Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2011, 10:31 PM

Default Island Lake Lodge Northwest of Fort Mcmurray

Hi guys and girls I'm new to this forum and had a couple questions for you:

1. I was planning a fly in trip up to this lodge this summer...has anyone been here before or heard good or bad things about the experience?

http://www.islandlake.biz/ (here's the website)

2. Any tips or recommendations on what to bring on a fly in trip for 7 days. I'm a pretty experienced fisherman so I think I got the tackle topic covered. But was thinking more on the topic of food or snacks or anything else that I might need up there for 7 days. They supply running water, dishes, bbq, fridge, drinking water for $20 and all that kind of stuff.

I've never done a trip like this before so just wanted to get some of your opinions on any tips or tricks you may have picked up on in the past.

Thanks for your time and help,

Fisherman31 =)
Old 12-24-2011, 12:39 PM

My father went there with a bunch of his friends in 1992. Had an absolute blast. The fishing was phenomenal. Lots of good sized fish. I will let someone else elaborate on the food and snacks part because each to his own. One thing to keep in mind though is that most fly in camps have a limit on how much gear/food/ supplies you bring. So try to keep the weight down where possible. If you are going with a group of people, split the food duties among everyone ( One guy brings bread, another meat, etc. etc.) As far as fishing gear goes. Bring your standard pike and walleye gear. If you feel adventerous, try Namur Lake to the south for Lake Trout, and last but not least. Be certain to check the regs. for limits, bait bans etc. Have fun!
Old 12-24-2011, 04:00 PM

Thanks Flyfisher87!

Yeah the max. weight on the plane is 60lbs which isn't too bad. I'm just hoping to find out some of the small little tricks that you usually find out once you get to the lake and have no access to anything once your there!

The cool thing about Island Lake is on their site it says you can portage to Gardiner Lake which is a registered trophy lake in Alberta apparently...so I`m sure we will venture over there on the trip as well!

Thanks again, and look forward to hearing anymore tips!!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:57 PM

I spent a month there in 2010 working an oil project nearby in August. It was a great experience, great hosts. No need for a guide as the fishing is "can't miss". Best for walleye earlier in june/july, pike in the 40 inch range anytime. I tried all kinds of tackle but kept coming back to the five of diamonds spoon. Bring a dozen with long steel leaders. Never tried Gardiner but it is an easy walk between the lakes. I plan on going back in 2012.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:19 AM

Thanks Bikerman!! Great to hear. My friend and I are booked June 10-17th, so we are really pumped for the trip (our first fly in and my first time being at any lake with a realistic potential of getting pike over 10lbs). Their website is grossly outdated and lacks new information so we were hoping to get some good feedback on this forum.

Thanks again!
Old 12-25-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerman View Post
I spent a month there in 2010 working an oil project nearby in August. It was a great experience, great hosts. No need for a guide as the fishing is "can't miss". Best for walleye earlier in june/july, pike in the 40 inch range anytime. I tried all kinds of tackle but kept coming back to the five of diamonds spoon. Bring a dozen with long steel leaders. Never tried Gardiner but it is an easy walk between the lakes. I plan on going back in 2012.
Gardiner is where my father and his group spent most of their fishing time. Catching an 8lb walleye became the norm for a couple days. Biggest pike of the trip was 13lb I think. They also fished the Sand River that connects Eaglenest and Gardiner Lakes. Quick tip: If you do fish the river, don't overlook the beaver dams. I know a 12lb walleye was hooked and lost close to one during that trip.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:15 AM

I was there many many years ago, I actually can't remember exactly but maybe 20 years??? If it hasn't changed you will have a great time. Lots of pike and walleye. The trip to Gardner is more than worth it. The pike fishing was incredible, with many in the 15-20lb range.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:46 AM

Make sure you post pics when you get back. Won't hurt to take extra batteries and an extra SD card too. You should see lots of wildlife. The scenery is amazing.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the info guys! We were definitely going to check out Gardiner at some point, but will probably do it early in the 7 day trip so we can go back if its awesome.

Yup will totally post a bunch of pics after the trip!

Tags
advice, fly in fishing trip, island lake, secrets, tips