Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2017, 01:09 AM

Default New Too Pike, Suggestions?

Hello everyone,

Recently moved to Edmonton and would love to go fishing for some Pike this weekend. Have asked around at work and everybody suggests Lac La Biche for Pike that is not catch and release.

Wondering if you guys have any other good spots for Pike or maybe even other big fish that are about 2-3 hours away from Edmonton. Would prefer being able to keep the fish

Also which bait worked best for you?

Thanks a ton!
Old 06-07-2017, 06:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Welcome, check the regs to get exactly the answers you need, then when one chimes in here you can verify what they are saying is accurate, don't just head out to a location, catch and keep by word of mouth...good luck.
Live to far away to give you any other input.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-07-2017, 06:08 AM

The good old Five-o-diamonds spoons are something Pike seem to enjoy...

Worked for me in Alberta and Northwest Territories!

Last Pike I catched was a small 24 incher that went for a big no.4 5-o-D.
There is that story that came out yesterday, of a 5 yo girl that catched a nice pike with one too!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
The good old Five-o-diamonds spoons are something Pike seem to enjoy...

Worked for me in Alberta and Northwest Territories!

Last Pike I catched was a small 24 incher that went for a big no.4 5-o-D.
There is that story that came out yesterday, of a 5 yo girl that catched a nice pike with one too!
Yeah, the Len Thompson 5oD and the orange and white are some of my top producers, besides that a black Spinnerbait with gold spinners , and a firetiger Rattletrap. I think you could hit pretty much any lake in Canada with just those 4 lures and consistently do very well with the pike.

Lac La Biche, Wizzard, Coal, and of course Wabamun. Those were the lakes I fished when I lived around Edmonton.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Yeah, the Len Thompson 5oD and the orange and white are some of my top producers, besides that a black Spinnerbait with gold spinners , and a firetiger Rattletrap. I think you could hit pretty much any lake in Canada with just those 4 lures and consistently do very well with the pike.

Lac La Biche, Wizzard, Coal, and of course Wabamun. Those were the lakes I fished when I lived around Edmonton.
Would you prefer Wizard or Coal for bigger pike? Never been to either, but would save a lot of time instead of going to Lac La Biche.
Also which has less weeds and easier to access?

Thank you
Old 06-07-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houcheimi View Post
Would you prefer Wizard or Coal for bigger pike? Never been to either, but would save a lot of time instead of going to Lac La Biche.
Also which has less weeds and easier to access?

Thank you
Not sure where either of those lakes are at this point, in the past Coal Lake produced some huge pike and I favored it over Wizard. By the time I left the city it had been fished out and the water levels had dropped pretty low. With the current pike regulations and some wetter years it might be doing better now. If that's the case then I'd say Coal, but you'd have to talk to someone with more current info.

The biggest pike I ever caught was out of Coal and it was 22 lbs, I caught it in shallow water on a topwater plug, because he couldn't go down he went up... lots. Sounded like a fat dude doing doing belly flops... my heart was in my throat the whole 40 minuits it took to land him on 12 lb line. No matter how many big fish I catch that fish will always be a really vivid memory for me.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-07-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Tags
edmonton, lac la biche, pike