Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-18-2009, 08:51 PM

Default Winter Elk Hunt Tips

Hi,
I am a Yukoner and hoping to take advantage of the new regulations up here regarding Elk Hunting.

This year for the first time ever 40 tags were drawn for Elk. These were split up into different areas (Core and buffer areas). The management theory is to contain the Elk into a specific area in the Yukon by allowing open hunting outside of these core and buffer areas.

I wasn't lucky enough to get drawn but am hoping to get out this winter and see if I can find one in a legal zone. Hunting is open for cows and bulls until March 31st. There have been some big Elk growing up here (A real big one came out of the core zone) without hunting pressure and am pretty excited to try to find some.

With all that being said, I don't know much about Elk hunting and was hoping I can get some advice on strategies, where to look and any general comments on Elk hunting in colder weather in the snow. I have seen some excellent threads on helping out new guys with different animals and just figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I will be accessing the area by snowmachine as I have to travel out of the buffer zones and will be going out for some scouting in the next few weeks. There is between one and three feet of snow on the ground and I plan on searching for tracks and glassing from some ridges to start with. The area is mostly boreal pine forests (not too dense). I am comfortable being in the bush and have moose and sheep hunting experience but am looking for elk advice.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 PM

What are the food sources like up there north? Is there much for open feilds. This time of year and especially if there is snow the elk will be looking for food. I would hunt areas where the wind has blown the snow off exposing the grasses below. Also getting out there and lookig for tracks is a great idea! Find out if the elk are even in the area. Might be a good idea to get up high where you can glass. But your best bet is to put yourself in elk country and who knows what you will find!
Good luck!

Tags
advice, elk, tips, winter, yukon