Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
There's no way that is correct, if it was rendered inoperable, maybe, but there's no way they'd leave a loop hole like that out there, no way! Not if it's a handgun, maybe a muzzle loader. They have handguns so tightened up in Canada, that would never fly.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:26 PM

Antique or not................hunting with any handgun is unlawful.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'll phone and get it right from the horses arse, lol
I own an antique handgun. Bought it with no PAL, legally.

Go ahead and phone. I have a copy of the antique handgun laws in Canada and they go anywhere the handgun goes because most people including law inforcement don’t know the rules and regulations regarding antiques.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:39 PM

Rossi Mares leg 45 long Colt is as close as you can get to a side arm in Canada while hunting.
Change the sights and add a full stock to make perform incredible accurate.
Bluedog
Old 01-13-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
I own an antique handgun. Bought it with no PAL, legally.

Go ahead and phone. I have a copy of the antique handgun laws in Canada and they go anywhere the handgun goes because most people including law inforcement don’t know the rules and regulations regarding antiques.
I've read thru the document, but it doesn't mention hunting in there, I see you can purchase one, but I started the discussion about Ninja finishing off an animal with this antique handgun, which under the wildlife reg.'s you are not allowed to use to hunt with, but I will admit I am completely surprised and learned a lot on this thread, I have recently went thru purchasing a restricted handgun, was a dog and pony show to say the least, which is why I would have bet the farm you couldn't purchase a colt revolver no questions asked. Anyone know why there aren't any restrictions on antiques? Im thrilled there aren't any, but also very surprised.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Antique or not................hunting with any handgun is unlawful.
Correct.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
ill bet you can't fire it, maybe carry it, I'll phone the CFO monday, that is absolutely ridiculous considering the bs they put you thru to possess a non-antique handgun. I'm assuming the antique gun is fully capable of firing a round?

You are wrong! Why do you suppose handguns that meet the antique status with an RCMP letter, sell for five times what the same type of handgun that is restricted sells for? It is because those handguns can be carried an discharged where non restricted handguns are legal to carry and discharge.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You are wrong! Why do you suppose handguns that meet the antique status with an RCMP letter, sell for five times what the same type of handgun that is restricted sells for? It is because those handguns can be carried an discharged where non restricted handguns are legal to carry and discharge.
Im curious but what is the likely scenario if an officer sees you shooting an antique handgun on public land? Even if you are legally in the right I can't see it working out well. Or is this something officers are aware off.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Im curious but what is the likely scenario if an officer sees you shooting an antique handgun on public land? Even if you are legally in the right I can't see it working out well. Or is this something officers are aware off.
quite honestly most officers are probably not aware of it. keep a copy of any laws regarding antiques with you as well as the letter stating that your pistol is one (if such a letter exists for it) and thats it. i know one friend whom after purchasing his antique he went to the local detachment and showed the officers and explained it to them so that they wouldn't have a misunderstanding if that situation arose.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-13-2018, 08:02 PM

the buying and holding of an antique firearm is under federal control.hunting with one is under Alberta rules and was changed a few years ago to include all hand guns,antique or not
Old 01-13-2018, 08:11 PM

Old 01-13-2018, 08:13 PM

Whether it’s an antique or not, it’s still either a pistol or revolver

And, you can’t hunt with a pistol or revolver in Alberta
Old 01-13-2018, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
quite honestly most officers are probably not aware of it. keep a copy of any laws regarding antiques with you as well as the letter stating that your pistol is one (if such a letter exists for it) and thats it. i know one friend whom after purchasing his antique he went to the local detachment and showed the officers and explained it to them so that they wouldn't have a misunderstanding if that situation arose.
That's kinda what I figured. Your friend seems to have it figured out by being proactive. I can see it causing some issues though with the police considering its tough to tell from a distance if the pistol info question is ama antique.

Pretty cool though. I didn't know any of this was a thing.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
Rossi Mares leg 45 long Colt is as close as you can get to a side arm in Canada while hunting.
Change the sights and add a full stock to make perform incredible accurate.
Bluedog
Not only a sidearm but actually legal to hunt with as well....
My Rossi is in 357/38

Might get another in 45 someday ....
Old 01-13-2018, 10:02 PM

Default Antique revolver

If I am reading the storage laws correctly you can legally store your antique revolver unlocked just has to be unloaded. So you could legally sleep with unloaded revolver under your pillow, who knew. Wait for it I can hear the wailing from here.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
ill bet you can't fire it, maybe carry it, I'll phone the CFO monday, that is absolutely ridiculous considering the bs they put you thru to possess a non-antique handgun. I'm assuming the antique gun is fully capable of firing a round?

Well, it’s Thursday now. You still on hold...?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:22 AM

Direct from the Criminal Code of Canada:

Antique Firearms

This fact sheet is intended for individuals who wish to acquire an antique firearm. It presents information about how the Firearms Act applies to firearms that meet the definition of an antique, as set out in the Criminal Code and corresponding regulations.

