Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Mechanicals VS. Fixed

OK, what do you guys use? And why?

Myself, since I'm rather simple by nature, I subscribe to the KISS principal (Keep It Simple Stupid).

I feel that a fixed setup eliminates one extra thing that can go wrong bowhunting. God knows there's only 2-3 things that can go wrong anyway, so who needs a fourth?

However, those fancy-schmancy thingies look pretty cool. I need to re-stock, so I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Tree
Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM

I have always liked the mechanical broadheads and use the Rocky Mountain Snyper 2 blades. That said, I have very little field experience with the bow and these broadheads to prove or disprove their effectiveness. My biggest attraction has been to the "field point like" performance that is claimed.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM

I've been using mechanicals for the last 5 years or so. If your arrow is tuned to fly and you can hit something other than a shoulder blade or the guts there will be NO issues. This year I'm planning on using a new blind and I want to use it with the mesh windows in, so I'll probably be using fixed blades instead. Bad Penetration = BAD TUNING. The broadhead is just an excuse.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
I've been using mechanicals for the last 5 years or so. If your arrow is tuned to fly and you can hit something other than a shoulder blade or the guts there will be NO issues. This year I'm planning on using a new blind and I want to use it with the mesh windows in, so I'll probably be using fixed blades instead. Bad Penetration = BAD TUNING. The broadhead is just an excuse.
My thoughts exactly.
I use fixed blade heads because I like them, not becauase I think they are better than mechanicls but there are some fixed blade heads I simply will not use because I can't get them to fly properly.
Incidently, One of the broadheads I detest is the Bodkin three blade, a very old design.
Those things are a never ending nightmare for me.
HOWEVER, A very famous bowyer and archer in pennsylavania just loves them!
Go figure....
Whatever it is, it MUST fly straight for you or everything else is a crap shoot.
Cat
Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Russ, I shot through a blind mesh this fall. No issue with my broadheads (125gr Thunderheads), but it pulled the crap out of my field points. I would imagine that you would face the same (if not WORSE) results with mechanicals. BTW, I've had zero issues with the Thunderheads, I'll probably stick with them unless convinced otherwise.

Tree
Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 PM

TG?? I think my last post indicated I would be using fixed blades, more specifically I'll be using cut-on-contact fixed blades to shoot through my screens.

Field points won't cut through the mesh so yes they wouldn't fly worth a darn. I've gotten my BH choice whittled down to 2 cut on contact heads.

Catinthehat, I have five bodkins. I cart 'em around to show people taking the archery portion of the Conservation Education course. Terrible things to sharpen, I've even tried my felt wheel & green compound and still not to my satisfaction.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 PM

I use fixed (steel force 4 blades) but will probably switch to montecs for fixed and would like to try those slip cam mechnical 2 blades on moose this year, they have a 2 inch cutting diameter, lot more chance of always cutting a major lung part. IMO.

I never had a problem with my steel force ones just like the rigid look on montec and have heard good things.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
TG?? I think my last post indicated I would be using fixed blades, more specifically I'll be using cut-on-contact fixed blades to shoot through my screens.
I realize what you indicated. I was only trying to releate my PERSONAL experiences in terms of shooting through mesh. Although that information may not have benefitted you, that is not to say that it wouldn't be helpful to others. No offence ment.

Tree
Old 03-11-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Catinthehat, I have five bodkins. I cart 'em around to show people taking the archery portion of the Conservation Education course. Terrible things to sharpen, I've even tried my felt wheel & green compound and still not to my satisfaction.
The bowyer I mentioned uses a file and puts a wire edge on them.
I can't stand the things myself, and won't even have them in the house anynore - tossed them 20 years ago!
When sharpened with a single cut mil file to a rough wire edge they cut well, but only once, then they need to be complelty gone over, not just retouched.

The big thing for me is they don't pass the first test - accuracy, so they fail right there.

I also got some hi-standards with my Ben pearson when I bought it, and although they are built soemwhat the same as the bodkin, they are much harder steel and out a finer edge on.
However, With a dozen Black Diamond Deltas and grizzlies at my disposal , I haven't bothered even to look a them either....
Cat
Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 AM

Default yup

i also shoot fixed blade, muzzy to be exact.
with the 40 or so bow hunters we bring up each spring i bet i could count the number of guys on one hand that shoot mechanical broadheads.
for one if the elastics happen to break in the quiver your pooched(noone carries spare elastics) you can shoot the mesh with out the broadhead opening.
two if one side breaks off or doesnt open it affects penetration.
but thats just me.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Smile Mechanical vs. Fixed blades

I use the Thunderhead 125 grain fixed blades. Used them since I started bowhunting and have been successful, so why change? They have harvested me deer and moose from 20 -60 yards with one hit on each animal. I like them and will keep using them.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Russ, I agree with you 100% on that point, but allow me to re-phrase also. Perhaps the only shot you have is on an animal quartering TOWARD your position. In that situation, I'd feel confident taking the shot due to the fact that my BH/arrow combination has been proven effective via the barrel test. I guess that's the point I was trying to make.

Tree
Old 03-22-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
. Perhaps the only shot you have is on an animal quartering TOWARD your position.

Tree
Then there is no shot, it's a pass. NO matter the size of the animal or the date on the calendar.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:40 PM

Comparing a barrel to an animal is like apples to oranges, but I think it would give me a nice measure of confidence in my BH if it could plow through a barrel and come out okay. I'm sure that there are loads of heads that would miserably fail the barrel test, yet still perform perfectly on an animal, even through the shoulder blade on a less than perfect hit. Probably some the other way around as well. I do like the idea of my BH being tough enough for the barrel though.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 AM

I certainly would not ever condone hitting a shoulder blade on an animal ever.

The barrell torture test is overkill. But I know the broadhead that survives a barrell will survive impact with a rib!...

witha bow you have to stay away from shoulder blade....

That being said i shot a trotting mule deer...(Long story) at 8 yards and arow smashed through the ribs an went through the legbone on the far side and continued on through the grain clipping of barley heads.

On my very first deer it jumped my string and had an ideal shot turned into a less than ideal shot. The arrow went through the hindquarters. the deer run away with arrow in his *****. i was absolutely sick!.... i recovered the deer after 30 yards. I found out that the arrow had cut the iliac arteries and broadhead was through skin on far side. it was a rocky mountain premiere and went through 5 and 1/2 inches of bone total in the pelvic region. One blade was cracked but intact. if the broadhead would not have been able to survive a barrel it probably would not have resulted in a dead deer!...
Old 03-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then there is no shot, it's a pass. NO matter the size of the animal or the date on the calendar.

can't kill em if you don't shoot at em russ.....

at least thats the flipside to that story
Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 PM

Are you saying you would take a quartering to shot through a shoulder blade on purpose?