Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re: THROWING IN THE WHITE TOWEL

Jamie, the other part that makes picking him up in the off season impossible is that Charles Wang, the Islander's owner is a freak! Look at the contract he gave DiPettro. There was talk that he strongly wanted to sign a freakin' sumo wrestler as a stunt. He's rich, he's nuts and he is probably the one that might just offer Smyth the fattest contract of all. Either way, good luck, Ryan, we loved ya and are going to miss ya. Worst trade than Gretzky's. Worst trade ever.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Charmax

I was listening to "The Fan 960" Calgary Flames Radio :lol (for those of you in the north who want to listen to the best team in Alberta):lol They were saying Edmonton still has a chance of signing Smyth in the off season when he becomes a FA. Thats a good laugh.:lol :lol :lol :lol
Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Jamie Hunt

Hey what happened to Perchy???
Anyone check and see if he is sitting in his garage with the car running???

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

I got the chance to watch the Messier banner raising.
I really do like that guy, all those names brought back some great and not so great memories.
I thought the last 3/4 of the show were good. HOWEVER why in the heck did they make him skate around the ice with the cup. I thought he actually looked uncomfortable with the whole idea. It looked cheap and gimmicky at best. And what was with the announcer (Who I cant believe has a job on the radio, He was brutal.. He needs to go to a toast masters meeting) asking him to go jump around in the corner trying to recreate something that happened last century. Mess shouldn’t have been in full uniform, but the final skate was ok. MACT could also go with that so called announcer to the Toast master meeting, however at least that’s not his job.

Jamie
Old 02-27-2007, 11:14 PM
MrLeahy

Peter Puck has spoken:PeterPuck comments
Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 PM
kanonfodder

Well my uneasy feeling was right Smytty gone but the Isles are hardly a contender, big George to Pitts, no trades by the flames.....unlike my upset co-fans I like the deal. We get a first round in O Malley, Nillson ( isn't he Kent Nilsons kid???), and a first round pick, if Smytty re-signs in the offseason we get three players for 20 games rental. If he doesn't we free up 5million to go UFA huntn......Im not at all that upset.... cmon OIL make the playoffs baby.......weeeeeeeeeeeeee:rollin
Old 02-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Tree Guy

Kannon, I disagree. O'mally, at best will never be more than a third liner, Nilsson is 174lbs, and iffy at best to ever make the bigs, and the first rounder is for a very weak draft year. Best case scenario is we have another third liner in two years.

I am glad they excluded lowe from the ceremonies tonight though. No need to overshadow Mess.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Charmax

Quote:
no trades by the flames
Yes they made a trade with New Jersey for D-man David Hale and a 5th round draft pick in 2007 for a 5th round draft pick in 2007. Not a big one but he made one..... He was doing an interview today after the deadline was over, and a reporter started to ask him about Playerfair and Sutter shut him up before he could finish his question. Saying that after the deadline he wasn't going to be changing anything else. That includes players and coaching staff. He did say that he does not want to coach.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Tree Guy

Kannon, I disagree. O'mally, at best will never be more than a third liner, Nilsson is 174lbs, and iffy at best to ever make the bigs, and the first rounder is for a very weak draft year. Best case scenario is we have another third liner in two years.

I am glad they excluded lowe from the ceremonies tonight though. No need to overshadow Mess.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:01 AM
getasheep

I bleed copper and blue and dreaded this day. But I think the trade was good considering the circumstances. We get some good prospects and a 1st round pick to go with our two others. If we can we get Smyth back in the summer, great, but if someone is going to pay him 6 million, then so be it, we have a lot of young talent and fair chunk of change to play with, we will be big players this summer building an amazing team.

I still think we are going to push Calgary for that final playoff spot!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:17 AM
kanonfodder

Well Tree Nillson I believe is the top scoreer on the Isles farm team, Omaley is a double gold winner with the Canadian Juniors, and weak draft year or no we have 3 picks in the first round yup I am filled with optimism...GO OIL...uh that is optimism after this Coyote debacle god we suck in games with pregame ceremonies...
Old 02-28-2007, 12:32 AM
Rocks

Too funny about Smyth... don't know why oil didn't throw in the towel earlier, now the best thing will be if NYI also miss the playoffs, I will lmao, hey how'd that messyer night go, oil win?? LOL
Old 02-28-2007, 01:04 AM
kanonfodder

I don't think we ever throw in the white towel, we have a proud history in this league, you know what's really sad that the so called sportscasters in this town ( Calgary ) spent more time relishing in the Smytty trade than worrying about their team solidifying their 8th place spot, remember paybacks a b&^%ch and in 2008 when the Flames can't afford to re-sign IGGY, KIPPER and PHANEUF.....well we'll hear the crying all over Alberta
Old 02-28-2007, 01:17 AM
Baulde

Well I can agree with you one one part

Quote:
Flames can't afford to re-sign IGGY, KIPPER and PHANEUF.....well we'll hear the crying all over Alberta
But I have this opinion that the Sutter is a little better at dealing. It would be nice to keep all 3 but someone is probably going to go. I realize this. Enjoy it if it makes you feel better.
Don't worry I expect you to be laughing and dancing then when it does happen.
I don't like the fact Smyth was traded, who will be there to hoist the trophy(mullet) now ?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Jamie Hunt

Yah know I was going to save this for later, but since Baulde said this
Quote:
I don't like the fact Smyth was traded, who will be there to hoist the trophy(mullet) now ?
I cant help myself. I know deep inside I am evil:rollin :rollin :rollin

