Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Default Water/Ice Conditions & Fishing Reports for North Saskatchewan River

If anyone has any information on the water/ice conditions or how the fishing is please let me know as I live 1 1/2 hrs NW of Edmonton and would like to start fishing again as soon as possible.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 PM

fishing it a bit, inside the city and just outside of fort sask... 1 fish in 3 tries, most of the ice shelves gone, they are super dangerous the ones that are left. water is really diiirrrtttyyy
Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightedge View Post
fishing it a bit, inside the city and just outside of fort sask... 1 fish in 3 tries, most of the ice shelves gone, they are super dangerous the ones that are left. water is really diiirrrtttyyy
How long where you out, what you using? Any one else have success on the NSR. I want to make a trip this weekend and fish under the Quesnell Bridge and downtown at Dawson park. Thinking with the dirty water bait might be a really good option.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 PM

Muddy waters equals pickrel rig and bait.(or something that keeps the bait stationary).
Old 04-12-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Muddy waters equals pickrel rig and bait.(or something that keeps the bait stationary).
Yah that's what I was thinking. Is there still lots of ice shelves on the river, like will I be even able to fish in Edmonton.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Anyone have any pics or information of how much ice is off the river or how the fishing's been the last few day?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:51 PM

I think much of the river is frozen upstream of the water treatment plant, though downstream of it is good past Fort Sask.

Water's a little murky, but it's not too bad and lure fishing is still viable if you don't want to do the bait thing.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-13-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I think much of the river is frozen upstream of the water treatment plant, though downstream of it is good past Fort Sask.

Water's a little murky, but it's not too bad and lure fishing is still viable if you don't want to do the bait thing.
any luck yourself fishing on the NSR yet? I would really like to get back fishing as soon as possible, I C&R a lot of fish out of the river but like to keep the odd nice size northern pike throughout the year.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:12 PM

Was down on the water today didn't seem like a lot of open water and the water was really dirty I had a few bites but that was all.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaYoungGun_93 View Post
any luck yourself fishing on the NSR yet? I would really like to get back fishing as soon as possible, I C&R a lot of fish out of the river but like to keep the odd nice size northern pike throughout the year.
no offense intended by this incase it rubs ya wrong but did you say you keep the odd northern from the nsr? i dont know how safe that is to eat . around the city its pretty nasty
Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
no offense intended by this incase it rubs ya wrong but did you say you keep the odd northern from the nsr? i dont know how safe that is to eat . around the city its pretty nasty
yah maybe 1 or 2 all year round and no offense taken. I think they recommend the consumption of 1 fish a week max for men and for woman and children 0. I understand the high levels of mercury and all the other toxins that go into the north sask river and usually I don't end up eating it all myself but sharing with a few of my friends. Some of the ice is off from Fort Sask to Devon but not a whole lot. I ended up fishing under the Quesnell Bridge at the outfall for a few hours, water was really murky/dirty but was able to C&R a few small walleye.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:16 AM

I'm was just fishing the NSR in front of the Hotel MacDonald and caught a nice mountain white fish about 10". No luck with a five of diamonds spinner but when I threw on a minnow lure I had a bite within 3 casts.

Tags
edmonton, fishing, north saskatchewan river, nsr, river