Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Banned

Default Lynx Caught in Edmonton!

I read a story today about a Lynx sighting in Edmonton, complete with a picture of it. I just read that they caught it!

Sorry, I can't copy and paste the article right now.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3591710/ra...tons-west-end/
Old 07-11-2017, 10:59 PM

Wow, cool!
Old 07-12-2017, 05:43 AM
AO Sponsor

Interesting, not surprising in the least though. I thought Mr Beskowhiney's statement kind of odd, "...Beskowiney said he wanted to assure the public that lynx pose no threat to humans and very little threat to pets..."

I believe that statement to be very untrue, in particular if the lynx was rabid or if some city mongrel dawg started bugging it, and especially so if it was hungry and your prize kitty walked by, maybe even if he wasn't hungry, just cuz he probably don't like little kitties, like the way that bobcats don't.

Whatever.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Interesting, not surprising in the least though. I thought Mr Beskowhiney's statement kind of odd, "...Beskowiney said he wanted to assure the public that lynx pose no threat to humans and very little threat to pets..."

I believe that statement to be very untrue, in particular if the lynx was rabid or if some city mongrel dawg started bugging it, and especially so if it was hungry and your prize kitty walked by, maybe even if he wasn't hungry, just cuz he probably don't like little kitties, like the way that bobcats don't.

Whatever.
Mr Beskowhiney seems to make several strange statements .......

As for why the wildcat was in the city, peace officer Shawn Beskowiney said it was possibly a hitchhiking kitty.

“[It’s] very possible it could’ve caught a ride in one of the transport services at the yard where it’s at… just like a house cat climbing up under the ol’ truck at the farm. That’s possibly what happened.”

Although lynx sightings are rare because they’re so shy, Beskowiney said it’s not unusual to see wildlife in and around Edmonton because it’s the largest urban park in North America.

end quote

Yeah - OK - it hitched a ride on a transport truck ?!?

What a far fetched completely speculative statement.

Maybe it just wandered down the river valley into town - which is more plausible?

What a dumb thing to say. Probably stroked his ego getting interviewed as an "expert" and just kept on chirping trying to sound all popped collar, wink n' gun smart.

LOL - I laughed when I read this.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:59 AM

That was me outside my office! Global asked to use my pics for that story. There was a few people around it and it was just sitting there seemed like it was a little distressed with all the semi trucks running around. We got animal control who called fish and wildlife. I guess they caught it in the afternoon. Just glad it didn't make it out to the yellowhead and get hit.

I have seen a couple up North fishing but they are gone into the bush before you can get a good look, once in a lifetime shot in the city for sure.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:43 AM

Petty cool, mishthefish.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Mr Beskowhiney seems to make several strange statements .......

As for why the wildcat was in the city, peace officer Shawn Beskowiney said it was possibly a hitchhiking kitty.

“[It’s] very possible it could’ve caught a ride in one of the transport services at the yard where it’s at… just like a house cat climbing up under the ol’ truck at the farm. That’s possibly what happened.”

Although lynx sightings are rare because they’re so shy, Beskowiney said it’s not unusual to see wildlife in and around Edmonton because it’s the largest urban park in North America.

end quote

Yeah - OK - it hitched a ride on a transport truck ?!?

What a far fetched completely speculative statement.

Maybe it just wandered down the river valley into town - which is more plausible?

What a dumb thing to say. Probably stroked his ego getting interviewed as an "expert" and just kept on chirping trying to sound all popped collar, wink n' gun smart.

LOL - I laughed when I read this.
That's because he is a dumb guy... I know him personally... He's waaaaay out in left field, and you can tell that just by how he speaks in this article.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
... just kept on chirping trying to sound all popped collar, wink n' gun smart.