Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-27-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
You owe me one, Paul. It was a pretty encouraging night on the river tonite. We actually had a double header going when Paul hooked the big pike. Mine was a burb though. Some other guys were at our spot before us and were just leaving. They landed a hog 8 pound walleye. There was still quite a bit of ice in the river tonite.
Does this mean I am buying the brewkies ??
Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 PM

Geezle and myself were out there last night Man what a beautiful night to be fishing , really I don't think there is a bad evening of fishing , but it was exceptional once that wind died off .

Still some huge Ice bergs coming down , And very fast fluctuations with water depth . We marked off a spot with a 12 inch stick and within half hour or so it was covered . And Some of the huge Ice chunks that were stuck in close to shore floated away .

I managed to catch a 1 lb Burbot which is a first so that was kind of cool , and then casted way out for giggles and not 5 minutes later my line was B lining it up stream , ended up snapping my line with all that ice . Still unsure what it was but it was a mac truck or a big Sturgeon . If the rain holds off im gonna make a repeat performance tonight . But appears to be a thunderstorm a brewin to the east of here .

Something about sitting around with coyotes howling in the back ground ducks quacking , and a nice fire , catching fish is just a bonus .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
Does this mean I am buying the brewkies ??
Paul and Axeman , we were warned by Fish and wildlife officers last week that there will be no warnings this year for open booze , first time its a ticket next time its a court appearance . Don't think you guys are the type to drink and fish , but thought id feel you in on what we were told .
Old 04-27-2011, 03:20 PM

BBJ, sounds perfect, I may head out tonight, Hermitage apparently tons of Burb. As for the rain.. I hope it hold off until tomorrow.. I plan on fishing monday, expected to be +18. Maybe by then all the larger ice chunks will have made their way out of the city.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:59 PM

Paul and Axeman , we were warned by Fish and wildlife officers last week that there will be no warnings this year for open booze , first time its a ticket next time its a court appearance . Don't think you guys are the type to drink and fish , but thought id feel you in on what we were told .

Who said we are drinking beer while we fish ? I am well aware of what the law says about open liquor while fishin (wishin).
Still good advice to give
Cheers
Old 04-27-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Who said we are drinking beer while we fish ? I am well aware of what the law says about open liquor while fishin (wishin).
Still good advice to give
Cheers
I was just saying generally considering you were talkin beer , Im not saying you werent alls good my friend . I think they have given many warnings and been many problems and they are gonna crack down , which is good . Might not be a bad thing . Just thought id give the heads up is all . Hope to see ya fellows at River X Spot

A little off topic , Saw you on the news the other night very cool invention you built yourself .
Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 PM

John, we might stop and say hi to you guys at the X spot but we will be at Y spot until it dries up.... Besides, I'm scared of those monster Sturg at the X spot. It was a beautiful night last night. The car said 13 degrees when we left just before dark.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
John, we might stop and say hi to you guys at the X spot but we will be at Y spot until it dries up.... Besides, I'm scared of those monster Sturg at the X spot. It was a beautiful night last night. The car said 13 degrees when we left just before dark.
Sounds good to me . Well be there .
Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
Walk North across the Quesnel bridge and fish the outflow. All you need is a slip bobber and 50 bags of worms. Great fun for the kids!
Where exactly do you go once you cross the bridge? Taking a couple of beginners out on the weekend and was wondering what the fishing success was and how muddy? I'm new to the forums and relatively new to fishing but hopefully will be able to gain and provide some valuable info over the course of the season.
Cheers.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Where exactly do you go once you cross the bridge? Taking a couple of beginners out on the weekend and was wondering what the fishing success was and how muddy? I'm new to the forums and relatively new to fishing but hopefully will be able to gain and provide some valuable info over the course of the season.
Cheers.
I'm not sure about this spot across the bridge, but if you're on the Whitemud heading West you can get off at Fox Dr and head down to the little park there (might have to look at a map, been a while since I've been down there, and there's been construction going on) where you can park your vehicle and walk down to where the Whitemud Creek meets up with the NSR.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Question Hows Fishin

Hey BBJ
How was the fishin last night on the Nsr. I figure Axeman and I could fish at location Z if X and Y is slow fishin (wishin )............................
Cheers
Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Hey BBJ
How was the fishin last night on the Nsr. I figure Axeman and I could fish at location Z if X and Y is slow fishin (wishin )............................
Cheers
We didnt even get out of the trucks . Sat there watched house sized ice bergs coming down and mac truck sized trees . I was sad . I wont be able to fish all weekend due to having booth at trade show in town .

I also noticed that the river has been coming up and dropping very fast fluxuations , You can see where it comes up at night to the flats there where you park then drops down to below that .

But I figure by next week things should be good to go . On my way home stopped by 2 other spots one where you gotta gain permission to get to , there was NO ice or logs , And at the boat launch in town there was no ice or logs either but very muddy .

