Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 AM

Default Calgary area hikes?

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for hikes in the Calgary area? I'm not looking for anything major, just somewhere to stretch the legs this weekend. It is also nice to bring my dog along and let him burn off some steam. I live in the deep south and usually head east of the city along the river valley and coulees but with the wet weather there is little hope of getting the truck down some of the gravel roads as they become really slick and sloppy.
Thanks.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:19 AM

while not a great "hike"..the dog park down by the river and the lefarge stuff in the south is a great dog park..if your dog plays well with others. and the river there is great to play in...some nice trails to meander along the river on as well...
Old 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM

When I first moved to Calgary I walked my dog there, but it is too much of a gong show for my liking. It certainly is a nice area though. Appreciate the reply.
I'm hoping to find something with some variety in terrain (I like those river coulees for this reason) as I intend to throw on my pack with some gear in it.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 AM

nose hill...

elbow river valley...

weaselhead
Old 05-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Hey Duk. I'm in the north end of town, and there's a great hike up here. You want to go down to the Valley Ridge golf course, and find a 'creative' way to get to the river. Then head upstream to the Bearspaw dam and beyond.

It's an excellent hike, and you'll probably see lots of deer. They had a black bear they were trying to trap out of there a couple of years back, and I've run into cougars twice in there over the years.

There's lots of trails to explore, steep hills to climb, some pretty funky looking rock outcrops that I keep meaning to rope in on, and plenty of HUGE 500 year old Douglas Fir trees. Pretty cool stuff.

Also, if ya want to take a bit of a road trip, head out toward the Sibbald gun ranges. Stay on the main road past the turnoff, and take your second left a short time later once you get past the wetland. You will be on the 'Jumpingpound Demonstration Forest' road. Down there a way, there is a marked trailhead with outhouses and a small parking lot. Head in there.

You'll go down a big hill to a bridge put in over the creek (FANTASTIC little fishing hole there with lots of nice trout, so bring a rod if ya want). The trail is a 4km loop through some really old spruce that are at least 120' high. We cleared the trail last spring after a winter storm.

When you cross the bridge, stay right. About ten minutes later (before you start up the hill), watch for a double-stemmed spruce tree about 30 yards off the path to your right. It is a true giant that is easily twice the size of any other I've ever seen. The base is 6'!

Anyway, if I think of any other favourites, I'll post 'em. Good luck, and hopefully the weather doesn't suck as bad as if has all week.

Tree
Old 05-23-2008, 04:31 PM

K country? 1/2 hour drive and your good to go. The south Maclean Trail, Ware creek, Mesa Butte......................
Old 05-24-2008, 09:32 PM

fish creek park is nice as well..good mt biking too....
Old 05-25-2008, 08:26 PM

Default Duk Dog

Hey Duk,

5:00am Tomorrow At Goodlife. You And Me And The Cross Trainer. Bring Your Camo Pack And Gear. I Promise You I'll Be There.

Cheers,

Risky
Old 05-25-2008, 08:29 PM

Darn alarm clock is broken. I went for a bit of a stroll today in the rain with my pack on, doesn't that count for something?
Old 05-25-2008, 08:45 PM

O.k. It Counts For A Couple Of Extra Ounces. Maybe We Should Hook Up Next Sunday For A Stroll.

Cheers,