Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2018, 05:11 PM

Default Cortisone shots

I have a shoulder problem, and my doc thinks it may becoming frozen. Tried warm laser treatments, and shock wave therapy, with mediocer results. He suggested cortisone shots. Has anybody ever had them, and what do think about this. Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Banned

I've torn both rotator cuffs and was recommended cortisone shots but I never took them.

My aunt is a medical lab technician, she told me about in light medical, it sounds like something you should look into.

Sorry I can't speak for the cortisone.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:20 PM

Does help but very painful. I mean very. For me it mostly took time. The doc said three years and he was right. Have to be careful now.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:23 PM

Default cortisone shot

it help the firsts shot then it got worse put hands together behind you back then pull your shoulders back neck down then pull you hand down ward
Old 05-30-2018, 05:23 PM

I have damaged shoulder that was investigated with ultra sonic, X rays and various probing's via hands. The conclusion my GP came to after extensive testing was; because shoulders are not designed very robust and my damage is relatively (his words) minor therefore no surgery recommended. According to him he has seen good surgical outcomes and well as not so good, due to the less than idea design of the shoulder. So this may be less damage than you have.

So here the point of my input; I asked if Cortisone would be effective, his answer (again a GP and real MD) was that the steroid Cortisone can provide immediate relief but it also unequivocally can and does cause longer term deterioration of the joint in some patients.

Take it for what it's worth, that's his advise to me, "no steroid".
Old 05-30-2018, 05:25 PM

I have a 70% torn supraspinitis tendon (rotator cuff) that the surgeon recommended not to operate on, had a cortisone shot and then 6 months of physio.
Its not a repair but certainly took the edge off the pain until I toned up the shoulder muscles.
They say too many shots will effect the bones - I had a dental implant done around the same time as the shot and the bone did not grow around the insert properly, dentist told me it was from the steroids (all good now)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:45 PM

My personal opinion after watching my wife go through 2 separate frozen shoulder incidents on opposite sides is that cortisone is too little too late.

But this was 8-10 years ago. Treatment protocols may have changed.
Protect what mobility you have and seek professional help.
We had our best success at the UofC with a very experienced frozen shoulder therapist, but no idea where you are located.

https://nz.linkedin.com/in/martin-zacharias-7b528739

Last edited by omega50; 05-30-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:51 PM

I am 67 and when I was in my 20's cortisone was the recommended treatment standard for bursitis and tendinitis. Due to the type of sports I played and my job the wear on my shoulders was high and so were the number of cortisone shots. My right shoulder had the most. Now move forward in time. Age 53 torn rotator cuff right shoulder - surgery. Age 64 torn long head bicep tendon right shoulder. Both of my knees were shot in my mid 20's and both have MCL tears and one a partial ACL all later in life. Right ankle was shot and I had an Achilles tear shortly after. There is some information out there now that multiple cortisone shots can dry out tendons. This should be something you ask on.

In terms of pain relief the shot can hurt but it does bring relief to the joint and allow you to get back moving and working. Today there are options but still sometimes it is the only choice.

Good luck and if you go this route ask what the limit is on shots before any damage is done to joints or tendons.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:26 PM

go to a good pysiotherapist
Old 05-30-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
go to a good pysiotherapist
^This! I have had a bunch of shoulder issues, the surgeon I consulted with wanted me to try cortisone but I skipped it. Instead I got some IMS needling done at physio, worked great!
It's worth looking into at least.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:22 AM

I was having a lot of shoulder pain back about 25 yrs ago and got a cortizone shot. Ive never needed another one (no returning pain). Over the past 10-12 yrs I've had 1/2 dozen cortizone shots in a knee, then they stopped working about 5 years ago and my doctor suggested a Duralane shot. The cortizone I had to pay for was about $12 a shot. The Duralane is $500 a shot. But when every move is painful, You'll try anything. I havn't had a pain in my knee since.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:54 AM

I had planters fasciitis (sp??) in my right foot about 5 years ago. worst friggen pain you could imagine every morning. 1 cortisone shot in the bottom of my foot and the pain was gone completely in 3 days. hasn't returned yet.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:30 AM

