Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-29-2015, 02:21 PM

Default Hunter education in other provinces

Does anyone know if it's possible to do the hunter education course in multiple provinces? More specifically, Alberta and Newfoundland. I spend time in both places but Newfoundland would require me to be with a guide if I wanted to go on any big game hunts and only had my Alberta hunting course.
Any information helps!
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirsten19332 View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to do the hunter education course in multiple provinces? More specifically, Alberta and Newfoundland. I spend time in both places but Newfoundland would require me to be with a guide if I wanted to go on any big game hunts and only had my Alberta hunting course.
Any information helps!
Thanks!
You can do hunter education in every province if you want. BUT you can only be a resident of one province. To hunt in a province that is not your principal residence means you will have to follow the regulations that province has for non residents. That means some provinces you must have a resident of the province sponsor you, some provinces you must hire a guide. If your trying to get resident hunting licences in both provinces you want to hunt that is pretty much illegal .
Old 08-29-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
You can do hunter education in every province if you want. BUT you can only be a resident of one province. To hunt in a province that is not your principal residence means you will have to follow the regulations that province has for non residents. That means some provinces you must have a resident of the province sponsor you, some provinces you must hire a guide. If your trying to get resident hunting licences in both provinces you want to hunt that is pretty much illegal .

One of the people that used to work for me was caught with a Newfoundland resident moose license and an Alberta ID last fall. They were not at all pleased when they discovered that he has been applying for Newfoundland resident tags for several years, while he was an Alberta resident. He was awaiting the outcome when I left the city, but he was told he could be fined up to $1000 for every year that he applied for the resident license after he moved to Alberta.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Banned

It has nothing to do with the course, hunter ed courses are valid in every province in Canada regardless of where you do it. It has to do with residency requirements. The only way to be considered a resident of more than one province at once WRT hunting is to be a member of the RCMP or the military born in the province you wish to hunt in but are currently posted outside that province. A WIN is not proof of having completed a hunter ed course though as far as NL is concerned.

Tags
alberta, education, hunter, newfoundland