The Definition of an Antique

The Criminal Code defines an antique firearm as:

Any firearm manufactured before 1898 that was not designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition, and that has not been re-designed to discharge such ammunition, or
Any firearm prescribed to be an antique firearm.
The following firearms are prescribed to be antique firearms under the Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms:

Black Powder Reproductions:

of flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearms, other than handguns, manufactured after 1897;
(Note that all other reproductions of long guns are considered non-restricted firearms. They don’t need to be registered but a licence to possess them is required. As an example, reproductions of percussion cap muzzle-loading firearms like American Civil War Enfield and Springfield rifles are considered non-restricted firearms and not antiques.)

Rifles:

manufactured before 1898 that can discharge only rim-fire cartridges, other than .22 Calibre Short, .22 Calibre Long or .22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges;
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges (whether with a smooth or rifled bore), have a bore diameter of 8.3 mm or greater, measured from land to land in the case of a rifled bore, with the exception of a repeating firearm fed by any type of cartridge magazine;
Shotguns:

manufactured before 1898 that can discharge only rim-fire cartridges, other than .22 Calibre Short, .22 Calibre Long or .22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges;
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, or 410 gauge cartridges;
Handguns:

manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge .32 Short Colt, .32 Long Colt, .32 Smith and Wesson, .32 Smith and Wesson Long, .32‑20 Winchester, .38 Smith and Wesson; .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, .38-40 Winchester, .44‑40 Winchester, or .45 Colt cartridges.
Licensing and Registration Requirements

Individuals who own only antique firearms do not need a firearms licence, nor do they need to register any of their antique firearms.

Selling Antique Firearms

There are no restrictions on selling, buying, bartering or giving away antique firearms.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:00 PM

The answer in a nutshell is "NO". The rest of my message outlines why it is "NO". Reference material from the CC, Firearms Act/Regs along with the Alberta Wildlife Act/Regs, Hunting Regs support the "NO" hunting with an antique revolver or any revolver for that matter. While they do not need a firearms license for the antique as you would for other categories of firearms, they must abide with the storage, transportation and display of the antique firearms as per the Regs.

General Hunting Regulations
It is unlawful to use the following items for the purpose of hunting any wildlife
- a pistol or revolver unless
– the person is a licenced trapper (holding a federal authorization) who is dispatching an animal caught in a trap, or – it is an air powered pistol or revolver that discharges a projectile at less than 500 feet per second (often used for hunting small game).
AND
Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms SOR-98-464 defines antique handguns for the "purposes of paragraph (b) of the definition “antique firearm” in subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code.

Then in the Criminal Code C-46 Section 84.3 it pulls antiques out and classifies them as non-firearms:
"For the purposes of sections 91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 of this Act and the provisions of the Firearms Act, the following weapons are deemed not to be firearms:
(a) any antique firearm;"

Those are what allows anyone to buy, import, sell, display antiques without any firearms licence at all. It also defines restricted and prohibited firearm uses and places lawful to have from the authorizations and licences for those firearms. Antiques are exempt so I read that to say that while an antique handgun that would have been considered restricted or prohibited after 1898 is only bound by those parts of the act that prohibit any general weapon to be concealed, used in a crime, use as a threat, etc.

So then you find this in the Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations SOR/98-209:

5) Sections 5 to 13 do not apply to antique firearms.

ANTIQUE FIREARMS
14. (1) An individual may store, display or transport an antique firearm only if it is unloaded.
(2) An individual may transport an antique firearm in an unattended vehicle only if
(a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the antique firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and
(b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the antique firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the antique firearm, is securely locked.
(3) An individual may transport an antique firearm that is a handgun only if it is in a locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation.

HANDLING OF FIREARMS
15. An individual may load a firearm or handle a loaded firearm only in a place where the firearm may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.

Take care..

HT
Old 01-22-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Whether it’s an antique or not, it’s still either a pistol or revolver

And, you can’t hunt with a pistol or revolver in Alberta
The exception would be a pellet pistol of less than 500 fps.

a pistol or revolver unless
– the person is a licenced trapper (holding a federal authorization) who is dispatching an animal caught in a trap, or
– it is an air powered pistol or revolver that discharges a projectile at less than 500 feet per second (often used for hunting small game).

great for dispatching small game caught in a "trap".
Old 01-22-2018, 10:21 PM
Banned

Can you not go hunting with a rifle and have the antique pistol strapped to your hip????
Old 01-22-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Can you not go hunting with a rifle and have the antique pistol strapped to your hip????
Yes. You can even target shoot with it. Just don't hunt.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:09 AM

Guys, what about this situation on trapline. We are able to shoot 6 black bear per year on our line. I have a black bear showing aggression, I shoot him with my 357. However I am not hunting just protecting myself and harvesting fur??
Old 01-23-2018, 10:32 AM

Default Sidearm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there not an incident a few years back where a bow hunter was out hunting. He was attacked and he used a sidearm to shoot the grizzly? I can't remember the details, but was he not charged with using a pistol?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there not an incident a few years back where a bow hunter was out hunting. He was attacked and he used a sidearm to shoot the grizzly? I can't remember the details, but was he not charged with using a pistol?
Personally, I would have preferred that he was charged for the firearms violations, as it would have gotten exposure that the government wanted to avoid.. He did violate the Firearms Act, but the fact that the firearm may have saved his life would make the government look bad, if they charged him.