Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-13-2017, 01:50 AM

Default Browning BXC Ammo

Looking at this today. They look good and ballistics on a 300 win mag look decent; 185gr. wondering if anyone has used this or other Browning ammunition. I'm using Federal fusion currently; 165 & 180gr. Deciding how they would compare up
Plans for Suffield this season.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2017, 02:53 PM

I've never shot the new Browning ammo, but on that cartridge they are a bonded core bullet with an aluminum tip. They are rated for big game (elk plus) and they have the iconic buck mark as a headstamp. The ammunition is manufactured by Winchester so expect similar consistency - they even nickel-plate the brass.

Fusions are designed for deer sized game, but it is a bonded bullet and many people use them on larger beasts. On their website they suggest different products for elk hunting. You would probably be fine with them, but if it was me I would try a different bullet. Buy a few kinds and see what your rifle likes.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:54 PM

Fusion's are just fine ... I took a large cow elk at Suffield from my .308 at 220M with a 165gr fusion ... thru the first shoulder / heart & lodged in the off shoulder

A friend took a 6x6 at Suffield with a 180 fusion from a 300 win mag at about 700M ... the bullet did not expand at all ... the only thing that saved the day was that it was spined ... it bent the bullet but the bullet did not expand

My Suffield bull hunt i used a 300wsm with a nosler 190gr LR-accubond ( approx 2950 fps)that apparently expands as low as 1300fps because of that non-expansion of the fusion ... I am well practiced to 400M with a variety of calibers .. had a huge 7x7 run in on me and the closest it got was 583M ... let him roll over the ridge as it was to far for my skill set ... on the way back to the truck had a bachelor group of raghorns run up to me ... i picked the one that allowed no damage to the others in the event of a pass through at 25M ... shot high in the shoulder ... no pass through ... dropped in its shadow ... a little bit of the front shoulder messed up and to of heart gone

fusion's will be fine if you do not let the velocity for expansion go below it's threshold of expansion ... I think their upper end is unlimited (almost) as the jacket is molecularly bonded to the core so it can never separate in theory

let us know your result