Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 PM

canucks...up to 6th now...soon to be 3rd. I'm gonna have to say i told you so Flames...going...going...gone? lol
Old 03-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Frustrated Fan here!!
BUT they did have 3 posts tonight..
Darn, that was close. I think 4 posts counts as a goal now, doesn't it?

Flames will make the playoffs, but have provided no evidence all season that they can go much further than the first round. Stranger things have happened, but you wouldn't bet on it. Iron Mike has no idea what more to do that he hasn't already done. I think Darryl will have to rethink and straighten this team out in the off-season. Going with "experience" (guys who should know the drill about picking up your play) and having the second-oldest team in the league after Detroit is not working. Hard to beat Iggy, Kipper, Phaneuf and Regher as a core, but after that....

Oil probably won't make the playoffs, but I'm pretty sure they will decide who does. Last 10 or 12 games they have been the best team in the division, even without their best defenceman and forward. Future looks brighter... not blinding, just brighter. Teams would kill for Cogliano, Gagne, and their swedish sidekick. And the new owner can pay. Just need to keep Lowe away from Brian Burke! LOL
Old 03-20-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Iron Mike has no idea what more to do that he hasn't already done.
I can think of ONE thing, but I've already tried that suggestion. Oh well. If the Oilers make it in, MacT is hands down coach of the year. I'm looking foreward to these next 8 games more than I have ever done before!

Tree
Old 03-22-2008, 11:51 PM

Just got home from the game - pretty entertaining. Although he let in 4 Kipper made some unreal saves. Highlight reel goal by Phaneuf. Hat trick from Iggy. Boy I can't get over the size of Boogaard - he is one big lad.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Banned

Great game to watch on TV. Wish I was there.
Lots of scraps, Great hits, Highlight real goals, end to end action.
I really like hockey at this time of year.

So I would say we have locked up a playoff spot. Do you think we can win the division?

If Calgary plays like the last 2 games the rest of the year.. YES WE WILL

Playoffs are going to be great.

To all you guys from the north.. Think your going to make it? I for one am hopeing you make it. I would love a 7 game series against ed.
If not.. Jump aboard the Band wagon, or talk about football. No that wont work.. How about the WHL.. Nope stuck out there as well.. I know lets sit around and have a retro party where you can talk about the good old days and when they called you the city of champions.. ERRR ok YOU called yourself the city of champions. AHHHHH forget about it.. Get on board the Flames Bus.. Could be fun.

Jamie
Old 03-23-2008, 04:55 AM

For all you older guys who remember Bobby Orr....that goal by Phaneuf was vintage Orr, single handed one end of the ice to the other and scoring the pretty goal.
Step aside Bobby, here comes Dion!

Go Flames Go!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:44 AM

You can putttttttttttttt it in the win columnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

Oil aren't going to make it.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:42 AM
SNIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
For all you older guys who remember Bobby Orr....that goal by Phaneuf was vintage Orr, single handed one end of the ice to the other and scoring the pretty goal.

Go Flames Go!

Someones drinking too much
Bobby Orr steps aside for nobody!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 PM
340wtby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post

Go Flames Go!
Phaneuf is good, but no where near Orr and never will be.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Toronto My Friends!

That Tucker Goal! WOO!
Didnt even need Mats these last couple games!

That Vandermeer vs Simon fight in Calgary was Wicked tho!!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 PM

Oh boy...Edmonton continues it's dominance. But Cal can't help em out. Too bad...although a Nucks fan..like to see the Oilers get in as a cinderella come from no where story. Good news for the nucks tonight though
Old 03-24-2008, 11:23 PM

The Oil are doing their part (11-2 run). Thanks for nothing Flames.

Tree
Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Banned

Yes Ed did us a great favour tonight.
Calgary seemed to be trying, but things were just not working.

As for that so called "nuck" fan... where are you going to be if Calgary sweeps you guys three straight.. Now that could turn into a gift for Edmonton.

Exciting time around the TV these days. Its allready started with my cousin showing up to watch the game with willy and myself.. The jerseys were almost in full force tonight in the Hunt household.

Time to stock up on some beer and chips for the boys. And I cant wait to get back into my house so I can watch the big screen!!

Jamie
Old 03-25-2008, 06:59 PM

7 minutes to game time. Gawd I'm hoping the Flames can get their stuff together. Although I'm an 'Oil Boy', I really love the atmosphere in town here when they make it in. Gotta stuff those dreadful 'nucks..........PLEASE! It would be great to have both Alberta teams in for sure. Damn Oilers! They have actually managed to get my hopes up once again, only to be smashed with heartbreak. Pretty fun team to watch though. MacT for coach of the year if they pull it off.

As for VanCity, never has so much attention paid to a precnancy! Aren't they due for an earthquake any time now?

Tree
Old 03-25-2008, 08:05 PM

I will never cheer for the Godless ones. I have a burning hatred that borders insanity for them. I want the Oil to run the table and if were in were in, if not so be it. But as history has shown ( see yesterday ) the Lames are useless in the big games. GO NUCKS GO........
Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

Go Nucks????

Where in the heck did that come from? You been sampling your product today?

