Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Badger Lake Warning

Was at Badger yesterday and was suprised to see a truck thru the ice. Upon further investigation it seems the truck has been there a week or two. Anyone know the story behind it.
We decided to drill holes out to test the ice. We started at 18” at shore and stopped at 14”. Then we decided to start fishing. This is where things got scary. I started drilling holes and the ice thickness varyied from 14” to 6”.

I admit I haven’t fished badger in many years but I don’t ever recall the ice being this unpredictable.

707CFA69-34D0-44A9-88D2-298983C90D24.jpg
Old 01-15-2018, 10:45 AM

I’m over at Newell and it’s similar. 8-16” everywhere I have drilled and there are guys cruising around in 1 tons. Even in my car is sketchy.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:06 PM

Wow, that is unpredictable. Not the same as central or North where the ice is 20 inches or deeper.

Too bad about the truck through.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:54 PM

Default 2017/2018 Ice Thickness Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb
Was at Badger yesterday and was suprised to see a truck thru the ice. Upon further investigation it seems the truck has been there a week or two.

Don’t you pay a fine for every day that your vehicle is in the lake? I would have thought that a speedy recovery would be better for all involved.
"To be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars- to be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them...to think seldom of your enemies, often of your friends, and every day of Christ; to spend as much time as you can in God's out-of doors- these are the little guideposts on the footpaths to peace."

-Henry Van Dyke

Instagram: @mharder80
Old 01-15-2018, 09:12 PM

Lots of sketchy ice down south this year. As little as 5" on the reservoir we fished yesterday. We did not venture over the deep spots to drill any holes so maybe even less in the middle. Normally 14" to 16" by now.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 PM

Eagle at 17"
Old 01-15-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post
Was at Badger yesterday and was suprised to see a truck thru the ice. Upon further investigation it seems the truck has been there a week or two. Anyone know the story behind it.
We decided to drill holes out to test the ice. We started at 18” at shore and stopped at 14”. Then we decided to start fishing. This is where things got scary. I started drilling holes and the ice thickness varyied from 14” to 6”.

I admit I haven’t fished badger in many years but I don’t ever recall the ice being this unpredictable.

Attachment 141678

There was a post where the poster said he showed up right as it happened and took the 2 guys in and gave them a ride. I'd say it was around 6 weeks ago.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:

Attachment 141678
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy View Post
Me and a buddy made plans to go fishing today a while ago and decided to brave the cold. Fishing was not good only managed 1 bite.

On the way to where I went fishing decided to drive by badger to see if anyone was out there, a little ways past the boat launch noticed a truck out on ice, took another look and realized the truck had broke through the ice. Thought it it must have been there awhile and then I seen 3 guys bailing out of the truck. I quickly made my way to the shore and went to see if they were alright and other than being a bit rattled they were fine. Nothing we could do to get truck as it was sinking but gave the fellas a ride. Thermometer on my truck said -36. Glad everyone was ok, could've turned out real bad in them temps. Just a reminder to be careful on ice even with these cold temps ice is not safe in the south yet. Only 8 inches on lake I was fishing at. The guys that fell through said they drilled a test hole and was 13inches so figured it was good.

Stay safe everyone!!!!!!
found it 12-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Old 01-15-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:

Attachment 141678
Which part of Badger was this at?
Old 01-16-2018, 07:42 AM

Was on Ressor yesterday. Easy 14"+ but so many layers of different ice types I don't know that I would want to drive on it. Did see one truck on, but everyone else was walking,