Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2013, 12:08 AM

Default Need some computer program help please

Am keeping a fishing Journal along with photo's. Don't have office so am using MS works word processor as the program. Every time I want to see the journal it has to reload the photo's at about 20 sec. a photo. What program should I be using to journal? I don't want to spend a pile of cash, just something to look at pic's and read my fishing highlight's. Thanks

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2013, 12:16 AM

I don't know if this will be better, but I use open office. Same sort of program as word, it will open and save word files, but it's free. Might be worth a try.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:27 AM

I don't do anything like that but maybe powerpoint would be good.

20 seconds per photo is ridiculous. You need to upgrade your computer or resize photos.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 AM

If you want a word analog I would highly recommended Libre Office it has better features and a better development community behind it than Open Office.

As for taking a long time to load each picture it is most likely your pictures are very large if you just grab them from your camera and put them in the journal. I would suggest resizing them appropriately (72 - 102dpi should work well).

For organizing your photos and reformatting/resizing them I would give Picasa a try. It works fairly well and has Google backing it so it is a well supported project.

Thanks
JK
Old 06-03-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Am keeping a fishing Journal along with photo's. Don't have office so am using MS works word processor as the program. Every time I want to see the journal it has to reload the photo's at about 20 sec. a photo. What program should I be using to journal? I don't want to spend a pile of cash, just something to look at pic's and read my fishing highlight's. Thanks
20 seconds per photo means a couple of things:

1. You store everything on your desktop, which makes any computer run like crap, so move everything on another partition, NOT C: drive (if you have one)
2. Your computer is 20 + years old and there is almost nothing that you can do about it
3. Best scenario: youre missing video card drivers.

Use open office, that is a good replacement for microsoft office.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Banned

Why don't you try and look at a blogging program such as blogger.com . Is free, easy to use, to run by Google, and you never have to worry about limits such as photographs etc. Its worth looking into.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Why don't you try and look at a blogging program such as blogger.com . Is free, easy to use, to run by Google, and you never have to worry about limits such as photographs etc. Its worth looking into.
^^^^ Use a program meant for that type of thing
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 AM

I agree with avb3, use an online tool to create a blog, the only downside is if your internet is really slow, then you will still have issues with your pictures.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel S. View Post
20 seconds per photo means a couple of things:

1. You store everything on your desktop, which makes any computer run like crap, so move everything on another partition, NOT C: drive (if you have one)
2. Your computer is 20 + years old and there is almost nothing that you can do about it
3. Best scenario: youre missing video card drivers.

Use open office, that is a good replacement for microsoft office.
No all these are incorrect, the photo's are stored in "my pictures" in jpeg format, I keep them as large as possible after editing in case I ever want to print. I edit photo's all the time and have no issues with time etc.

I don't understand why once the photo is loaded to the word doc, it doesn't stay there permanently. This is the only thing that this computer does slow and it may be the file is to big, but once it's there, why does the word doc. not just keep it?

Was thinking about it last night, it would probably be easier to create my journal in my photo folders and write my entry there as it would save it as a comment on the pic.

Was thinking about a online journal tool but I don't want others looking at it. Hate to buy a program for something I should be able to do myself.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Is blogger not open to anyone to read?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Banned

Hold crtl-alt-del and click on task manager with everything closed, click on the performance tab and look at your memory usage - what is the percentage when nothing is running? Same with CPU?

If your memory usage is high - and it's not uncommon - could be that there's alot of stuff running in the background that doesn't need to be

You say you're editing your pictures before insert - how big are they in KB?

A good example in dealing with pictures is the desktop background, some use a full blown jpg and the system has to work to regenerate the picture - slowing down the system.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Hold crtl-alt-del and click on task manager with everything closed, click on the performance tab and look at your memory usage - what is the percentage when nothing is running? Same with CPU?

If your memory usage is high - and it's not uncommon - could be that there's alot of stuff running in the background that doesn't need to be

You say you're editing your pictures before insert - how big are they in KB?

A good example in dealing with pictures is the desktop background, some use a full blown jpg and the system has to work to regenerate the picture - slowing down the system.
Pictures are all around 7kb. Not sure how to check memory usage? It's not in task manager.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Banned

what version of windows?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
what version of windows?
7 I think. As you are probably guessing I'm not particularly computer savy, so to speak.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 AM

Skype!!! Just closed everything, not much was running, but that freaking Skype starts running if the computer restarts. Ran the word thing again and it's down to less than a second a pic.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Banned

That would do it