Thats one out of three!!
What a shot from Dion!
Kipper great as always.
interesting stuipid stat. The first period was Calgarys worst this year.. The second was Calgarys best.. All started by IGGY!!!

And as for Godless..
We have at least 3 perhaps 4
Iggy
Dion
Kipper
Regehr

And one semi god
Sutter. (one cup win and they will make him Mayor!)

Fun to watch that game. Much better than last night.
Calgary Ed comming up on Saturday..
Any bets???

Jamie
Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 PM

I'll take this like a man What a sad day this is in my life...I am now going to jump off a building...just wow.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Banned

Dss.. My hat is off to you..
You took it like a man. So many times when our northern cousins feel a devasting loss they just come on here and WHINE, WHINE,WHINE.
Good for you.

Long ways to go yet. And Calgary will either be your best or worst friend depending on the night.
Has anyone checked out the scheds of those raceing for a playoff spot.. Its just friggen crazy. Everyone plays everyone else. This thing will not be decided till the last game.
Man talk about preasure!

Jamie
Old 03-25-2008, 11:28 PM

Thank you Flames. It's about time they learned how to play desparate hockey. I suspect the first intermission was coach-free with Iggy actually making a good effort at being a captain. They gotta learn how to play like that from minute 1, NOT minute 21. It's gonna be a tough couple of weeks.

Tree
Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 AM

I've said this for years...our problem is we have a non vocal, can't even lead by example Swedish captain. Get a guy like Willie Mitchell to have the C and we may have had a more inspired effort tonight. I play hockey and I can guarantee that if a guy is vocally inspiring...it goes miles beyond a guy who leads by example (although clearly the captain must practice what he preaches). EFF NASLUND! lol

I won't lie...if the Canucks lose to Colorado tomorrow...I may not be able to handle it like a man and I may have to break something!!!...like my desk haha.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:44 AM

Default cappos

i think stevie y lead by example. same as alfie he's a all out kinda guy, you don't have to fight to be a great leader but you gotta be tough, how about super joe sakic? any other example???
Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 AM

Mark Messier greatest Captain ever...5 stanley Cups
Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM

i don't think mess was the cappo for all of those, he wasnt' wearing the "c" until gretzky got traded and then one won with the rangers. he was probably the best captain but more individuals have more stanley cups, henri richard comes to mind. and stanley cup wins by a captain i'm trying to find that online right now. but i know i wouldn't want to get a menacing glare from mess thats for sure.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:06 PM

Don't even talk to me about Messier...when he was in Vancouver he was one of the worst captains I've seen. Mitchell should be captain. I'm from his hometown and have lived there my whole life...good ol North Island boy...he grew up watching the Canucks and he has the heart that the team needs to be led. If we don't make it past the 1st round this year...Nazzy better get his C taken away...although I can't see us resigning him anyway.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 PM

First off, Flames.........best of luck in the playoffs. I wish we could have slammed Minnie for ya tonight, but I thinks that the clock has finally struck midnight on the kids. What an effort though! We'll see ya next season.

DSS, I hear you about Nazz with the C. I too played the game, and it always ****es me off to see the best player on the team as captain. It's dumb and lazy coaching. Your captain must be you leader both on and off the ice. Points should have nothing to do with it. I've played on a couple of teams where our goaltender was our leader, but the 'C' went to the quiet skinny dude who could rack up the points. Those teams never went far. Also, some guys feel very obligated to take the letter, but although they have game, they just never really feel comfortable in the role and it subsequently hurts their play.

Think of the Flames, without Iggy, do you give the job to Juice or Lanks? Points wise, yes.........leadership, NO. The coaching staff has to let the players decide. Alright, I'm done.

Tree
Old 03-26-2008, 11:34 PM

i guess we all played on differnt kinds of teams and most of the ones i played on had the rah rah lets go get em and the quiet bust their butt every shift kinda guy, you know somebody the coach doesn't have to tap on the shoulder when the opposite teams got some big plug running around taking liberties. i've always felt you do your best with both kinds, you can yap all you want but gotta back it up in the corners, not saying mitchell wouldn't i'm sure he would. it takes a lot of different personalities to make a good team and different kind of leader for every outfit out there to make it click.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:43 PM

Default Oilers V Flames-Who's going?

Got lucky enough to score the work tickets for tomorrow nights game at the 'dome! First one have been to this year and I can't wait. I am sure the dome will be rockin! I have the Oilers jersey all ready to go hope my boys don't disapoint. Looking forward to a great hockey game. Anyone else from here going to be there?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 PM

Default oilers

jessu these oilers are gonna give me a heart attack im sure of it. we need this shoot out win tonight
Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 PM

All I can say is,"D--n"!
Old 03-29-2008, 02:50 AM

I've had 3 heart attacks already...stupid canucks. Now down to 9th...all i can say is we don't have the leadership we need...lackless effort tonight. Best said by our color commentator for canucks radio after minny's 4th goal "this is starting to become a joke" And it is. It really is. Expect big changes if we dont' make it to the playoffs this year....but ya never know with "do nothing" Nonis as GM. I'm sure he'll say everything is hunky dory