the regulations like a manual. You have to be careful, because the big rivers that are open in the winter are not consistent for the entire river.

The best way that I have figured out...

Download the manual

http://albertaregulations.ca/2013-Al...shing-Regs.pdf
Search the document for: Open all year

Good Luck.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 AM

ugh another unsuccessful day on the bow. High winds, steep banks and unstable ice shelfs. I'm getting real ****y with a certain area that used to be a great producer over the winter. Four times out three times skunked. I hate to ask for help but somebody please throw me a bone here. I only fish the bow in the winter. Just a parking spot is all I need and up or down stream. no actual places you fish. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:49 PM

SCEL. Thanks. Ive found lots of info over the past few days since I asked that. Happy fishing to all.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 PM

First time fishing the bow in the winter this year. Two days and skunked at fish creek and around and downstream of graves landing, not even a whitefish . I'm gonna blame the flooding but its probably me as two fish on the bow for me is a good day lol!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM

dont forget that with the flood, your holes have probably been filled in and are no longer fish holding. Probably best trying to find the new holes.