Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 05:33 AM

Exclamation Any tips for furthering career as an electrician in Alberta?

I am currently seeking a long term position with any electrician company, to achieve my goal of becoming a journeyman electrician. I have around 800-900 hours of experience in the commercial field. I have my own tools, a drivers license with my own vehicle, I am always punctual for work, very productive with my time, and a fast learner. I also have my CSTS-09, Fall Arrest, Aerial work/lift certificates, First Aid, 2015 Electrical Safety Training System certificates and a clean drivers abstract. I am available for an immediate start with full availability and flexibility to work overtime and weekends if the opportunity arises. I don't know why but I can not find a company for the life of me. I have been unemployed for a couple months and have been working my butt off applying everywhere and still no chances have arisen... Not sure what else I can do as I really want to become a journeyman electrician (preferably in Edmonton or Calgary). I am only 20 years old with an electrical engineering background as well which I think would be appealing to employers but Im having absolutely no luck at all so I'm seeking tips to aid me. Should I stick it out longer and continue applying or just give up on my dream and pursue another career?
Old 12-30-2015, 05:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Stay the course and you will find work, maybe not in the electrical field but you too also have to be willing to leave province to get employment and seek out your journeymans certification.

I have loved ones that both are in different provinces now, I know will be back but they had to go elsewhere, sometimes you got to eat the crust before getting to the meat...good luck and welcome to the forum.

Maybe someone here has work for you

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-30-2015, 05:47 AM

I would definitely be open to working out of province! I was just under the impression that the Alberta blue book would make it difficult for me to work in a different province (then again, having to get indentured again shouldn't be too long of a process) .

It would be a miracle if someone did have work for me here!! Talk about a second Christmas Thank you for your advice though! I definitely will pursue this career path; I can see myself doing it for the rest of my life as I love all of the work
Old 12-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praneel View Post
I would definitely be open to working out of province! I was just under the impression that the Alberta blue book would make it difficult for me to work in a different province (then again, having to get indentured again shouldn't be too long of a process) .

It would be a miracle if someone did have work for me here!! Talk about a second Christmas Thank you for your advice though! I definitely will pursue this career path; I can see myself doing it for the rest of my life as I love all of the work
I wouldn't give up but I would look at other provinces. I don't know how long it takes to be a electrician, my trade was 4 years. Now we can't blame the whole economic conundrum on the govt but they aren't helping. So you could go pursue your career in another province. But you would for sure have to pass the red seal exam to comeback and make journeyman rate here. Hopefully by then things will have turned around.

Tags
advice, alberta, electrician