So damned if you do and damned if you dont . I think Ill wait a few days and go back to spot E F G .
Old 04-28-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I caught this snot rocket on 6 lb test fireline with a 6 lb test fluorocarbon leader line. Axeman gave me help landing this one and had to hang onto my leg to prevent him from falling into the nsr while trying to lift the fish out of the water. Sorry you pants got
dirty Axeman.....
Fun to catch ultra-lite fishing.
Saw that pic at TFH today...nice work!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-29-2011, 06:35 PM

man, I wonder if the NSR is probably the only place to fish right now around Edmonton? Ponds around the city are still frozen or with winter kill
Old 04-30-2011, 06:30 PM

Thumbs up Nsr for April 30, 11

Today Axeman and fished location "Y" and had good fishin in the morning.
Axeman did a good job catching the Burbot and I said maybe we should change your forum handle to the Burbot Slayer. He caught about 10 or so
My day was not that productive and only caught 1 pike, 3 burbot and 1 wallyeye. The NS river is runny ice free, very muddy and noticed an increase to the water level today.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walleye_apr30_11.JPG (59.1 KB, 185 views)
Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 PM

Default RE:

Ive been fishing the NSR for few years, Ive had really good days of fishing. Ive had skunk days with no luck. The river is good, Just have to learn the tricks of the river. I'll wait until the river clears up and warms up before I go fishing.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I caught this snot rocket on 6 lb test fireline with a 6 lb test fluorocarbon leader line. Axeman gave me help landing this one and had to hang onto my leg to prevent him from falling into the nsr while trying to lift the fish out of the water. Sorry you pants got
dirty Axeman.....
Fun to catch ultra-lite fishing.
Nice jack water must be warming up

Last edited by alodar; 04-30-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:11 PM

There was a burb biting frenzy this morning at our little spot. Hard to believe that many burbs stacked up in such a little hole. Burb Slayer.....lol. My least favorite fish to catch but what the heck, make hay when the sun shines. I did have a very large pike take a slash at my jig too. Paul, you keep them jacks and wallys outta my way and I'll slay those ugly burbs...
Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 AM

Wink Missed Mr. Pike

Quote:
There was a burb biting frenzy this morning at our little spot. Hard to believe that many burbs stacked up in such a little hole. Burb Slayer.....lol. My least favorite fish to catch but what the heck, make hay when the sun shines. I did have a very large pike take a slash at my jig too. Paul, you keep them jacks and wallys outta my way and I'll slay those ugly burbs...
That pike you missed even had me foaming at the mouth.
That ><><))@> was a monster.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Today Axeman and fished location "Y" and had good fishin in the morning.
Axeman did a good job catching the Burbot and I said maybe we should change your forum handle to the Burbot Slayer. He caught about 10 or so
My day was not that productive and only caught 1 pike, 3 burbot and 1 wallyeye. The NS river is runny ice free, very muddy and noticed an increase to the water level today.
Cheers
that location in the pic looks like a location in Fort Sask I know. Nice walleye
Old 05-01-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
it won't be long now and that "little hole" will be overrun with walleye. share some pics of the bigger ones with us please.

Dace
Old 05-01-2011, 03:09 PM

nsr is awsome right now, lost some huge pike, catching tonns of burbot there is so many of them you end up snagging alot as well, some huge walleye-8-10 pounds on my facebook account@ shawn sami for photos, what a great start to the fishing on the nsr
Old 05-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Why do I keep getting skunked!!! lol I have been out about 6 times and only managed 2 suckers. Someone take me to spot x or y please. lol
Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 PM

yeah me too Ive been out 4 times now since possible and not even a bite. tried lots. Pickeral rigs,spoons, jigs, bare jig head, floating rapalas, slip bobber w/bare hook tipped with minnows,worms ect. No luck. what to do what to do.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:01 AM

Was out with Jay , adam and myself ,Jay caught 4 burbot , I got a 6 inch walleye and several trees . I was using Adams baitcaster getting it all set up for him had 2 short hits from a pike . I think Tommorow when we go out Ill take my small baitcaster and chuck out some big spinners with white bucktail treble hook . That should produce .
Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 AM

Thumbs up Good News

I am glad to hear that BBJ are catching more variety of fish.
Axeman and I saw trophy wood logs on the move on the nsr.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypower View Post
Why do I keep getting skunked!!! lol I have been out about 6 times and only managed 2 suckers. Someone take me to spot x or y please. lol
You ask why you're getting skunked...how about telling us what you're doing and we can work from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluZebec View Post
yeah me too Ive been out 4 times now since possible and not even a bite. tried lots. Pickeral rigs,spoons, jigs, bare jig head, floating rapalas, slip bobber w/bare hook tipped with minnows,worms ect. No luck. what to do what to do.
Right now with the water as dirty as it is your best bet is to just chuck some bait out there and hope for the best. Visibility is terrible so a nice smelly bait that they can 'sniff out' helps.

Mostly burbot and the odd sucker coming out now and then. Try tossing a minnow out fairly shallow (maybe 30' out) and see what happens

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 PM

email me @ master_shawn69@hotmail.com or add me to fb@ shawn sami if you want some advice or want to go to a great spot for fishing, i catch and release with care,
and fishing is awsome all year round in the nsr, goodluck
Old 05-03-2011, 05:05 PM

Ive been out 3 times, skunked twice but the third time(Sunday) I got a mooneye first, redhorse Suckerfish next 2 brown suckers and a goldeye. All from the same spot. I'm taking my friend out this weekend if it's still productive I'll let you know where it is. I was using a pickerel rig and worms.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Sturgeon bite is on hooked into a nice one this evening few suckers and burbs too
Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
Sturgeon bite is on hooked into a nice one this evening few suckers and burbs too
really? sturgeon bite is on hey. hooked into a nice one? did you see it? spool you out and burn your reel up? tell us more alodar we like stories. any photos? thanks.

Dace

Tags
edmonton, fishing, north saskatchewan river