Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 AM

Default Wheelchair accessible hunting

I'm a newbie, I finished my PAL recently and haven't bought a rifle. I'm asking for suggestions about lighter, smaller rifles (6 lbs max as a guideline)? I will always be with an able bodied hunting partner. I have full upper body strength but am always with my wheelchair for all mobility in my day. At this point, I see myself going coyote hunting and nothing larger for now.

Any suggestions on locations where accessibility to wheelchairs is a priority?

I am in Edmonton. I can and do online searches very well, I know my questions can be answered online but I am looking for any first hand knowledge that hunters have and experienced.

In summary...any suggestions for smaller, lighter rifles (6 lbs maximum), any locations to hunt where the thought is to include a wheelchair user hunter in the Edmontonish area?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 AM

I would think that something in a 243 calibre should work for you, I had a reminton mohawk that was very light, not sure of exact weight. This calibre is legal for deer when you get there. As for accessability, I would think there should be some place for you to get a whack at a coyote. I am sure that someone might know of a place where you could set up a ground blind for deer as well. Hope this is of some help to you.
PG
Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 AM

From Experience!

If you are planning on getting out of the truck, it will be easiest to get around on packed down surfaces. Fallow field will be difficult.
Packed down hay fields are easy.
Grain fields that have been harvested are nice as well.
You can get a permit from ASRD/F+W for using an OHV.And to my surprise there is one to shoot from a vehicle-I never pull that one.Personal choice.

As for a rifle, I shoot a 300 mag. It's a little heavier. It's a little much for coyotes-I know.It's the only rifle I shoot though
For a starter rifle I shot a 6.5 x 54. I don't recall there being a whole lot of recoil with that rifle.
Very fast bolt, flat shooter would be great for open prairie coyotes.It's also light enough to handle if you are on the smaller side.
Put a sling on your rifle and carry around your neck.
You may have to pad up the sling abit so it won't cut through the back of your neck.
Where are you from and what is your disability?

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM

When you get some of the red tape together and are ready for a easy to get around white tail hunt this coming fall if you would like give me a call and i would be more than happy to take you out on some very productive private land .You will only need a ride here and i will take care of the rest 2hrs west of Edmonton .
Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Default 5.5 lbs

Savage's Model 11 Lightweight Hunter (5.5 lbs) is available in 223, .243, .260,
7mm-08, .308 and others more exotic:

20" barrel, thin profile.
40" overall length incl. recoil pad.
Well balanced.

About $800.

Good luck next Fall.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:18 PM

I appreciate the insights so far. I also appreciate the offer to accommodate a hunt.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM

For a first coyote/white tail gun 243 would be hard to beat. For rifle, set your price then go handle them at a shop.
I'm 40 min east, might have some easy access coyote shooting and a 100y range.
Brad
Old 02-10-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willycharles View Post
I appreciate the insights so far. I also appreciate the offer to accommodate a hunt.
Good to see you have interests in wheelchair hunting. I've been doing it for 16yrs and I have a vehicle permit, so i can shoot from my truck. Some times i use a ground blind which is pretty cool once your in it. Theres some great people on here that will take you out. If I was to look at a new rifle, I'd look at a 243 or 7-08 and load it light for yotes. Good luck in your hunts and keep us posted..
Old 02-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d6dan View Post
Good to see you have interests in wheelchair hunting.
I have a couple hanging in the garage as well.
They are not big enough to bring in the house. The one's that are though...Trophys in my eyes.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I have a couple hanging in the garage as well.
They are not big enough to bring in the house. The one's that are though...Trophys in my eyes.
Ya, funny. I have 5..
Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 PM

Willy Charles,
put in for resident male muledeer in 226 and you can hunt on my land.You WILL get a good muley.As for now,if trout fishing might interest you,please pm me.I can show you more trout in 10 minutes than you have ever seen before ,then you can catch a couple over 5 lbs.
good luck with your search
NW
Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 PM

Thank you for the offer, I appreciate it a bunch. I will definitely keep you gesture in mind.

Thank you!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 PM

Northwinds...I'm not sure if you've received a reply message or three from me. I don't seem to be doing something right as my PM reply isn't sending.
Let me know if you've received the PM. If you have then it just hasn't registered as sent in my messages.

Thanks!

Tags
disabled, edmonton, newbie, wheelchair