Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-29-2015, 10:46 PM

Default New to the Archery & Bow Hunting Scene!

Hey Everyone.

So I am looking to get into archery, and eventually move into bow hunting. Looking for support from others on the proper information I should have in mind when selecting my first bow.

I know I am wanting to purchase a compound bow, and want something that will be forgiving as I am just learning. Curious as to what things I should keep in mind when shopping. Also does anyone have any recommendations on what I should check out. Thinking I have broke the brands down to Bowtech & PSE, that I want.

Any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 AM

TNC, first off - welcome to the addicting sport of archery. Strap in, you're in for a ride of a lifetime.

Where are you located? By identifying that, others can point you in the direction of your closest PRO shop - this is where you need to start. Get measured properly and then you can let a properly fitted bow choose you. And the pro shop may have other brands that you haven't considered that *may* be a better fit than the 2 you've mentioned. Once you've seen what a pro shop offers and what a fitted bow feels like, you could shop big box stores, BUT you're best bet is get the helpful advice from your pro shop.

I only shop big box for accessories, and even then it's got to be a smoking deal before I purchase. The pro shops will throw in a ton of free stuff (mostly in information & advice) for the price. Way better deal than a big box store.

Join a club. Volunteer at the club. You'll pick up a ton of information there that can help you along the way.

J.

Last edited by jcrayford; 04-30-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:49 AM

Wise words jcrayford...

Looking at a bow and holding it and/or shooting a bow are night and day...as jcrayford visit a few shops...shoot some bows...let the bow pick you...

Neil
Old 04-30-2015, 07:10 PM

I decided to do the same thing in December..... Rushed into it and bought a cheaper entry level bow.
I shot it few months then tried a few other bows at a pro shop... What a difference.

So shoot a few or as many as you can get your hands onto....
Ask questions until your blue in the face.... And then buy
Old 04-30-2015, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the advice all, appreciate it.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 PM

Just went through this a couple months ago.

Advice I got:
1) Buy the best you can afford will save you from wanting to upgrade in a year.
2) Make sure theres no vibration in the bow while shooting.
3) Look at the better brands top 3 recommended to me were Elite, Prime, and Bowtech.
4)Shoot as many as you can.

I ended up going with the Bowtech Carbon Icon with RAK package. Seemed like a great bow for the price. Had no vibration issues, it's light, it's smooth, and it's accurate.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:56 PM

Some good advice so far. I would say don't get hung up on brands. Just because I love my APA and it felt the best for ME, doesn't mean it's the best for you or anyone else. Elite, Prime, Hoyt, PSE....all have their fans and haters. Find the one that feels and shoots best for you. I had my sights set on a Bowtech Experiance last year and by the time I was done shooting bows I'd say it was third or fourth on my list.
Look at as many bows as you can decide what your budget is and what features you love or hate. Going into a couple of pro shops and getting their opinions can be very helpful as well.

Good luck with your decision. Archery is a fantastic sport/hobby/addiction...
Old 05-04-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Some good advice so far. I would say don't get hung up on brands. Just because I love my APA and it felt the best for ME, doesn't mean it's the best for you or anyone else. Elite, Prime, Hoyt, PSE....all have their fans and haters. Find the one that feels and shoots best for you. I had my sights set on a Bowtech Experiance last year and by the time I was done shooting bows I'd say it was third or fourth on my list.
Look at as many bows as you can decide what your budget is and what features you love or hate. Going into a couple of pro shops and getting their opinions can be very helpful as well.

Good luck with your decision. Archery is a fantastic sport/hobby/addiction...
Best advice...pending on where you live in Alberta...there are fan brand area's...mostly due to thats because that is what the the area dealers were carrying...

We carried a major brand here that sold out 12 to one of all other brands...and everyone in the area shot them and still do...things and times changed and we now carry an top Canadian brand that now outs sells that bow 12 to one...

Neil

Tags
archery, bow hunting, compound bow.