Default Cortisone

I too have had shoulder problems. It was very painful, as I had a partial tear to the supratinus tendon. I started out with cortizone treatments, every 3-4 months, it received the pain, and allowed more function in my shoulder.
However, because the pain is gone, you get a false feeling that you can do more,
Well I started lifting, pushing, pulling stuff as if nothing were wrong anymore.
Next thing I new I reached for about anchor above my head on a shelf, and got a very severe pain, in my shoulder with bruising and swelling. After ultrasound test, I have torn the suprastinus tendon off the bone, and could be looking at surgery, with implant, drilled into the bone.
I started on therapy, doing light exercises, and building up strength in the muscles around it, and have come a long ways.I am hoping to avoid surgery, but my advice would be, try therapy, or any other options you can rather than cortisone.
Hope things work out for you
Old 05-31-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I have a shoulder problem, and my doc thinks it may becoming frozen. Tried warm laser treatments, and shock wave therapy, with mediocer results. He suggested cortisone shots. Has anybody ever had them, and what do think about this. Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated.
Cortisone can be a short term god send and a long term curse.

Depends how old you are, and how bad you are.

They make a world of difference for my dad. Daily function is the priority for him. He's old enough that long term consquences are not consequential.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:45 AM

A couple of years ago I was on the verge of getting a frozen shoulder. My doctor gave me a series of exercises to do and after 3-4 months the problem went away and has not returned. Takes time and dedication, but it worked.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:18 PM

The big "C" didn't work for me either very limited results, however, my stem cell therapy is definitely helping my lower back.

Would recommend you look into ... https://www.capriclinic.ca/home

D.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:11 PM

Looks like CAPRI isn't offering stem cell therapy presently. Could have been something to consider.

https://www.capriclinic.ca/

I had 3 cortisone injections into my neck last month and they did not help the pain much at all.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-01-2018, 12:19 AM

I have been getting cortisone shots in both hips for just over a year . They have been life changing for me. Being able to walk without pain is a wonderful thing.

The actual injection is a bit painful , not to bad though , and well worth it to me.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:56 AM

I had complete tears in right and left rotators. Had surgery on the right quite a few years ago and now have about 80% mobility. I was scheduled to have the left repaired but put it off dues to the recovery experience on the right. Now my left is really hurting a lot and it hurts with simple things like putting on my shirt. My doc says that I may have put the surgery off too long and due\ to being 70, I might not be a good candidate for a successful repair. I am waiting to go back to the shoulder surgeon but today I am scheduled for a cortisone shot to relive the pain.

THC drops take the edge off the night pain enough to allow me to sleep.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Different problem but yes I get shots in both shoulders about once a year....
Rotators are unhappy...
It helps me but Im told if i need them more often than that I will need surgery.
Shoulder surgery sucks....so ill live with the shots as long as possible.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:37 PM

Cortisone to both shoulders and left elbow once each. Pain gone.
Both knees shot, cortisone shot evey 9>12 months allows walking.
No pain ever felt. Relief instant.

Don
Old 06-02-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I had complete tears in right and left rotators. Had surgery on the right quite a few years ago and now have about 80% mobility. I was scheduled to have the left repaired but put it off dues to the recovery experience on the right. Now my left is really hurting a lot and it hurts with simple things like putting on my shirt. My doc says that I may have put the surgery off too long and due\ to being 70, I might not be a good candidate for a successful repair. I am waiting to go back to the shoulder surgeon but today I am scheduled for a cortisone shot to relive the pain.

THC drops take the edge off the night pain enough to allow me to sleep.
Try a Mota Brownie. Cut into 8 pieces.

Sleep you will pain free

https://cannabismo.ca/product/mota-c...overs-brownie/
Old 06-02-2018, 08:43 PM

Default cortisone

I have had two shots injected in my left knee so I can walk better.
First shot was about 3 years ago, it helped.
second shot did nothing ( a few months ago)
Barely can walk now.
the doc who did the cortisone shot told me about a different shot that is more like a gel. it is suppose to last longer than the cortisone however it is not covered by Alberta health care. So it is not free. If you have medical care from work it might cover part of it.
It is suppose to be similar to cortisone.

Too young for surgery, so i must suck up the pain.

Check with your doctor about the other gel injection like cortisone.
this may help