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Old 02-28-2007, 01:25 AM
kanonfodder

Nop I won't laugh, if it was a US team or to be honest the LEAFS then I would but not a small market team.....as for being better at dealing that remains to be seen I like the trade and what it represents, and if he comes back July1 ala free agency then Klowe looks pretty smart in my books....
Old 02-28-2007, 01:57 AM
gunner 83

Message to Kevin Lowe

linked so as to not cause to big a stir
Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 AM
kanonfodder

LOL Gunner come back from the edge pal it's OK man we will survive this. Geez sometimes fans get a wee bit too fan(atical)....:rollin have some faith the Oil will survive this as sure as the Flamers will CHOKE as always.....BTW Jamie your not evil just pathetically unable to resist the Sutter brand kool-aid :lol GO Oil
Old 02-28-2007, 02:21 AM
gunner 83

Quote:
some faith the Oil
oh i do, one thing that is always true is that you never count the Oil out until the last buzzer of the last game (unless of course they have already been mathematically eliminated..but whatev). I'm just really really ****ed at Kevin Lowe, but i guess the guy I should be really mad at is Smyths agent, he should prbobably not book a vacation to Edmonton any time soon.

also on a positive...the flames have LOTS of road games, where we all know the suck hard, so hopefully they go into a nasty slump and the Oil pick up the pace and sneak into that #8 spot
Old 02-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Baulde

If the sutter brand kool-aid is whiskey, ill join in with that. In other news.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:17 AM
gopherslayer

Default LOL

Quote:
when the Flames can't afford to re-sign IGGY, KIPPER and PHANEUF.....well we'll hear the crying all over Alberta
Not really a fair comparison when the Oil was only looking at signing ONE of their KEY players. But wait...I remembver 2 years ago when the Flames were faced with the same problem with Iggy in '05 and what did they do???

"Jerome Iginla has signed a 3-year deal with the Calgary Flames for $21mil.". They will do it again when it comes up...cause you don't trade away your franchise player :rolleyes .....TWICE!!

Oil has more cups, just less class when it comes to dealing with their players.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Tucumseh

Default Re: LOL

Don't you soiler fans worry about about Iggy , Kipper and Phaneuf. Sutter is a clever dude and I'm sure he's already looking ahead.

As for the soilers, Lowe has now confirmed your season is over, except it.
R:rollin lie! :lol :lol
Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Duk Dog

Default Flames fans beware

Us Flames fans better beware - after this season you have to deal with Stuart, Hamrlik, and Primeau. After the next season there is Iggy, Kipper, Regher, Phaneuf, and I think Conroy as well. I'm sure there are likely others like Huselius and Lombardi. It will be no easy task and you can count on some of these guys moving on.
It is a shame that the Oilers had to move him. I would love nothing more than for all the Canadian teams to make the playoffs and one to finally win the cup again.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Jamie Hunt

Default Re: Flames fans beware

Yes we have some issues to deal with in the comming years.
I hope it turns out better than it did 3 hours north.

If the moons align correctly we could be tied for 6th after tonight and only 2 points out of 1st (or 3rd).
Go Flames go.

So here is a idea. And its just my idea the other calgary fans involved would have to aggree.
If the 3 Die hard Oiler fans would agree to wear our log till the Flames are finished for the year, I wouldnt make them keep the logo till next fall.
Any thoughts?

Jamie
Old 02-28-2007, 02:49 PM
BrownBear416

Default HeHe

Jamie...you have to ask yourself would they have done the same for us.:lol :lol

Sutter will get the job dont next year just wait and see.

Cap is going up to 47 mill

Iggy and Smitty are two differen't things because iggy will sign for less money and a longer contract,where smitty would not do this because he felt Kl and the Oiler's where not paying him what he deserves...and he was probably right.

Sutter is also a hundred times Smarter then KL
Old 02-28-2007, 06:10 PM
lethalconnection

Default Re: HeHe

Just to change things up a bit here but umm what in the hell is St.Louis thinking, they just got rid of two of their best players for well really nothing, i cant believe they did that thats even more stupid then edmonton getting rid of Smyth.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Jamie Hunt

BB, I was just thinking how good it will look on them once the playoffs start. OR do they have to put it up once Edmonton is officially elimated from the playoffs?

Jamie
Old 02-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Baulde

The first team out loses,
Once once team is out first or one team does not make the playoffs the banners go up

They are out if the team in no way can make the playoffs. Ex: All playoff positions are clinched or even if they won all games they would still not make the playoffs. That would be an out.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Jamie Hunt

AHHHH
Then I retract my offer. I thought (for some stupid reason) that the banners went up after both teams are out.
Never mind
My bad.
So the countdown day is????????
Calgary should have a majic number in the next couple of weeks.

Jamie

BTW I still think they should post up my little paragraph on the banner
:rollin :rollin :rollin
Old 02-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Charmax

I will tonight will put us in a tie for 1st and no looking back back after that. Its time that Van starts a loosing streak. We need to get some wins under our belt before we go on the road. As for keeping our team together in Calgary over the next couple of years. I agree Sutter will come up with some plan. I think the count down has started........
Old 03-01-2007, 12:50 AM
BrownBear416

Default 1st place is ours...........ok tied....

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss......

Wow for such a boring game it had a blockbuster finish.

Kippy was fantastic in the shootout and it should be a great confidence booster for him.

Beauty shot by Iggy...8)

I think David Moss is going to really turn into something special.8o