Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-10-2015, 05:31 PM

Default March of the Anglers

My latest is up, have a look!

http://www.pikepinksterab.blogspot.c...f-anglers.html
Old 03-10-2015, 07:55 PM

Great post, I'm a fly fishing newbie, I've got three questions

*Are runs and rifles worth fishing this time of year or should I stick to pools for fish action
-Would dead drifting a nymph rig under an indicator be appropriate this time of year
-Would a streamer be better fished under an indicator or without
Thanks , I appreciate advice from an expert
Old 03-10-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
Great post, I'm a fly fishing newbie, I've got three questions

*Are runs and rifles worth fishing this time of year or should I stick to pools for fish action
-Would dead drifting a nymph rig under an indicator be appropriate this time of year
-Would a streamer be better fished under an indicator or without
Thanks , I appreciate advice from an expert
I'll clarify one major thing before I go on...I am no expert. I've been fly fishing for two years, and I'm merely sharing what I've been able to pick up in that short time.

Here is what I can suggest:
If you find some warmer conditions it can't hurt to fish the rifles and runs. Trout will typically look for an ideal temperature where they can feed, and generally moving water is colder than warmer water. You are more likely to find the fish in some of the deeper slack water, but as the water warms up they will move into the rifles.

Dead drifting a nymph under an indicator can be effective pretty much any time of year. While it isn't a traditional "nymph" I essentially use a stonefly nymph pattern under an indicator with a dead drift. The same rules apply as other times of the year...get that rig to the bottom as quickly as you possible can.

I've certainly found streamers to be the most effective at this time of year, especially when the water turns progressively brown. Find a run that dumps off into a deeper bucket and run that streamer straight across, you should be able to pick up a fish or two. As the rainbows move up to spawn this month, you'll find more and more browns that are looking for an easy meal to swim in front of them. I've seen more large browns on streamers in March and April than any time of the year (I know that isn't typically to all fishermen, but it is my experience).

I hope this helps, best of luck out there!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikePinkster View Post
I'll clarify one major thing before I go on...I am no expert. I've been fly fishing for two years, and I'm merely sharing what I've been able to pick up in that short time.

Here is what I can suggest:
If you find some warmer conditions it can't hurt to fish the rifles and runs. Trout will typically look for an ideal temperature where they can feed, and generally moving water is colder than warmer water. You are more likely to find the fish in some of the deeper slack water, but as the water warms up they will move into the rifles.

Dead drifting a nymph under an indicator can be effective pretty much any time of year. While it isn't a traditional "nymph" I essentially use a stonefly nymph pattern under an indicator with a dead drift. The same rules apply as other times of the year...get that rig to the bottom as quickly as you possible can.

I've certainly found streamers to be the most effective at this time of year, especially when the water turns progressively brown. Find a run that dumps off into a deeper bucket and run that streamer straight across, you should be able to pick up a fish or two. As the rainbows move up to spawn this month, you'll find more and more browns that are looking for an easy meal to swim in front of them. I've seen more large browns on streamers in March and April than any time of the year (I know that isn't typically to all fishermen, but it is my experience).

I hope this helps, best of luck out there!
Thanks for the response! I started last season around june, so its my first spring fly fishing. I've got plenty of streamers, its time to use them!
Old 03-11-2015, 09:48 AM

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Even if someone picks up on one tip or suggestion it is always worth it. I have read more than a few books but appreciate it when they repeat themselves and then find some odd tip added on that another angler has shared, and in using that tip it changes you into a slightly better fly fishermen. Of which I need to be and will always strive for.

Tags
alberta, bow river, flyfishing